Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #43
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Stock 4.6s I see at the track tend to be mid to low 14s.. problem is usually traction... So a full bolt-on V6 should make it a good race!
My last run was 13.998. I am going to practice staging with the car around 2,000 RPM. I think I can get that time even better at that point. Traction is a problem. I am going to keep the traction control on until I am through second gear and then turn it off. This might help me stick through first and second and then glide through the rest of the gears.

We'll see how a stock GT does with some strategy. My only strategy thus far was to hit the gas an go.

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #44
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
My last run was 13.998. I am going to practice staging with the car around 2,000 RPM. I think I can get that time even better at that point. Traction is a problem. I am going to keep the traction control on until I am through second gear and then turn it off. This might help me stick through first and second and then glide through the rest of the gears.

We'll see how a stock GT does with some strategy. My only strategy thus far was to hit the gas an go.
The traction control in the 2006s is not very sophisticated. Basically just majorly kills the power. Ford made huge improvements in the traction control department in 2007 or 2008...

Turning off traction control after you've already launched and have stopped spinning is NOT going to improve anything... Traction control has no effect unless it detects the tires are spinning...

If you want to see you times improve:

1) Buy a set of Drag Radials or better yet, a set of slicks. Nice thing about Drag Radials of course is depending on how much you drive, you can just leave them on the car full time. I did on mine...

2) GET A TUNE! Tunes can really wake these 4.6s up, especially automatics...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #45
Dr. Love

Quote:
The traction control in the 2006s is not very sophisticated. Basically just majorly kills the power. Ford made huge improvements in the traction control department in 2007 or 2008...

Turning off traction control after you've already launched and have stopped spinning is NOT going to improve anything... Traction control has no effect unless it detects the tires are spinning...

If you want to see you times improve:

1) Buy a set of Drag Radials or better yet, a set of slicks. Nice thing about Drag Radials of course is depending on how much you drive, you can just leave them on the car full time. I did on mine...

2) GET A TUNE! Tunes can really wake these 4.6s up, especially automatics...
My husband wants to put a 3.73 gear and a tune on it. He also said that some DOT approved racing slicks would help a lot. I don't drive it tons, but I think we would just change out the tires when we take it to the track.

What do you think could be shaved off on the time if we do that?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #46
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
My husband wants to put a 3.73 gear and a tune on it. He also said that some DOT approved racing slicks would help a lot. I don't drive it tons, but I think we would just change out the tires when we take it to the track.

Can you post some time slips?

Car is an auto correct?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #47
Dr. Love

Quote:
Can you post some time slips?

Car is an auto correct?
Let me take some pics and I will post them.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #48
Dr. Love

Here are my time slips from Saturday. I am car 36.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #49
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:

Ok... looking at your time slips, I would say a good set of tires is going to make a pretty big difference. I would say you would improve your ET by probably at least .3 and maybe a bit more... Lot of guys lover there Mickey Thompson ET Streets... get a set of nice light weight wheels to mount them on... ALSO, if you are going to be changing tires you can look at getting a set of skinnies for up front... and if you don't run skinnies up front then you should at least over inflate your stock tires... I would run the front up to like 40 to 45 PSI to make them roll easier...
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #50
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I have to agree. Your first change should be to get better traction so you can get that 60' down. You actually have pretty good gearing for the power you are making. You will hit the rev limiter at about 103-104 MPH in third, and you are trapping right around 100 now. So you have a nice margin to keep you from a shift right as you hit the finish line. Changing the gears without adding some power may hurt your ET instead of improving it.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #51
Dr. Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I have to agree. Your first change should be to get better traction so you can get that 60' down. You actually have pretty good gearing for the power you are making. You will hit the rev limiter at about 103-104 MPH in third, and you are trapping right around 100 now. So you have a nice margin to keep you from a shift right as you hit the finish line. Changing the gears without adding some power may hurt your ET instead of improving it.
That's exactly what is happening. When I hit about 95, the car shifts again and I lose the momentum.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #52
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
That's exactly what is happening. When I hit about 95, the car shifts again and I lose the momentum.
Like Scrming was saying, get the tranny tune. It will allow you to raise the shift points and shift firmness. If you get the ECM tune you can have them raise your rev limiter to about 6500-6600 (I think that's still safe on the pre-coyote). That should help quite a bit.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #53
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Gretchen is correct. A friend of mine has a 2009 Mustang GT with an auto and a good tune. It's amazing how good that car drives after that tune. It was a night and day difference from when it was stock.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #54
bpa88

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Had an experience with an 05-09 mustang GT the other night. Not sure of the exact year but i was pleasantly surprised. I was driving home the other night and the aforementioned mustang pulled in front of me onto our PRIVATE road, which happens to be two lanes..mustang sounded great btw..well i just happened to pull up beside him and i noticed he was flicking his headlights beside me so we slowed to about 40mph and i gave him a honk and he honked back...Mind you i have a 2010 camaro LS, only mods i have are CAI and Exhaust..he gave another honk and I did also and we took off...Up until the point where he backed off he was only about maybe 1/2 a car length ahead of me, probably even alittle less. I thought for sure he would have been 2-3 car lengths ahead of me. Only thing i could think of was maybe he wasn't that great of a driver, or the mustangs are not as quick as i remember them being?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #55
Dr. Love

I ran my Mustang again this weekend. I was pulling solid 9.0s in an 1/8th. Still stock...