Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Clear Coating your 5th gen

there is a company here in fort collins that offers 3m clear coating for your vehicle. i have seen several Zo6's that this company has coated with this stuff from nose to tail. is any one else thinking of doing this in hope that the paint will not be damaged from rocks/road debris. I know that the zo6's that this guy has done is very expensive however this seems like a good choice with the poor quality roads in colorado. i know that i do not want any rock chips in my paint. i think that this option is worth the money charged. the website is http://www.qualitytint.com/
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
From what I understand, car co's are already doing less coats of paint and more clear coats to try to protect it from rock chips and all. It really isn't a bad idea if you think about it. The more clear coats you have, the more difficult it is to damage...scratches and all. For the right price, I'd do it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
There isn't a coating you can buy that will prevent paint damage from rocks and road debris. While clear coat will help protect the paint from very minor chips etc, your car will already have plenty of clear coat protection when you take delivery

I used to detail professionally, all of those 'paint protection packages' are nothing more than a good polish/wax job you can do in your garage for much less.

My product of choice is Zaino - I have used it on my GMC for quite a few years now and it looks great.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

This is something I was discussing w/ another buddy of mine after he broke his mirror off the side of his Ford F250 in passing another truck. The mirror broke off bouncing between the two trucks and it caused a few minor scrapes and scratches. But, we were discussing the paint process now and from years ago. He restores old trucks and sells them for a profit. If he really likes the truck he restores, he'll hold onto it for a while and then sell it. But, car co's used to paint multiple layers of paint. Then, they started going clear coating. Then, they stopped w/ the multiple layers of paint adding multiple layers of clear. It isn't meant to do much, but is meant to give as much protection as possible....very minor rock chips will hit, but not cause paint damage.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
this product is different from the clear coat that is painted on your car before you buy it. This product is a clear plastic film that is applied to you vehicle much like tint is applied to your windows.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
wouldn't that affect the "shinyness" of the vehicle...and make it a pain to wash?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I've heard of this stuff. It's called 3M Clearbra. There's a guy in VA that had it done to the front of his Z06. You can't tell the difference.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Huh. I'd be curious to look into it more. If you can't tell the difference and it won't scratch or fade over time (and you could remove it if you wanted), I think it would be a great idea.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:54 AM   #9
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Junk... only works in states where there is no sun, rain, and/or snow... BIG TIME RUST STARTER...

Prove to me otherwise and I might buy into it…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyNut View Post
this product is different from the clear coat that is painted on your car before you buy it. This product is a clear plastic film that is applied to you vehicle much like tint is applied to your windows.
I may be wrong, but I think the paint needs to 'breathe'

I've seen this used on front ends during trips, on the rocker panels etc.
Over time it fades/changes color. As a temporary protectant in high impact areas, they work great. Over the whole car? I'll take my chances
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote