Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
ppiamp

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Auto Hyper Blue
MTX subwoofer(GM) and Boston review: dealer installed add on.

Hi all,

I know there as been a few posts on this subject, but some may find this useful. I took delivery of my Camaro red jewel 2LT RS 4/10/11. Beautiful car, anyway on to the MTX upgrade. I negotiated a 720.00 price with the dealer and 75.00 intall fee. This is the item with two 10inch subwoofers. Dealer said he could also get a single 12 that is also OEM. I did not hear or see the 12inch model. I am posting some thoughts if people are on the fence. This is coming from being in the business on both the home and car for 30 years (since 14years old).

1. If the MTX is installed by the dealer you get the full 3year, 36K warrenty. If you install it yourself it is void. 75 dollars is a no brianer for the warrenty.
2. I have the Boston Acoustic system and added the MTX. It rounds out the BA system quite nicely. The BA system has limitations. But with the proper EQ setting you can get to 75% to 80% of an after market front stage.
3. Using the IASCA no. 2 Test CD the BA creates and passes the image test on track 11. It has a slight rainbow arc but the image was stable and his voice moved smoothly from left to right.
4. Two weekness of the BA system is utimate SPL and the tweeter is lacking resolution. However, the front stage does much right and from what I can tell has a 85HZ Hpass filter on it.
5. Without the MTX subwoofer the rears are asked to be the sub and rear fill. Sorry, this is not happen guys. Your much better off tuning it for rear fill and keeping the bass below 0. When you go above that it just clips.
6. Adding the MTX in line uses a 85hz rear HP for the rears and sends below that to the subs.
7. The MTX is all you need if your going to use the BA system. It still makes the mirrors move and it get right to point of overloading the trunk with bass.
8. If you are going to but more bass than the MTX has, just go ahead and rip the whole BA system out and go aftermarket with everything. Ground pounders look elsewhere. You know who your are This is just to make the BA have balenced sound.
9. This should of been standard in the BA system. Sorry GM and BA, but come on guys the stock system has no. sound from 80hz down.
10. If your into sound and keeping the BA system, the MTX is a necessity for accurate sound. The only down side it is at least 35 to 40% to expensive for what it is. Make sure you bargin with your dealer for the 300 dollars off from the 1050.00 list price! It does come a plug and play wiring harness that takes 5 mins to install. And has the full GM warrenty.
11. You can have your Camaro back to stock in less than 5 mins with only the two small holes left, as they need to drill them by the rear speakers. You would only be able to see them by climing into the trunk.No cutting, tearing up the vechical ect.!
12. The item is composite plastic and only 35lbs for you racers.
13. Finally, a great (but expensive) upgrade for your BA system. It is NOT for bass freaks, or if your building a IASCA car, rip it all out

I hope this helps,
Jeff
ppiamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
will be getting this for sure. that quote beat my dealers quote. your dealer send me one at that price lol
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
ppiamp

nomadicdogg:

Go for it: I just liked the idea of keeping it dealer stock, at least until the warrenty is gone...

Last edited by ppiamp; 04-15-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
750.00 - 1050.00 for a mediocre upgrade that covers your pass-through and looks like an afterthought... no thanks.

and no, this is definitely NOT me trying or meaning to disrespect the info the OP gave, thats good and valuable info... I just dont understand why folks would do that when there are plug and play options that cost the same for a full system upgrade (750.00) or less for a much better subwoofer upgrade (550.00)... and they dont even require you to drill 2 holes like the factory upgrade.

Its all about options...

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
ppiamp

I hear you Top Down, but this upgrade is only for people that want to stay OEM and keep their warranty.

There are better options for sure for the money. But per your contract with the GM warranty you officially will lose it if you modify the system in any way (please read it). While some dealers will look the other way, others will not.

Ten years ago I had a ford cougar. I had modified the stereo and it developed a electrical problem (not related). Ford was was not going pay for the 3500.00 fix. I ended up going to 4 dealers and the last one had mercy on me and fixed it via warranty. Close call.

The point is: The GM dealers don't have to honor your warranty if you modify your cars electrical system, regardless of what people say in the forums...Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
nomadicdogg

you show me a setup that doesent look like an afterthought with shady looking carpet and kindergarten cut outs and Ill be interested.
and really worried about the pass through? what are you putting in your trunk? its a camaro, not a mini van
feel free to show me those all impressive options below.....
btw, ive seen ********. prob the nicest out there, but still looks like it was rigged vs factory
Old 04-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicdogg View Post
you show me a setup that doesent look like an afterthought with shady looking carpet and kindergarten cut outs and Ill be interested.
and really worried about the pass through? what are you putting in your trunk? its a camaro, not a mini van
feel free to show me those all impressive options below.....
btw, ive seen ********. prob the nicest out there, but still looks like it was rigged vs factory
I couldn't have said it better. I haven't seen one thing that looks more stock than the GM subwoofer. I have other vehicles if I want to get groceries, supplies, tools, etc.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
nomadicdogg

Thanks Gene
your allright ya know
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiamp View Post
The point is: The GM dealers don't have to honor your warranty if you modify your cars electrical system, regardless of what people say in the forums...Just my 2 cents.
actually, they have to prove that the changes you made to the system caused the problem for them not to honor the warranty.

Additionally, the plug and play harnesses available from places like ******** make going back to OEM an undetectable breeze, and don't even leave the dealer installed extra-holes.

but, I hear what you mean... its a valid concern.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
nomadicdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
actually, they have to prove that the changes you made to the system caused the problem for them not to honor the warranty.

Additionally, the plug and play harnesses available from places like ******** make going back to OEM an undetectable breeze, and don't even leave the dealer installed extra-holes.

but, I hear what you mean... its a valid concern.
sure we all know the moss or whatever law, but guess who has more money and better attorneys.
most of the time your dealer "choose wisely" will take care of you.

for me, its for the warranty I get on the parts, its for the fit and finish, and its for my tastes
nothing against ********, but some of the stuff I have seen is just fugly.
think about it, I could throw a 2 giant 12's and a 1200 watt amp in boxes from wal mart for a couple hundred bucks and be done. But I dont drive a honda accord and Im not trying to impress the 18 year old kid 500 feet away in the walmart parking lot.
I want the custom made to fit gm box that makes the sound in the car top notch. dont need to mickey mouse it.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicdogg View Post
sure we all know the moss or whatever law, but guess who has more money and better attorneys.
most of the time your dealer "choose wisely" will take care of you.

for me, its for the warranty I get on the parts, its for the fit and finish, and its for my tastes
nothing against ********, but some of the stuff I have seen is just fugly.
think about it, I could throw a 2 giant 12's and a 1200 watt amp in boxes from wal mart for a couple hundred bucks and be done. But I dont drive a honda accord and Im not trying to impress the 18 year old kid 500 feet away in the walmart parking lot.
I want the custom made to fit gm box that makes the sound in the car top notch. dont need to mickey mouse it.

couldnt agree more...

GM MTX upgrade enclosure

******** all-in-one:
[IMG]http://********.com/images/sg2.jpg[/IMG]

The GM MTX upgrade, looks exactly like a 200.00 walmart boombox, covers the OEM passthrough which makes your car less useful than it was to begin with... the plug and play ******** enclosure actually looks like it was designed for the car... and it allows you to keep your passthrough, keep your OEM amp but replace it with a much cleaner/better amp... so I totally agree, I dont need an OEM upgrade that costs me 750.00 and looks like a Walmart special. I want a custom fit enclosure that makes my entire system sound significantly better than OEM.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
ppiamp

nomadicdogg:

If you buy the MTX with that mindset you will be more than happy!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
nomadicdogg

you got me all wrong guys. I think the ******** set up looks out of place. the carpet doesent match, the wires are sticking out and its not factory
I like the factory setup to avoid the cheap ass wal mart knock off
sorry
im mtx all the way
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
nomadicdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
couldnt agree more...

GM MTX upgrade enclosure

******** all-in-one:
[IMG]http://********.com/images/sg2.jpg[/IMG]

The GM MTX upgrade, looks exactly like a 200.00 walmart boombox, covers the OEM passthrough which makes your car less useful than it was to begin with... the plug and play ******** enclosure actually looks like it was designed for the car... and it allows you to keep your passthrough, keep your OEM amp but replace it with a much cleaner/better amp... so I totally agree, I dont need an OEM upgrade that costs me 750.00 and looks like a Walmart special. I want a custom fit enclosure that makes my entire system sound significantly better than OEM.
why dont you show a picture of that box installed with the stainless covers on it vs just the box alone.
it fits well, like it should, you dont lose trunk space, and it doesent look like some 15 year old kid and his daddys honda