Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
I would still buy a 66 mustang and I still have a pinto
Attached Images

Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
Issuing a Warning is exactly what I expect them to do. At least todays youth won't buy a cool vintage car and not be aware of these problems.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I had a 67 mustang with a 390 in it for many years. the gas tank is actually the trunk floor. it was like that for several years that i am aware of, and there were stories of the car catching fire in an accident. i believe the fix for it was to weld in sheet metal behind the back seat seal it off, i did not do it though.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
ALL companies deal with risk versus reward, it's not just Ford.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #19
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 6 View Post

Before we go all "Ford Sucks!" with this, let me tell you what's TRULY dangerous: the 04-06 GTOs. I know...I had one. The gas tank is basically right behind you, moved into the trunk. Yeah, gallons upon gallons of 93 octane just waiting to blow...

The GTO was discontinued in 2007 because GM couldn't get it to pass modern safety tests....so before going off on Ford for old-school mistakes, maybe you should share some hatred for GM for mistakes made less than 10 years ago?
I'd like to see even one shred of evidence you have that suggests the GTO's were dangerous. I'd also like to see what makes you think they killed it off because of safety tests. I owned one as well and it was a known fact that they planned on it being a 3 year model from the beginning. The body style was already dated looking even in 2004. Also the gas tank is 2 feet into the trunk behind a metal cage. As far as I know there has never been a fire caused by being rear ended. The only fire I know of broke out in the engine bay.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:

Before we go all "Ford Sucks!" with this, let me tell you what's TRULY dangerous: the 04-06 GTOs. I know...I had one. The gas tank is basically right behind you, moved into the trunk. Yeah, gallons upon gallons of 93 octane just waiting to blow...

The GTO was discontinued in 2007 because GM couldn't get it to pass modern safety tests....so before going off on Ford for old-school mistakes, maybe you should share some hatred for GM for mistakes made less than 10 years ago?
I saw a corvette Skelton basically at barret Jackson to explain the works of the corvette. And the corvette has the gas tank in the same place according to the one I saw. My dad did not like having a gas tank being strapped to his seat
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Would you rather have a Vega or a Pinto? Hmmmm????
Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
We actually went over something similar to this in my Engineering Ethics class this past semester! As some have stated before me, Ford (and Lee Iacocca) tried to make a car (the Pinto) that was 2,000 pounds and sold for $2,000. They wanted to stick to the slogan "2,000 pounds for $2,000" so they tried to do everything they could to keep it at 2,000. They found out about the low-speed rear-end collision problem a couple months later. They could've recalled all the cars and added a rubber cushion that would cost around $0.15 to prevent the fires. But they calculated the cost of having to pay for court fees and everything incase they get sued and they found out the latter was cheaper. I had no idea this was done to the mustang.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
I saw a corvette Skelton basically at barret Jackson to explain the works of the corvette. And the corvette has the gas tank in the same place according to the one I saw. My dad did not like having a gas tank being strapped to his seat
Where are they supposed to put it? On the roof?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #24
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
So what do you want Ford to do about it? Besides issuing a warning, there is nothing else that would be reasonable.

Also, OP, is this the real reason you wouldn't buy a Ford, or did you have a ridiculous attitude towards Ford products prior to finding this are now using it to make your opinion seem not so silly?
Brian Giovingo, Toby Taylor, David StCyr. Friends of mine when they died in a mustang 1968. It was a 35 mph accident and all of them died inside of 60 seconds of impact. they burned to death.
This particular article was posted in 2009 I can tell you from experience they were sued over it in 1974. It took that long I guess to get the class action approved or whatever. I was not involved in the litigation, but saw thier parents and brothers/ sisters at least 3 times a week for many years after. So no I have no ridiculous attitude towards ford, I have zero respect for ford because of the way they handled this.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:

Huh? That's the first I'm hearing of that one. And where do you think they put the gas tank in the camaro and mustangs? Oh yeah, it's right behind you. You gotta put it somewhere and that's about the best place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
I'd like to see even one shred of evidence you have that suggests the GTO's were dangerous. I'd also like to see what makes you think they killed it off because of safety tests. I owned one as well and it was a known fact that they planned on it being a 3 year model from the beginning. The body style was already dated looking even in 2004. Also the gas tank is 2 feet into the trunk behind a metal cage. As far as I know there has never been a fire caused by being rear ended. The only fire I know of broke out in the engine bay.
I agree. Never heard of a GTO failing any sort of safety testing. In fact I believe it was up to par with the safest sedans on the market at the time.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloeb View Post
Brian Giovingo, Toby Taylor, David StCyr. Friends of mine when they died in a mustang 1968. It was a 35 mph accident and all of them died inside of 60 seconds of impact. they burned to death.
This particular article was posted in 2009 I can tell you from experience they were sued over it in 1974. It took that long I guess to get the class action approved or whatever. I was not involved in the litigation, but saw thier parents and brothers/ sisters at least 3 times a week for many years after. So no I have no ridiculous attitude towards ford, I have zero respect for ford because of the way they handled this.
This shoulda been your first post...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Fatal auto accidents can happen in anything you drive.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #28
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post

Owned 2..........Yes, they were already planned for a 3 yr run cause Holden was changing platforms.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote