Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #1541
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
MRC On our Z This is a Z/28 When we run into a track wall, we smile because we did t without MRC, traction control, stability control or automatic transmission

Base SS with 1LE option checked.
Heads, cam and tune
CTS-V front calipers and rotors
Forgeline 19x11s with Brdigestone RE-11 305/30/19 all round
Hoop with removable cross bar for twin five point harnesses

Add Supercars, Pedders Z bar upgrades, OEM ZL1 toe links (they may already be in the car) a couple of key bushes and we are tearing up the track!!!!!

What we don't know, but I suspect is part of the 1LE package is if the rear sub-frame is the Z sub-frame with enhanced by GM sub-frame bushes and the special ZL1 toe links.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #1542
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Hello, old friends!

So we have a "1LE" to play with, soon. "Enhanced FE4"...GREAT! Lower cost...and very mod-able with PEDDERS pieces at the ready.

But we're missin' the extra steam to fully annihilate the BOSS LS...and seriously chase BIG Brother...

GM-massaged LS3? The widely-wished-for LS7? Camaro-introducing LT1?

Pray tell, what is ZEE answer?!

Which RED number will it be?!

MRC as an Option, or Standard?

And, most importantly, WHEN?
OOO!!! LT1 Gen V?!!! I LOVE the idea of that for Z28!!! THAT - would make for an especially special Z28, and CAMARO, for that matter. I would go out on a limb and suggest that would be MORE special than our current "Z"-car

If GM were to do something like this - I could seriously challenge my unparallel desire for the other "Z"-car

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #1543
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Hello, old friends!
...hellooooo Lowdown,...the thread is alive! Alive I tell you.!!! Hahahaha...Muahahahaaa.....<>. Glad to see this thread back up .....now, what about that Z/28.....? Not givin' up....not gonna do it...not doin' it.....
Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #1544
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
...and don't need to...

As a nod to the longstanding thoughts contained in this thread, and the fact it has lain dormant for awhile, may I offer this appropriate musical interlude? Tap your toes, now, to the BOSS version...

...and NOW for the Z28 version...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #1545
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

That's what I see as the differences...BOSS vs. Z28...how 'bout YOU?

Any questions?!

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #1546
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I got three things for ya'...LS7!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #1547
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
That's what I see as the differences...BOSS vs. Z28...how 'bout YOU?

Any questions?!
I have one...if not now, when?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #1548
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

OldScool, I may have touched on that, over here...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...161417&page=13
Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #1549
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Hello, old friends!

So we have a "1LE" to play with, soon. "Enhanced FE4"...GREAT! Lower cost...and very mod-able with PEDDERS pieces at the ready.

But we're missin' the extra steam to fully annihilate the BOSS LS...and seriously chase BIG Brother...

GM-massaged LS3? The widely-wished-for LS7? Camaro-introducing LT1?

Pray tell, what is ZEE answer?!

Which RED number will it be?!

MRC as an Option, or Standard?

And, most importantly, WHEN?
With regard to the gen V LT1 ... that engine will be going into SS's. It might go into a Z28 too, but its not going to be something which can set the Z28 apart from the SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #1550
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
With regard to the gen V LT1 ... that engine will be going into SS's. It might go into a Z28 too, but its not going to be something which can set the Z28 apart from the SS.
Do you think we'll see that motor in a gen 5 Camaro?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #1551
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
It will be the "enhanced FE4"...or MRC...along with Dual-Mode 'n such that would specifically differentiate the ZEE from its brother, the SS...

Will the Gen-5 SS see the LT1? Maybe not...maybe only the ZEE would...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #1552
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
DG, what info have you found on the new Gen 5 DI being refered to as an LT1. I've only found some info saying the new 8 cyl DI motors would be small bore roughly 3" with a long stroke capable of over 400 HP. I've been looking for more specifics. Rumored 'Vette gets new DI in 2014 as I recall? Can you shed additional light on the info...thanks...
Old 04-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #1553
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Long stroke = low revs = not a track star = not for Z28
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #1554
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
DG, what info have you found on the new Gen 5 DI being refered to as an LT1. I've only found some info saying the new 8 cyl DI motors would be small bore roughly 3" with a long stroke capable of over 400 HP. I've been looking for more specifics. Rumored 'Vette gets new DI in 2014 as I recall? Can you shed additional light on the info...thanks...
I haven't heard anything as specific as that. But I believe that they're going to be using the 5.3 and 6.2 litre engines that make up the bulk of the lineup today. And they're going to be reving a little higher than they currently do. And they'll be keeping a 2 valve pushrod configuration. And of course, keeping the 4.4" bore spacing of every Chevy small block before it.

A 3" bore pretty much prevents the rest of those things from happening. The stroke length required to get it up to even a modest 4L displacement would be about 4.4" -longer than just about any automotive engine produced since before the second world war (and longer than the small block architecture can even support). To get to the smallest proposed displacement for the gen V's, it would have to have a gargantuan stroke of 5.7". The long stroke means that it wouldn't be able to reach high rpm's without very strong internals. The small bore would require small valves, restricting flow. Plus, it would add a whole bunch of weight since the block would need to be cast with a taller deck, and there'd be a whole bunch of 'extra' material left in the block between cylinders. Overall, I'd dismiss such a claim.

I could see some variant with a 3" stroke though. A V8 with a 4" bore x 3" stroke yields about a 4.9L displacement, which is a very workable engine size.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro