Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #85
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I have a theory that the reason the spoilers rub is due to the expanding and contracting of the plastic/metal. Anyone else agree with this?

That very may well be a factor.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #86
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
2 months old and I have it, so GM has done absolutely nothing about this.

I plan on storing it for the winter so I am going to wait until November to take it in and get it fixed.
This paint is ridiculously soft!!!
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #87
gappman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Go back and tell him to fix your car. I took mine in and had it back 3 days later. Paid for rental and all.... They will all claim it is the first they have seen.. Print the 10 pages of pictures and posts at C5 and hand it to him..... My service receipt read "loose spoiler".
Yes he is! I'm going to schedule the repair next week.
Do you recommend I bring it home and put thicker grommets under there? I doubt they will fix it so it doesn't happen again. Idiots, remember?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #88
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
They need thicker urethane washers, and proper torque - not too much, not to little -, accompanied by locktite.

The spoiler flexes, especially when closing the trunk. More clearance is required.

Do it.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #89
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
I know this may sound weird. So please indulge my questions to give some food for thought.

1. Are the chips/paint flaking happening where you place your hand to close the trunk lid?
2. Do you close your trunk with a lot of force which could increase the amount of pressure on the previously mentioned locations where your hands are when closing your trunk lid?

I have just over 7.000 miles on my car. Owned 15 months now. I had the loose nut issues with my spoiler.

However, I can't find any paint issues such as these.

The reason I asked these questions is because, I am very finicky about my car. I close my trunk very gently and with just enough force for it to latch shut. I barely touch the spoiler or trunk lid. With the type paint, sheet metal, and plastics used, they may well be a lot more sensitive to who the lid is closed.

Some food for thought.
1. No
2. I don't touch the spoiler when closing the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMattRS View Post
So two nights ago I checked my spoiler (2011 model, build date may, had it for 2 months) and I had the scratched paint.

This afternoon I look at it again, and I can barely see it (only because I know what to look for). When I checked it night at least 1/8 of the paint below the spoiler was trashed, now that 1/8 is missing.

I have a theory that the reason the spoilers rub is due to the expanding and contracting of the plastic/metal. Anyone else agree with this?

By the way, to all new Camaro owners, buy extra washers and fix your spoilers BEFORE you see an issue, since it WILL happen.

And GM, please fix!
True that metals and plastics do expand and contract. In this case I wouldn't put my money on it. There's simply too much damage happening too quickly.

Mine doesn't come out when it's raining and cold, stays in the garage every night. The winner here is vibration.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #90
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMattRS View Post
So two nights ago I checked my spoiler (2011 model, build date may, had it for 2 months) and I had the scratched paint.

This afternoon I look at it again, and I can barely see it (only because I know what to look for). When I checked it night at least 1/8 of the paint below the spoiler was trashed, now that 1/8 is missing.

By the way, to all new Camaro owners, buy extra washers and fix your spoilers BEFORE you see an issue, since it WILL happen.

And GM, please fix!
It's the washers plain and simple. Replace them and you wont have the problem. It's not that the metal/plastics expand... it's because they rub and hit.

I've had relatively high temperatures since I go the car, and the problem still happened. The only way your theory would be plausible is if the weather went hot to cold everyday for a month straight in both extremes.

The problem again, is the washers getting squished up into the holes and not giving the necessary clearance and buffer (as the shock moves the spoiler to should catch that and keep it from making paint contact). It's not doing that.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #91
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Recent 2011, I have it too.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #92
Blackorangestripes

Drives: Black RS with orange stripes
had the same problem and just got my rs back today. they put some sort of plate under my spoiler so it's raised now. They also repainted the whole trunk and put new stripes on. Paint job could have been better and the stripes aren't quite as good as factory. I'm having them redo the paint and stripes so we'll see how they do this time. Maybe the chipping isn't worth the hassle since it's barely noticeable?
Blackorangestripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #93
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Should I have the dealer put some sort of spacer under my spoiler before this happens to mine? Mine was built one year ago this month.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #94
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
WOW!!! I have only had my car for two weeks I will be taking off my spoiler tomorrow to take a look...

This news sucks and that it seems to still be happening...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #95
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
Just took mine to the dealer to fix it, took an hour since it only had small chips about the size of a sesame seed lol....they touched up the chips and applied the washers to prevent it from further damaging the trunk lid....thank god I ran into this issue on C5 b4 it was too late *phew*
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #96
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Mine was fixed 2 weeks ago. Everyone needs to be aware there is a technical service bullitin for this and take cars in and have this done immediately before the chips form up. I would suggest from day one really. They have new washers and some rubber strips which cusions the spoiler where it meets the trunk lid. This should be taken car of during the build. I wish one of the higher ups would address this and give a build date where they have corrected this defect. Hellooooooooooooo
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #97
PCOLASHAN

Drives: 2SS
Also, for those of you that replaced the washers, what size rubber replacement washers did you use? Thanks!
PCOLASHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #98
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCOLASHAN View Post
Also, for those of you that replaced the washers, what size rubber replacement washers did you use? Thanks!
GM provides a kit to do this correctly and your dealership should do the fix IMO

Tags
chip, chips, paint, spoiler, spoiler chips