Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
Aprojectile

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
2012 v6 Suspension Upgrade Help

Hello everyone,

I'm wanting to upgrade my factory suspension of my car, it's starting to show it's age with how it rides and sounds as well (very squeaky). I'm considering the 1le package from GM but I'm having a hard time finding anyone that has the v6 kit in stock, no issues finding the v8 kit.

So since I can't seem to find anyone currently caring the v6 1le kit, what would be some other alternatives? I would like to stick around the same price range of 1.5k.

And as for my cars current setup, I currently have 20x9 ZL1 replica rims and ZL1 front and rear brakes as well, along with the oem strut tower brace.

Thanks!
Aprojectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
If it's on the original shocks, I would start there. I like my Bilstein's, but even going back with stop would likely be a big improvement if the car has a lot of miles.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Cars tend to feel old and squeaky and creaky mostly because of worn out bushings. Anywhere there is some type of rubber material...it breaks down, needs replacing.

Upgrading your shocks may help the ride quality but...there's a lot more to look at.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Since all the parts to upgrade the LT to the 1LE suspension are GM parts you may be able to get away with losing up the part numbers and order each component separately. may cost a little more but you may be able to get everything you need.

Similarly like bkevind stated, as the years go by the car's handling will diminish as the rubber components like bushing begin to weaken from use and weather. Replacing your suspension is a good starting point from there, if you are more serious, begin to replace bushings. You could also upgrade to polyurethane bushings for a little extra performance at the trade off go a harsher ride.
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:25 PM   #5
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
If I remember correctly, the only difference between the V8 and V6 1LE kits are the front springs. I’d just buy the V8 kit and use the V8 springs in the kit. The springs are not unique to the 1LE and were installed on all v8s. I don’t think you’ll have a problem with the front riding high, which is why a lot of aftermarket companies don’t make separate springs for the V6 and V8 apps. I had ss front springs on my V6 and ride height was fine.
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
Aprojectile

I figured my bushings was going out too and was going to replace them while I was at it. The reason I was considering upgrading my suspension to the 1le as well is since I've taken my car to a few track day events and would like to do more events as well. I also play on windy mountain roads a lot as well. So I am looking for better handling with the car.

I figured I could probably snag a v8 1le kit and it would work just fine. I've also considered just going with a Z28 kit as well but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You don’t really have a lot of bushing since most of them are a encapsulated monoball I’d do the V8 since you the V8 brakes all around an be done with it. I threw away a lot of my 2010 SS stuff in favor of 1LE parts an then shifted to DSE rear arms.
I have;
JPSS rear bar
PFADT subframe bushings
DSE toe an trailing arms still running the LCAs
1LE shocks
Z28 upper rear control arm bushings
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #8
Aprojectile

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
You don’t really have a lot of bushing since most of them are a encapsulated monoball I’d do the V8 since you the V8 brakes all around an be done with it. I threw away a lot of my 2010 SS stuff in favor of 1LE parts an then shifted to DSE rear arms.
I have;
JPSS rear bar
PFADT subframe bushings
DSE toe an trailing arms still running the LCAs
1LE shocks
Z28 upper rear control arm bushings
How does the car feel with your current setup compared to when you ran 1le parts?
Old 07-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
olblue75

Feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprojectile View Post
How does the car feel with your current setup compared to when you ran 1le parts?
I does feel more connected an precise plus adjusting is a lot better.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:58 AM   #10
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
I went all 1LE, and it's a lot tighter on turns. The front sway-bar is better, the
rear won't fit unless you have Brembo calipers, and the 2012+ LCAs. I got a
complete ~5 mille 1LE take off suspension for $200 locally, last year. The car had
over 100,000 on it at the time, so buying was just more of a refresh, but it all
happened to be 1LE stuff. All I have left is the rear sway bar and links, which I
can't use not having Brembo calipers.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #11
Aprojectile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
I went all 1LE, and it's a lot tighter on turns. The front sway-bar is better, the
rear won't fit unless you have Brembo calipers, and the 2012+ LCAs. I got a
complete ~5 mille 1LE take off suspension for $200 locally, last year. The car had
over 100,000 on it at the time, so buying was just more of a refresh, but it all
happened to be 1LE stuff. All I have left is the rear sway bar and links, which I
can't use not having Brembo calipers.
I have ZL1 brakes all the way around so I'll be covered there. I might just grab a v8 1le kit and maybe try and get the v6 front springs to swap out with. What is the LCA though?
Old 07-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #12
Aprojectile

I should mention the reason I have been considering 1LE stuff is simply for ease of replacement parts as time goes on. I have no problem going with a full aftermarket or mixed oem and aftermarket setup. Overall though, I'm looking for better setup than stock to help improve handling for track days, while still being street friendly since I daily drive this car.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:41 PM   #13
olblue75

Lower control arms
Old 07-21-2021, 09:51 PM   #14
Aprojectile

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Lower control arms
Ah okay, yeah my car is also a 2012 so I'm good there as well.