Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #29
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
It can be hard to resist the urge, but a couple of things:

1. I care more about the appearance of my car(s) than how fast they can go.
2. The speeding laws are very strict in NY. You do not want to get caught speeding or have speeding tickets on your record. Your insurance will definitely remind you of this.
3. You can really f*&k up your own life and someone else's if you get into a incident caused by speeding.
4. There are other things to enjoy with the car that don't require speeding or breaking laws.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #30
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I just think of the ticket prices and higher insurance.....and what fun things I could be doing with that cash....keeps the speed reasonable.
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #31
Cward1379

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
I used to be a big fan of a radar detector, I live in the wide open spaces, but heres the deal, if the detector goes off, they got you..unless you run with a rabbit, a car in front of you thats also wanting to run fast..also the hiway patrol hide, and use the detector.

And don't fall for the "jammers", hahahahaha.
Only if it's the laser. If they are running k and ka mine goes off half a mile before I see them up the road. Laser your screwed unless they are lazering someone in front of you and you pick up the signal. Mine has only gone off for laser a handful of times..my radar detector has already paid for itself
Cward1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #32
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I set the speed alarm at 80. It is very easy to find yourself going fast in these cars. They're just so dang stable and easy to drive fast, I don't even realize how quick I'm going. Cruise control helps.
This. Until recently, I had a '96 LT4 Vette, this car was quick but I knew how fast I was going. The Vette had great feedback in that department. I also had an '06 Caddy STS V6. Now that V6 only had 255HP but that car was so quiet and smooth, I would be going down the road, look at my speedo and I'm doing 65 in a 45.

Now, in the SS, while not quite as silky smooth as the Cadillac, it's poses the same danger. But it's not really fear of the L.E.O.'s that keeps me in check so much as the number of absolute idiots out there that are "unsafe at any speed".
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by '01LS1 View Post
They have similar advertised HP. That is where the similarity ends though.

1999 Pontiac SLP Trans Am Firehawk 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter mile 13.4
2001 Pontiac SLP Firehawk Anniversary 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter mile 13.1

GM's media on their site shows the 2015 V6 Camaro 0-60 @ 5.9 seconds.
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-sports-car.html

Not arguing or anything at all. But there are more differences with most vehicles than just advertised hp.
Nice.....people seem to really forget this.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #34
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
I used to be a big fan of a radar detector, I live in the wide open spaces, but heres the deal, if the detector goes off, they got you..unless you run with a rabbit, a car in front of you thats also wanting to run fast..also the hiway patrol hide, and use the detector.

And don't fall for the "jammers", hahahahaha.
Believe what you like but my Valentine V1 has saved my a$$ more times then I can remember. When they laser cars it catches the ones in front of you and if theyre behind me the V1 shows it. There are always going to be the one guy who sits out in the middle of nowhere and there are no other cars around and he will get you. But, living in Vancouve there are always other cars around. Don't get one if you think they dont work but I'll bet there are a whole lot of people who will tell you their V1 is a great tool to have in your car.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #35
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Todd, Ive had them..look at how they work, laser is pin point, radar gets the 1st guy and thats what I said…Im glad you think your radar detector has saved you money, but its Valentine thats laughing all the way to the bank..

By
the way, I have a marble that when dropped in your gas tank will double your milage and increase your horsepower…want one??
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #36
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:

Not arguing or anything at all. But there are more differences with most vehicles than just advertised hp.
Full suspension upgrade!
Software Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #37
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
I was really good today. I kept with traffic. The original speeds I listed, there were few cars on the road then.

I also figure if I carry my 9mm with me, that's enough to keep me going a prudent speed. No need to "declare" I have it when pulled over (and that is a discussion elsewhere).

I'm going to set the speed alarm at 75 as well.
Software Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #38
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Quote:

Wow, touchy touchy

My observation was more about how far performance has come in a little over 10 years. The base engine puts out close to the hp of the high performance engine of then. Torque is not as much, and the car weighs more....but isn't this a great time to buy performance cars?
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #39
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
How not to drive fast, just sit back and cruise no need to smash the pedal. That's all I do and on occasion I'll push it a little more but that's when there is no one around. I know the car is fast I don't need to prove it day in and day out. Plus don't feel like going to the pumps 3 times a week cause if me being an idiot. Insurance is where I want it to be and don't feel like paying more than I want to. If you want speed go to a track or strip where it's safe.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #40
Rock on

Drives: black 2011 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Cruise control.
These cars have Cruise Control ?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Learn that you're the boss. Right now, you're letting your car tell you how fast to drive, even though you already recognize that the way things are going it's going to get you in trouble sooner or later. Rein it (and yourself) in a bit. A little self discipline here might even help you at the track.

Slide the seat back just a little, and tilt the front of the seat cushion up a little if you can. That tends to take a little weight off your right foot. I'll do that on longer trips if I keep finding my speed creeping up too far. I'm 67, so even if age by itself takes a few mph off the worst you're likely to exceed the limits by, it's no guarantee at all that you'll never speed. Trust me on this.

Take it to a track day. After you've been at WOT from 100 to 120 or more, cruising along at 80 in a 55 is going to seem so tame that you might just as well tuck in with everybody else at 60. In any event, the further over the limit you are going, the more important it becomes to NOT be the guy the furthest over that limit or otherwise the most noticeable. Hell, you might even discover that excessive speeding is a pretty mindless thing requiring little in the way of driving talent and gradually give the worst of it up.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #42
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Software Guy View Post
In all fun ans seriousness.... I love my 2000 Firehawk (4th gen trans am) and with 330 HP I thought the car was (and it is) fast and a blast to drive. I certainly have a hard time keeping to any speed limit (save for school zones & work zones).

Fast forward to the 2014 SS and this car is just insane fast and wicked fun to drive. I found myself going 56 in a 30 and then 80 in a 55 today. I've learned to ignore the HUD.

I am so going to get my a$$ in trouble.....

I hope the snow slows me down or keeps me at home.

I think when the lease is up I'll get a silverado. The new ATS V would be just as bad as the Camaro!

Maybe I should trade my wife for her Prius........

My God-daughter's grandfather got a puppy this summer.

He is a good dog, but he's a puppy. Tears around, doesn't know when to stop, everything is exciting and makes him get wound up. He's playing with you, and then he'll go over the top, and he gets corrected.

Now, he wishes he knew how to not get whacked on the ass with a rolled up newspaper. And eventually he learns what to do and what not to do. But he's a puppy, and he needs that negative reinforcement from time to time because he's not as smart as you or me.

...get the picture?