Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
Mid-pipe/Cat back question

When I get my SS in May the first thing I plan on doing is changing the exhaust system. I'm pretty well set on the Flowmater American Thunder system. My question is. If I get High flow midpipes how much louder will it make the Flowmasters and will it help out with HP and throttle response at all? Opinions please! thx

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
MaRoFreK

Thanks for the info man. I was just windering if the mids were worth the money and it sounds like they are. Thanks

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRoFreK View Post
Thanks for the info man. I was just windering if the mids were worth the money and it sounds like they are. Thanks

I have the SOLO mid pipes as well and imo yes they are worth it.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I have 1-7/8 LTs, no cats and the FM a/t cat back and it's PERFECT. I think you should at least go hiflo mids if headers are out of question. It would leave you wanting more!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
I had the JBA Catted mid-pipes and it made 15rwhp over the factory mid-pipes and they were very inexpensive. They were stainless and had 200 cell count cats and made my catback sound much better.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I have 1-7/8 LTs, no cats and the FM a/t cat back and it's PERFECT. I think you should at least go hiflo mids if headers are out of question. It would leave you wanting more!
I'm trying to avoid voiding my warranty so I figured HF Mids would be better then nothing. I'm either gonna go with the Flowmaster AT or Stainless works Retro Chambered Cat-Back. I dont want it to be extremely loud cause of the wife factor :emoticon7:

Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
I'm trying to avoid voiding my warranty so I figured HF Mids would be better then nothing. I'm either gonna go with the Flowmaster AT or Stainless works Retro Chambered Cat-Back. I dont want it to be extremely loud cause of the wife factor :emoticon7:
happy wife = happy life

Luckily my wife likes loud! I have heard the SW system on a car WITH headers... its pretty quiet. But quiet to me may not be to your wife! Put it this way. Start with the cat back. Leave the OEM cats. If you arent happy, swap them next. It wont save you anything in doing everything at once. Maybe once you do the catback, you will be happy and save yoruself a few bengies.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
MaRoFreK

Quote:
happy wife = happy life

Luckily my wife likes loud! I have heard the SW system on a car WITH headers... its pretty quiet. But quiet to me may not be to your wife! Put it this way. Start with the cat back. Leave the OEM cats. If you arent happy, swap them next. It wont save you anything in doing everything at once. Maybe once you do the catback, you will be happy and save yoruself a few bengies.

I like really Loud lol I had a 06 Charger R/T with Shorty headers, deleted cats, and a SLP LM1 Cat-Back It was really loud. I'm just worried that the stainless works or Flowmasters are not gonna be loud enough lol So if the HF mid pipes will give me a little extra tone I'll be happy.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Quote:
Warranty? What's that

If a dealership is going to void your warranty over headers, they would probably void it over hi flow cats as well because they are not "factory". I'm not trying to persuade your decision as it seems like a lot of people are happy with the high flow mids but if you are afraid of voiding your warranty I would just leave it alone. However I personally would do the full exhaust and not look back. Technically they have to prove that you modding the car caused whatever problem you have.
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Go with hi flo 1st leave the mufflers alone till you see if the sounds what you want. Your not going to get that much hp by swapping them out so why waste the money is you can get the sound you want with the hi flos
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
I think its all about the tune you pretty much need with headers. Thats why I went with hi flow cats in lieu of LTs.

They don't have to prove anything once you tune your car.
Thats one of the biggest reasons + I'm on a budget with my car and can't fork up that much for LTs right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Go with hi flo 1st leave the mufflers alone till you see if the sounds what you want. Your not going to get that much hp by swapping them out so why waste the money is you can get the sound you want with the hi flos
I'll probably have my Cat-back before the Hi Flows. My plan is
1. Cat-Back
2. Intake
3. Shifter
4. Hi Flows
5. Wheels

Old 02-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
happy wife = happy life

Are you sure you heard the Retro Chambered kit and not the Turbo systems.????? Cause the Retro Systems is the loudest system Sw makes....X Pipe with no resonators or mufflers...just a small pipe with little chambers in it...haha...its loud!!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Just installed my JBA's this weekend and I'm satified with the noise level which if you keep the stock exhaust is very low. I wasn't looking for loud just some hp gain. One thing with the JBA's and I know it's been said before,the driver side sensor is so darn close to the transmission. You will never get it out if it goes bad without removing the cat. I hope that never happens. Also removing the upper connections was a pain in the a**. 2 people would definately make this install go smoother. I did it by myself. Make sure you have a 15mm deep socket for the removal on a swivel
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote