Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #29
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Sorry, I had to. It seems as if the stereo in the convertibles is better than the coupes. Mine sounds crystal clear. My car came with the sub in between the rear seats. From what I know, the coupes did not.
That's what I was going to say. While my BA system in my 2011 convertible is not the best I've heard in car audio, it can be very good with good material (usually NOT the radio) and with some playing with the EQ settings. Basically, you have to up the Bass and Treble and pull way back on the Midrange (-5). As far as power and clarity goes, in my convertible it can play VERY loud with decent bass, maybe due to the subwoofer in the back seat. Have others compared the vert with the standard coupe for sound?????
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #30
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Doesn't seem that bad to me, but then maybe I'm just that picky about it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #31
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I'm still running the Boston speakers, but I swapped out the amp and added my JL sub and 5 channel JL amp. That alone was a huge improvement, the speakers aren't amazing but they definitely need more power. My volume generally doesn't see above 25, and my sub doesn't rattle around like that pimp-my-ride garbage. I went for sound quality and I like to feel the sub more than hear it. Eventually I may swap the fronts for my JL components, but I'm pretty happy
Old 04-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #32
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I can honestly say I haven't noticed mine. I have quite often found myself driving around with the radio off and listening to the fantastic noise my LS3 with full exhaust makes.
Ditto! I seldom have mine on
Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #33
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
To be fair... The sound system was important to me because of how much I drive the car on the interstate. The 6th gear cruising drone doesn't exactly wow anyone.

That being said, driving around town with the windows down listening to the NPP roar along with the decel pop is pure magic!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #34
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I had the BA system in my car and it was okay though I was wanting a little more substance. I ended up doing the Gen5DIY MyLink retro fit. I wanted real navigation as well as the options for other media sources so this was the best selection for me. I had my speakers upgraded to Affinity and did an Alpine amp and sub thump. Sounds awesome to me and being a year shy of 60yr's on this planet, I still like and seek quality sound with my highs being high and the lows being low. I listen to a wide range of music and it must be on point. Again the BA was okay, better than most I'd say which exception to my 2007 Honda Element SC which is kicking with a 7 speaker system including a sub woofer and for this to be factory, it's awesome!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #35
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
The low output/ low quality stock amp is more of a problem than your speakers. Even though I upgraded the door speakers and tweeters with Focals and added a Alpine PDX-F6 in one car and a JL Audio XD 400 in the other car. No doubt the Focals sound much better than the OEM speakers but the amp is by far the big difference maker. I would highly recommend a amp change or you can still find yourself disappointed just changing the speakers alone.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #36
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Ok, where's the amp located? Can I easily swap old one out for new one in? I have a 2011 SS Convertible with the Sub in the back seat. I would imagine that makes a difference in the amp and hookup wires.

Last edited by samman11; 05-02-2016 at 09:55 AM.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #37
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
In the trunk at rear on the drivers side.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #38
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
This is the best sounding stock stereo i've ever had. I had the bose in my Grand Prix and I've had a Monsoon as well in a Grand Am. This is hands down awesome as far as stock goes. But there is a big difference in sound quality due to the subwoofer in the Vert. If I didn't have that extra thump, I'd probably be maxing out the bass setting and cranking volume higher to get more bass/balanced sound which would put me into the amps distortion level as the OP is complaining about. I rarely need to go into the 30's.

J
All I can say to statements like this is, the sound in my 2007 Tahoe LT is VASTLY superior to that in my 2014 2SS Camaro.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #39
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the factory boston system in my camaro is the worst system i have ever had in any vehicle.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 AM   #40
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
The low output/ low quality stock amp is more of a problem than your speakers. Even though I upgraded the door speakers and tweeters with Focals and added a Alpine PDX-F6 in one car and a JL Audio XD 400 in the other car. No doubt the Focals sound much better than the OEM speakers but the amp is by far the big difference maker. I would highly recommend a amp change or you can still find yourself disappointed just changing the speakers alone.
Yup. The factory amp whether internal or the external Boston amp is the issue. When adding an aftermarket amp for any reason, a audio summerizer is critical to have. Even just adding a sub amp I normally use the Lc2i from Audio Control. Plain RCA line-out converters just don't do the job correctly
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #41
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Little snippet of mine and it's just right for me, keeping an OEM look and the addition of Navi and other music sources.

https://vimeo.com/165129469

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #42
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
This is the best sounding stock stereo i've ever had. I had the bose in my Grand Prix and I've had a Monsoon as well in a Grand Am. This is hands down awesome as far as stock goes. But there is a big difference in sound quality due to the subwoofer in the Vert. If I didn't have that extra thump, I'd probably be maxing out the bass setting and cranking volume higher to get more bass/balanced sound which would put me into the amps distortion level as the OP is complaining about. I rarely need to go into the 30's.

J
I'm with you here, Jasper. I have no complaints whatsoever.