Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
Still no thoughts from anyone on the barbs I hooked the cords too.....

I am not sure about any barbs, I felt around and couldn't find anything but the posts you hook the tonneau cords on. I put it on the last two days and still not sure what you are describing.

Sounds like some one at the dealership flipped the barbs around because they didn't know about the studs.

Angrybird, you didn't see the set up before the studs get put in. The barbs face the back seat. They look like a flush plug from the factory when looking forward with the top down. It's done thatcway since not all convertibles get the tonneau cover.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
Chad 2012 RS

Drives: 2012 Convertible 2LT/RS
hworth,

It could be... Not sure. And I know that's where they're not suppose to go but I felt around feeling for some place they 'should' go once we got home from the dealer - After getting a tutorial before we left on how to install the cover which did Not cover the cord straps - and felt the 'barbs' but the barbs did not match the directions in the owners manual. But the 'barbs' line up & do the trick. So what would be the issue with using them?

Chad 2012 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
Chad 2012 RS

heymatt,

So are you saying I may actually be on to something using those barbs? (No liability to you of course.)
Why would they be faced forward originally though? What purpose did they serve before being flipped... If they were?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
They are faced forward simply to plug a hole. They are removed when the studs are installed.
They will not work long term to hold the tonneau secure. The plastic will fatigue either through tension or UV damage. The cover will come lose and either damage the car or the cover.
REMOVE THEM and install the studs.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
Chad 2012 RS

Yes, they do feel like they have enough of an edge to chafe through the tonneau cord and I will install the posts but thanks for the insight on what the barbs are for! That was the mystery for me!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
Chad 2012 RS

... Waits, I think you're saying the barbs are in the same spot the tonneau cover is Supposed to connect to, only reversed. That's not the barbs I'm referring too. The barbs are on the rag top framing. I'll just let this lye until the wife gets back from Birmingham next Saturday and try to take a pic.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #35
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad 2012 RS View Post
... Waits, I think you're saying the barbs are in the same spot the tonneau cover is Supposed to connect to, only reversed. That's not the barbs I'm referring too. The barbs are on the rag top framing. I'll just let this lye until the wife gets back from Birmingham next Saturday and try to take a pic.
Hello Chad, Those barb s like hooks are just what I use. When you go to close your top and you pull down on that handle in the middle, those hooks or barbs are what I'm stretching my bungee cord to. WHY because the dealer put mind on backward and I turned them around and really could not get a tight hold with the bungee cords. Anyway those barbs are not going anywhere and my tonneau cover I know is secure well. That's my 2 cent. I've had my car up to 119 with the top down and the tonneau cover stayed in place.
Michael in Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #36
Indykid

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Chad, these are the Chevy instructions for installing the parts you found in the glove box. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...2&d=1299878914 The hardest part is removing the barbed plugs in the hole where the posts mount. The dealer failed to install mine also. I found it took less time to install them myself than to drive to the dealership.

Indy
Indykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #37
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indykid View Post
Chad, these are the Chevy instructions for installing the parts you found in the glove box. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...2&d=1299878914 The hardest part is removing the barbed plugs in the hole where the posts mount. The dealer failed to install mine also. I found it took less time to install them myself than to drive to the dealership.

Indy
Yep, that's pretty much it. Pop of the end covers, remove the panel plugs and stall the posts. Put the end covers back on and you're done
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #38
Chad 2012 RS

Rangmor,

Thank You!!!!
Yes, that IS where I connected the stretch cords. My wife made it to Alabama with the top down cover on strapped to those barbs & no issues.

On the way home from the dealer (175 miles all highway) she ended up putting the windows up to minimize the amount the cover was lifting, that's what made us investigate that something wasn't attached. I felt around with my hands, 'spotted' the barb, I told my wife where to feel on her side and she found the same barb. I thought all was right with the world until I realized how we had it hooked didn't jive with the manual instructions.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #39
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

This is my solution to the cover tiedown problem. My tonneau cover didn't come with the hardware/posts so I used two cargo net hooks from the trunk, two 10mm allenhead screws and lock nuts. It works great!!! I took off the trim cover in the last two pics so you could see it better.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #40
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Smart! Those will hold the bungee cord better with the hooks, rather than the posts with a lip.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #41
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
This is my solution to the cover tiedown problem. My tonneau cover didn't come with the hardware/posts so I used two cargo net hooks from the trunk, two 10mm allenhead screws and lock nuts. It works great!!! I took off the trim cover in the last two pics so you could see it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Smart! Those will hold the bungee cord better with the hooks, rather than the posts with a lip.
Looks like a GREAT idea! You might've stumbled onto something that might be the best solution yet.

I had my 'vert out on the beltway this past weekend and had her up to...20+ mph over the limit and my tonneau with the clips held rock solid. It inspired my confidence but I'm ALWAYS keeping an eye on it when I've got it on.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #42
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Looks like a GREAT idea! You might've stumbled onto something that might be the best solution yet.

I had my 'vert out on the beltway this past weekend and had her up to...20+ mph over the limit and my tonneau with the clips held rock solid. It inspired my confidence but I'm ALWAYS keeping an eye on it when I've got it on.
I don't watch mine anymore, it doesn't even wiggle at highway speeds.