Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD RS 2 SS View Post
chase what drag shocks ( full set front & rear ) would you suggest for my 4000 lb pig ?

thanks guys for all your thoughts .

i'm looking to maximize my current set up for now . then a forged bottom end after that .
Pfadt Drag Race coil overs. We have what is believed to be the only new set left in existence.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Pfadt Drag Race coil overs. We have what is believed to be the only new set left in existence.

Those are sweet.

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
I ran my best times with drop springs.
I have coilovers now and the ride is so much better.

Last edited by rforbes; 10-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNYS2SS/RS View Post
Those are sweet.
It is a shame they are hidden underneath the car. The good news is that they function as great as they look.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNYS2SS/RS View Post
Try disconnecting or removing the front sway bar and set the rear sway bar at it stiffest setting.
PLEASE DONT!! this could be dangerous and isnt the way to go.This is IRS the old straight axle tips dont work with irs
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD RS 2 SS View Post
i've been running drop spring on my car sense 2009 when i got the car . i started modding in the winter of 09 & i've been pushing 650+ rwhp with a D1 procharger through a stalled auto ever sense . i've ran a best of 10.78 et @ 127 mph with a 1.58 60' . i've never ran my car with the stock springs , so my question is . are the drop springs holding me back compaired to the stock springs . thanks for any info you can provide
I think the drop springs vs. OEM spring difference would be marginal at best. Your 1.5 60FT is pretty good honestly. The thing I like about the centrifugal superchargers is they allow you to get out of the hole without blowing the tires off. There are however much better set ups that are specific to drag racing.

The best possible set up is a stiff rear spring/sway bar and a soft front set up on an IRS car. We've been setting up Vette's this way for years and I've had the pleasure to help set up a few of the fastest in the country.

The stiff rear spring/damping/sway keeps your camber/toe setting as close to zero as possible which helps to maintain contact surface. The front end needs to lift to transfer the weight to the rear and this can be done with a longer/softer front spring. We've also disconnected the front sway to allow the front end to lift more efficiently; I only recommend this for drag specific set ups and not on the street.

The other important pieces on the 5th Gens are sub-frame mounts, rear upper control arm bushings, trailing arms and toe links along with diff bushings for the higher HP applications. We have our 5th Gen A6 running 10.83 @ 128 with a 5000+ DA; we're at 4500FT.. Our 60fts are 1.4 to 1.5 consistently on a substandard track with 20" drag radials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
PLEASE DONT!! this could be dangerous and isnt the way to go.This is IRS the old straight axle tips dont work with irs
The IRS actually benefits more from this type of set up than a straight axle. It is important to maintain camber and toe in the rear for a few reason. The first is contact patch and we don't need any explanation there; more rubber = more traction. The next thing is efficiency; if you've got toe in or out you're losing forward drive and compromising traction. This is only achieved by having the rear set up stiff. You need to transfer weight so you have to utilize the front end lifting for this; it can been done leaving the sway connected but disconnecting it allows the front end to pick up faster. The trick is using a softer/longer spring up front to help promote lift with a soft damping setting.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
1 BAD RS 2 SS

Drives: 2010 RS 2 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
I think the drop springs vs. OEM spring difference would be marginal at best. Your 1.5 60FT is pretty good honestly. The thing I like about the centrifugal superchargers is they allow you to get out of the hole without blowing the tires off. There are however much better set ups that are specific to drag racing.

The best possible set up is a stiff rear spring/sway bar and a soft front set up on an IRS car. We've been setting up Vette's this way for years and I've had the pleasure to help set up a few of the fastest in the country.

The stiff rear spring/damping/sway keeps your camber/toe setting as close to zero as possible which helps to maintain contact surface. The front end needs to lift to transfer the weight to the rear and this can be done with a longer/softer front spring. We've also disconnected the front sway to allow the front end to lift more efficiently; I only recommend this for drag specific set ups and not on the street.

The other important pieces on the 5th Gens are sub-frame mounts, rear upper control arm bushings, trailing arms and toe links along with diff bushings for the higher HP applications. We have our 5th Gen A6 running 10.83 @ 128 with a 5000+ DA; we're at 4500FT.. Our 60fts are 1.4 to 1.5 consistently on a substandard track with 20" drag radials.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
whats your car set up consist of to achieve the 1.4 60's ? is it a full on drag set up or is it a street / strip set up ? i usually trailer the car to the track , so no long drives . just around town on the weekends for now if thats what it takes to improve my set up . you can PM me if thats better for you .
thanks
1 BAD RS 2 SS
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Last I spoke with Graham from LPE the three fastest IRS 5th Gens were all on Lingenfelter Dedicated Drag Coilovers. Call LPE and speak with Graham or Jason. They will get you hooked up with the good stuff.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote