Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Drives: my girlfriend nuts
Question Fuel pump or bad tank of gas?

Didnt realize it was so LONG till I wrote it! SORRY!

OK, Here goes. This is on my '99 LS1 Z28 btw.

I was out running a few errands yesterday and stopped to get some gas because I was near 1/4 tank left and dont like to go below that mark. I put 10 dollars worth of gas(Premium-91)in and went on my way. I ended up drivin about 10-15 miles in stop and go city traffic before heading for the highway to head back home. As I'm waitin at a stop light to turn onto the onramp to get on the highway, I noticed my car idleing a little funny, slightly shaking(best way to describe it) a little bit. Looked at my gauges and all of them were normal. Light turn greens(at this intersection you make a left to get on the onramp) and I gradually go through the intersection making the left turn and punch it to get up to speed. But, as soon as I punched(pedal was damn near on the floor) it my car hesitated a few seconds before responding(It's an A4 so I'm used to some hesitation when I innitially punch it, but not like this), I was like what the ****? I let off the gas and gradually ease into it, gaining speed gradually until I get up to the speed limit(65mph). I set the cruise, continue for a few more miles until my exit is coming up. As I'm approaching my exit, on the right, there is a car I need to pass to get over. I goosed it to gain speed to attempt to pass them, but same hesitation. So I slowed down and got behind them and got over.

A few miles down the road I start hearing a humming/whining coming from the rear of my car but am not sure if its my car or the semi behind me. I assume its the semi behind me and dont pay attention to it. I take my exit and come up on a stop light. As I'm stopped, I open my door and poke my ear out the door and listen, and sure enough it's coming from the rear of my car. Right above my muffler.

I swing by my mechanics shop on the way home and tell him the symptoms and he comes out and listens to it and runs it for codes, but finds none. He says sounds like the fuel pump is going out. Tells me I could also get a new fuel filter to see if that helps with anything. So I go get a new fuel filter and have it put on, and take the long way home to mess with my car/listen to it. I was just cruisin along a few different times at a few different speeds, 35mph, 45mph, and 55mph, and at each one of those speeds I punched it to see the outcome. Everytime I punched it at all three speeds my car threw me back and accelerated like normal. So I'm kind of stumped. It seems like the new fuel filter took care of the 'hesitation' problem, but the humming/whining from the rear is still there. I was also curious, could this be the result of a bad tank of gas and thats it? I am changing gas stations that I go to from now on and half half a tank and want to drive and get rid of the gas to put new gas in, but dont want to take risk of getting stranded somewhere. It starts right up just fine everytime but with my luck....

Anyone else experienced these symptoms?

SORRY SO LONG!

Thanks for replies/suggestions/comments.
Boomer Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
No need to apologize for what, in your mind, was a long story. It wasn't. And besides, thats what we're here for!

Reading your post, it seems to me that it may have been a dirty/clogged fuel filter.

That being said, I'd get to a nice, clean, gas station, preferably a Sunoco where you can fill up on 93 octane, and see how the car performs for the rest of this week.

If the "whining" from the rear persists, I'd look into replacing the fuel pump for peace of mind.

I hope that helped?

(PS Don't hesitate to ask questions!)
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
No need to apologize for what, in your mind, was a long story. It wasn't. And besides, thats what we're here for!

Reading your post, it seems to me that it may have been a dirty/clogged fuel filter.

That being said, I'd get to a nice, clean, gas station, preferably a Sunoco where you can fill up on 93 octane, and see how the car performs for the rest of this week.

If the "whining" from the rear persists, I'd look into replacing the fuel pump for peace of mind.

I hope that helped?

(PS Don't hesitate to ask questions!)
Thank you for the response. I'm hoping/wanting to lean towards the dirty/clogged fuel filter was the main cause like you mentioned. Basically because of the major price difference between a fuel filter and a fuel pump. lol

I've always got 91 octance(highest octane available in OK, that I know of) gas from QT here, locally. I also didnt realize, until yesterday, that it contained 10% ethenal which is why I assume/hope it was just a bad tank of gas. I'm definiatly not putting anymore of that crap in my car.

The only reason I assume its the fuel pump and not the filter is because it was still whining/humming even after I had a new fuel filter put on.

Your reply did help, as always. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston70 View Post
I had a problem like this on my 97 silverado a couple years ago and it turned out to be the fuel pump. I changed the fuel filter first as it was cheap and easy, but it was ultimately the pump. It happened when it got really cold. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.
Thats what I was afraid of, it ultimately resulting in the fuel pump going out. They're not cheap.

Thank you for the response.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston70 View Post
Crap, I just looked on autozone.com and they list one for $400! I think mine was only about $100 from the dealer. That sucks.
Yea. I called my local Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, and O'Reilys yesterday and between the three stores, prices range from $350-$400.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
Yea. I called my local Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, and O'Reilys yesterday and between the three stores, prices range from $350-$400.
I wonder if you can locate one from a scrap yard?
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Wait till see the labor cost.

If it is still humming after changing the filter my guess would be the pump is on it's way out. That's my .02.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
I thought about that yesterday after I got the prices from the parts store. But I dont know if I want a used one that will crap out on me(I assume, being used) before a brand new one one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
Wait till see the labor cost.

If it is still humming after changing the filter my guess would be the pump is on it's way out. That's my .02.
I was thinking about the labor costs also, as you mentioned. I was also thinking about replacing it myself to save a little bit of money, but that requires removing quite a bit of shit. I know there is a trap door method I could do, but I really dont want to cut into my car even though it wont be visible. So, I donno yet.

It never fails though, when I'm in between jobs as I currently am, something always craps out on my car. But whenever I'm working none of this shit pops up out of the blue. Oh well, nothin I can do but suck it up and get it fixed. Probally be without a car for a week or so in the meantime.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

I've always got 91 octance(highest octane available in OK, that I know of) gas from QT here, locally. I also didnt realize, until yesterday, that it contained 10% ethenal which is why I assume/hope it was just a bad tank of gas. I'm definiatly not putting anymore of that crap in my car.
almost all regular gasoline these days has up to 10% ethanol. if you can find a gas station that doesnt have it, be prepared to spend a little more for "pure" gasoline

Quote:
why run the risks of swapping one from a junk yard that might go out on you the next day?

Quote:
I was thinking about the labor costs also, as you mentioned. I was also thinking about replacing it myself to save a little bit of money, but that requires removing quite a bit of shit. I know there is a trap door method I could do, but I really dont want to cut into my car even though it wont be visible. So, I donno yet.
I dont know where everyone is looking for fuel pumps, but you can get them for right around $100.00 hell, I paid 65 shipped for mine (sale price)
http://treperformance.com/i-133147-c...1985-2002.html
http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/S...d/0/rid/126429

ah.... one for 70.00
http://trefuelpumps.com/i-89185-chev...fuel-pump.html

the only ones that should cost more than that are the ones that come with a new full wiring harness

and for the trap door...
http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html
http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

http://www.randdspeed.com/installsheets/rds-fptd.pdf
and if you want it to look pretty...
http://www.randdspeed.com/index.php?...9n4npajou1rs70
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
almost all regular gasoline these days has up to 10% ethanol. if you can find a gas station that doesnt have it, be prepared to spend a little more for "pure" gasoline

I dont know where everyone is looking for fuel pumps, but you can get them for right around $100.00
There is a gas station right up the road from my house across the street from QT that has gas with no ethanol. Had I known that QT gas has 10% ethanol I would have stopped going there along time ago.

Check out this link to see where everyone is finding fuel pumps for $400. I know you can get just the 'fuel pump' for $100 but why not change the whole assembly if your going to get it done in the first place? Doesnt make sense to keep the 'old' assembly/strainer etc. and replace just the 'pump'.

http://www.autozone.com/R,5332668/ve...ductDetail.htm

*EDIT* My dad just got a quote from our mechanic to have it replaced. $725 for parts+labor.

Looks like I will be driving my g/f's old jeep for awhile. :(

This thread is pretty much dead as far as info I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with experiences, suggestions and comments.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
There is a gas station right up the road from my house across the street from QT that has gas with no ethanol. Had I known that QT gas has 10% ethanol I would have stopped going there along time ago.

Check out this link to see where everyone is finding fuel pumps for $400. I know you can get just the 'fuel pump' for $100 but why not change the whole assembly if your going to get it done in the first place? Doesnt make sense to keep the 'old' assembly/strainer etc. and replace just the 'pump'.

http://www.autozone.com/R,5332668/ve...ductDetail.htm

*EDIT* My dad just got a quote from our mechanic to have it replaced. $725 for parts+labor.

Looks like I will be driving my g/f's old jeep for awhile. :(

This thread is pretty much dead as far as info I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with experiences, suggestions and comments.

that link is for a complete fuel module assy and strainer. all you need is the pump.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
that link is for a complete fuel module assy and strainer. all you need is the pump.
I know. I mentioned this is my previous post.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
thats silly....thats like saying you should buy new wheels everytime you need tires.....seriously.....just buy the pump solo....otherwise the camaro should sit....because your are a silly person...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
thats silly....thats like saying you should buy new wheels everytime you need tires.....seriously.....just buy the pump solo....otherwise the camaro should sit....because your are a silly person...
Your silly.

They are two totally different parts, obviously.

On one hand, you have your tires/rims which are easily accessible and easy to remove.

On the other hand, you have the fuel pump, which is not nearly as accessible and easy to remove.

For example, lets say I just buy and replace the pump only, but I'm still having issues regarding the same problem. I would be ****ing pissed at myself that I didnt go ahead and get the whole assembly. I dont have the money to just throw around and if this were the case, waste, just to go back in and replace the whole assembly like I should have done in the first place.