Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
For those with the torque converter issue

I had the engine shudder problem in my 2012 like alot of people have had and took it to the dealership to get fixed 3 weeks ago. A couple days later they had my car done and it ran fine.

The next day they call and tell me they forgot to put a heat shield back in when they were working on it and offered to come get it while I was at work and get it fixed. People make mistakes and I understand that so I just said OK and they got it done without any inconvenience to me.

Now here's where I have a question. Do any of the mechanics here know if the rear diffuser has to be removed during the process of replacing the torque converter?

The reason I'm asking is today the rear diffuser popped out on the driver's side, I noticed the plastic around the two pipes has melt marks on both sides, and somebody tried to shoot a screw in there to hold it back up. The place where the screw is supposed to go is tore up(where the diffuser attaches to the bumper) and it looks like they just shot a screw a couple inches away into it to hold it in.

Last edited by Red Chief; 07-31-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
bkdamon

Drives: Rally Yellow 2012 1LT
I just had mine done today. I'll check it out and see if mine looks "removed". The only reason I can think of would be that they needed to drop the exhaust to remove the transmission?
bkdamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Red Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdamon View Post
I just had mine done today. I'll check it out and see if mine looks "removed". The only reason I can think of would be that they needed to drop the exhaust to remove the transmission?
I'm thinking they do but I don't know for sure. It looks to me like they pulled it off to do the install and put it back on after test driving it and the exhaust pipes were still hot.

Now how they tore up the tab where the screw goes into the bumper I don't know, but it really looks like it'll need a whole new bumper to get the diffuser attached correctly.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
bkdamon

Drives: Rally Yellow 2012 1LT
Yep, looked at mine and they definitely messed with the exhaust. My axle backs are not quite on center and the clamps are in a different position.
bkdamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
myrally

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs summit white
ive had mine replaced twice the first time I did notice about a week later around the diffuser exhaust the plastic had melted spots.. it was very small I really didn't think about it ..
myrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
They have to pull the diffuser to drop the exhaust, to remove the Tranny.

I'd make them buy you a new diffuser. I'm getting sick of hearing horror stories from useless dealership mechanics. This is what you get when you pay them flat rate.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Red Chief

Called the dealership today. The shop manager said he can't look at it till Monday.

I'm about 2 steps away from never dealing with these people again.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
I'm a tech of 30 years and I've had my trans out and did not pull the diffuser off.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Red Chief

Update:

The shop manager owned up to it and apologized for the damage. I don't know exactly what happened when it was in the shop but they're going to replace the diffuser and the bumper cover. I don't like that it happened in the first place but it looks like they're going to make it right.