Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 07-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Anyone else pissed with GM Canada price?

First I want to say, love my 2011 Camaro, and second I have a wonderful dealership here in Ottawa.
When I went looking for another auto in 2010 it was between the Mustang and Camaro. But I wanted the Camaro as I loved the body style. On another thread I was called a poser because I bought my 2LT for style versus HP. So be it.
Question I have for Canadian Camaro owners: Do you feel that GM Canada is taking advantage of those in Canada who want a Camaro?
Example: GM Canada & Ford Canada both charge upwards of $3,500 to $4,000 for a Candian bought Mustang or Camaro when US dollars and CAD dollars almost equal. I asked "why" to both GM Canada and Ford Canada. Shocked that GM Canada told me they were not affliated with GM USA. Ford told me they have no control as to what dealers charge for Mustangs in Canada.
When I passed this info to my GM dealership (dealership where I bought my Camaro) more or less my sales associate was a little shocked but stressed GM Canada sets the MSRP not the dealership.
Thanks again for the information with respect to the Canadian vs. American MSRP''s of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT. Not only has your email been discussed, with both the General Sales Manager and the General Manager here at Myers Cadillac Chevrolet, but your email will be sent to the District Sales Manager for GM in Ottawa as well. We appreciate the time it took to do that research on your part.

Just do not understand why GM Canada is charging many extra $1000s of extra dollars to Canada residents on MSRP plus our extreme delivery charges (almost twice expensive as US delivery charges). Do not understand why a car built in Canada cost many $1000s of dollars more in Canada then the same car exported to the US (extra expense on base model and all options bumped up by GM Canada, not the dealerships).

For some time US and CAD dollars have been close to equal. Here in Canada we pay $1000s more for a Camaro, not including our extreme extra transport fees and our Canadian taxes. I have no issue with high taxes here in Canada. Those taxes help pay for our healthcare in Canada and as a permanent resident of Canada (in process of changing my citizenship from US to Canada) I am happy to pay high Canada sales taxes.

Issue: Ford respects cross border purchases and warrenties (in respect to the North American Free Trade agreement). Meaning, I could go the US, buy a Mustang, and without restrictions Ford Canada dealerships would respect new car warrenty. However, GM Canada will not respect a new car warrenty if the GM product is bought in the US. GM has limitations like 17,000 KM or 3 years. I am a low mileage driver, will never hit 17,000 KM within 3 years. Because I am a US citizen, Canadian permanent resident, I could have bought my Camaro in the US and saved much money, but I would not have a GM warrenty because GM Canada does not respect cross border warrenty coverage. Ford US and Ford Canada does respect cross border warrenty coverage. GM US and Canada does not respect cross border warrenty coverage.

Sorry for the long post. Love my 2011 Camaro, love my Ottawa dealership, but my thought is GM Canada is screwing buyers in Canada. Doubt I will ever buy another Canadian GM product as GM Canada is screwing their buyers on both increased MSRP prices and not respecting the concept of the North American Free Trade Agreement, cross border warrenty service.

I complained to my dealership during negotiations, they understood and passed my issue to GM Canada. Proud to say I am an activist and since I moved to Canada in 2003, think more Canadians should be proacative, contact their elected officials, and attempt to stop Canadian manufactures charging us Canadian citizens more for products built in Canada.

Bottom line, products made in Canada cost Canadian citizens more then US citizens pay for Canadian products.

Perhaps I am the only one on Canada Camaro5 that is tired of being overcharged for products built in Canada and exported to the US for less money. Do a search of the North American Free Trade Agreement. GM Canada is not breaking the 'agreement' but GM Canada is certainly not ahearing to the concept of the free trade agreement when they determine Canadians should pay much more for the same product, made in Canada, then exported to the US.

I appolize for my rant. Just had to speak up.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Good rant, and well put.
Hopefully one of the GM employees will see this and respond.
We are definetly getting shafted here in Canada with GM Canada not responding to the high value of the Canadian Dollar.
I can understand them not lowering the price right away when our Dollar went up, but it has stabalized, and we should be seeing prices the same as the US.
I own a retail store, and sell a tonne of product from the US, and my prices are the same as going to the US to buy.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
CROOPS34

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metalic 2SS/RS
I just had the same conversation with a friend of mine who works at the Chrysler plant in Brampton the other day. Cars built in Ontario and shipped less then 20kms down the road to a dealership cost $5000 or more than someone in the states. It's absolutely CRAZY!
CROOPS34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
My understanding is you also pay more for your energy than what your government charges the northern states.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Everest

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 Rally Yellow Sun Roof
I brought mine in from the states. Look at this web site for warranty information.

http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...overage-check/
Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
We always get the shaft here in Canada.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Rickerbucks
HP addict

Drives: 2 SS RS,
I bought mine in the US as well... saved a LOT of money (car had 5k miles on it)

Follow my 2013 One Lap Of America Blog here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ShaunAnd...page_new_likes

2014 Jeep SRT 8 - stock
2010 Challenger SRT 8 - stock
2007 Charger SRT8 Super Bee - not stock at all.
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
rs-lt-camaro-

Drives: ram
The price definitely needs to be equal since our dollar is about 4 cents more then the us dollar so thats 4% right their then they charge Canadians more for the same product .
US starting price $ 22,805 (msrp)
Canadian starting price $ 28,445 (msrp)
price difference $ 5640 without the 4% (4 cent dollar difference )
wtf GM Canada
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
I just priced out the factory Hurst shifter thru my dealer and ...............hang on or sit down $1708 for the shifter control and $439 for the Hurst knob and boot. .........
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdinger View Post
I just priced out the factory Hurst shifter thru my dealer and ...............hang on or sit down $1708 for the shifter control and $439 for the Hurst knob and boot. .........
WHAT?????
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
CROOPS34

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metalic 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdinger View Post
That's disgusting!
CROOPS34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
WHAT?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROOPS34 View Post
That's disgusting!
Those are full list retail prices. My cost is slightly lower as a jobber but not much.
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Have you ever tried to purchase a Corvette? Quite frankly I think it's a rip-off to purchase a Corvette in Canada. The purchase price is so far off from the dealers cost or MSRP (US or Canadian), it's amazingly shocking to even think this practice is acceptable or even legal.

GM Canada:
http://configurator.autodata.gm.ca/G...e.html?lang=en

I saw a 2010 Corvette GS (Convertible) for $115k last year, the 2011 ZR1 in the US is $110k. If you figure that one out let me know I'm very interested in hearing the story.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-family

If the price tag of a ZR1 in the US is $110k, and the Canadian MSRP is $143k ($33k difference??????), how much do you think the dealers are setting the price tag?

GM take a lesson here, put your dealers in check you might sell more of your higher end vehicles.

Besides, the dealerships practicing price gouging, I'm more curious as to why after so many years of consumers complaining about this price gouging practice in Canada our provincial Ministries of Consumer Affairs, hasn't gotten involved to invoke an inquiry to investigate the "huge" priced differences especially with a dollar that is now well above US currency.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
duffman

Drives: 67 firebird
you think thats bad look at B.C where its litterly 30k just for the Ls
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote