Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2011 Camaro5 Fest (II)

View Poll Results: Camaro5fest 2011 - East coast or west coast?
East coast 353 1.39%
West coast 211 0.83%
Central US 204 0.80%
PQ's House 24,638 96.98%
Voters: 25406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #127
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post
Charlotte N.C.

Charlotte Motor Speedway....

Great Location and Great Tracks....

Lot's of Nascar Teams and Motorsports in the area...

Sponsors and Support....
I totally agree!!! Theres also a drag strip right next to the Speedway and plenty of resturants and motels. I say send it to the Queen City--Charlotte, NC
Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #128
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Just keep a few things in mind as you ponder the possibilities:

1. Big tracks cost big money. It's about the people not the track. SGMP was an excellent track and bent over backwards. The event would not have gone as well without their support. Tracks that host NASCAR and/or NHRA aren't going to be as accommodating.

2. You will end up with one event a year. Two is too much and each event will be substandard based on how well C5Fest 1 went. Sponsors can only be spread so thin. People need plenty of time to plan for this event. Think of the Super Bowl twice a year - it would lose some of its luster.

3. If you go to a big city do not expect the level of hospitality we had in Valdosta. The police were beyond hospitable. At a place like Las Vegas we are a small fish in a big pond.

4. The event should be based on the Camaro and the people. Other venues just dilute the focus of the event.

5. To be fair, a western event sounds like a decent plan. Albeit will probably require local west coast mods/staff to pull it off efficiently.

Just my <.02
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #129
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
How about Salt Lake City? Plenty of hotels and they have a track out south of the Salt Lake. Here is the website.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/

Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge is running here in the Fall.

Just a thought!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #130
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
San Antonio, drag strip and road course...
Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #131
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Hartland in Topeka can handle the crowd for sure. One thing that was a disappointment to me was the fact that the Saturday night track party didn't happen. I'm not sure what happened there but it was one of the main events where everyone would come together in one place and socialize. Let's make sure that our main socializing activity happens next year!
Works for me. I would drive to Topeka. Maybe a month later to be sure all mountian passes are clear. Needs to be more in the middle of North America. Who knows what could happen. Could be even bigger.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #132
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
I am all for Lost Wages if they happen to go out west perfect facilities just need to make sure we avoid (June-August, and late October-Early November because of SEMA as hotel rooms are jacked up and most places are sold out.

We would have no problem getting hotel rooms most of the strip hotels have large parking garages I am sure we could get one hotel to be the host hotel (My vote is the Wynn Las Vegas

Sean
Works for me. I know The Strip @ Las Vegas track manager. Be there for a PSCA race May 1&2. I will ask Chris to check out our site to guage interest by The Strip at LVMS.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #133
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Vegas would be good
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #134
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I'm a big northerner at heart so I don't know how much I'd fit in, but somewhere in Texas would be the best choice since it's dead center and everyone from around the country will be able to make it. If it's on the west coast, then I'm screwed.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #135
Timberline

Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Just keep a few things in mind as you ponder the possibilities:

1. Big tracks cost big money. It's about the people not the track. SGMP was an excellent track and bent over backwards. The event would not have gone as well without their support. Tracks that host NASCAR and/or NHRA aren't going to be as accommodating.

2. You will end up with one event a year. Two is too much and each event will be substandard based on how well C5Fest 1 went. Sponsors can only be spread so thin. People need plenty of time to plan for this event. Think of the Super Bowl twice a year - it would lose some of its luster.

3. If you go to a big city do not expect the level of hospitality we had in Valdosta. The police were beyond hospitable. At a place like Las Vegas we are a small fish in a big pond.

4. The event should be based on the Camaro and the people. Other venues just dilute the focus of the event.

5. To be fair, a western event sounds like a decent plan. Albeit will probably require local west coast mods/staff to pull it off efficiently.

Just my <.02
Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #136
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
...Just some thoughts so you guys know where our heads are at. Of course SGMP will remain the top contender for anything we do on the east coast. Second. If you look at our membership, CA, AZ and NV have enough members alone to have a bigger showing than what we did this year. Just food for thought. However, West coast events are usually much more expensive. I do think we should at least have a west one year and East another year. We have been asked to consider two events a year but I have concerns that we may get sponsor limited and that it will be difficult to have GM attend both events...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
We are listening, guys...the next Fest is probably not going to be until '11 (the once annual thing seems to be a good formula)...but we're listening.
IMHO, alternating between SGMP and a west coast location would probably be the best solution to accomodate both coasts. If the decision is made for a west coast location in 2011, then I would recommend scheduling the event in March for cooler weather. Ideally, 55 - 65 degree weather would be much more beneficial for our cars and our skin. Regardless of location, we can expect to double the size of this event due to word of mouth, forum marketing, and other mitigating factors. It was an amazing experience and feel fortunate to have taken part in the first event in Camaro5.com history.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #137
5THGENRS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS, 08 IOM G8 GT, 87ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCamaro2010 View Post
How about Indianapolis? O'Reilly Raceway Park is there...also a little oval track called the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Dang you beat me to it. Someone had to say it. Indy is the race capitol of the world. Oreilly has a small 1/8 oval i believe, the famous drag strip (venue of the U.S. Nationals) and it also has an area for road course which also can be used as an auto cross area as well.
2500 = Preferenced (1/12/2010)
3000 = Accepted by Production (1/13/2010) TPW = (2/8/2010)
3100 = Sequenced (1/29/2010)
3300 = Scheduled (1/29/2010)
3400 = Broadcast (1/29/2010)
3800 = Produced (2/10/2010) VIN # 2G1FG1EVXA9192608
4150 = Invoiced (2/11/2010)
4200 = Shipped (2/12/2010)
5000 = Delivered to Dealer (2/24/2010)
6000 = Delivered to Customer (3/1/2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #138
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I'm a big northerner at heart so I don't know how much I'd fit in, but somewhere in Texas would be the best choice since it's dead center and everyone from around the country will be able to make it. If it's on the west coast, then I'm screwed.
I would go to Texas but if you look at a map of the country and where the interstates meet, Topeka Kansas is just about perfectly located. Being farther north it makes it a more attractive spot for those coming from Canada; like Oshawa. People want to have their cars there; I know I do, so it has to be a strategically reasonable location for driving to.

The problem with Vegas is it's such a huge "go to" location for the whole world that it gets complicated to fit an event in. It's going to be MUCH more expensive for both lodging and food. I've never been to Kansas but I imagine food and lodging at Topeka would be much more affordable.

Also keep in mind what the organizers are going to have to go through to put this together; at Vegas they'd be small potatoes. Topeka which already has hosted a national race event would probably be much easier to deal with and they already know what, where and how to handle something like this.

Vegas would be great for the west coast but if you want the whole country to be able to reach this, then Topeka which is as central a location as you can get makes more sense.

Having a yearly sub-meet where one is at SGMP which it sounds like they loved C5 being there and will be even more accommodating as a result, and one in the west would be fine (although the C5 organizers might as well just make this a full time job) but I would definitely want a once-a-year meet for everyone so I could get a chance to meet the people from the east half of the country.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #139
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5THGENRS View Post
Dang you beat me to it. Someone had to say it. Indy is the race capitol of the world. Oreilly has a small 1/8 oval i believe, the famous drag strip (venue of the U.S. Nationals) and it also has an area for road course which also can be used as an auto cross area as well.
I've been to an enthusiast event at O'Reilly and it was perfect.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #140
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I would go to Texas but if you look at a map of the country and where the interstates meet, Topeka Kansas is just about perfectly located. Being farther north it makes it a more attractive spot for those coming from Canada; like Oshawa. People want to have their cars there; I know I do, so it has to be a strategically reasonable location for driving to.

The problem with Vegas is it's such a huge "go to" location for the whole world that it gets complicated to fit an event in. It's going to be MUCH more expensive for both lodging and food. I've never been to Kansas but I imagine food and lodging at Topeka would be much more affordable.

Also keep in mind what the organizers are going to have to go through to put this together; at Vegas they'd be small potatoes. Topeka which already has hosted a national race event would probably be much easier to deal with and they already know what, where and how to handle something like this.

Vegas would be great for the west coast but if you want the whole country to be able to reach this, then Topeka which is as central a location as you can get makes more sense.

Having a yearly sub-meet where one is at SGMP which it sounds like they loved C5 being there and will be even more accommodating as a result, and one in the west would be fine (although the C5 organizers might as well just make this a full time job) but I would definitely want a once-a-year meet for everyone so I could get a chance to meet the people from the east half of the country.
Well said
Vegas does sound like an awesome place but smaller remote areas do make a lot more since in the fact that they would be more accommodating to such an event. Where Vegas is a big time city and we are just small fish in the pond as someone said before.

I do forsee it possibly being same place as this year due to the fact that they know the area, what to expect and have a tie with the locals.

I am really liking the idea of alternating locations every other year. It may possibly bring some other volunteers on board to help out with the event?

Closed Thread