Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #43
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Even the B15 version? At that rate your better of buying a built shortblock from Texas Speed.
Yes on the b15 version
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #44
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
You will breaking that tr6060 alot with that more power and hooking.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #45
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Using a 9:1 compression ratio motor under a Maggie is just nuts. Throwing power and efficiency away. You don't have two turbos worth of boost to play with. You are limited by how much air it's capable of moving efficiently. You'll need an 8 or 10 rib pulley setup to make as much as the guy with 10.7 cr makes with a stock 6 rib. Those big rib set ups are expensive and can eat front end accessories too.

You'll pass a few more fuel stops with the higher cr too. An LS3 powered Camaro gets 5 more mpg than its ZL1 sibling. Almost the same 376 cubic inch engine. Before you mention that the supercharger is the reason for the lower mpg, know that the charger is just along for the ride during fuel eco tests. It consumes less power than your a/c compressor when not in boost. The reason for the lower mpg is the lower compression ratio plain and simple.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #46
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
Yes on the b15 version
Old 06-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #47
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Using a 9:1 compression ratio motor under a Maggie is just nuts. Throwing power and efficiency away. You don't have two turbos worth of boost to play with. You are limited by how much air it's capable of moving efficiently. You'll need an 8 or 10 rib pulley setup to make as much as the guy with 10.7 cr makes with a stock 6 rib. Those big rib set ups are expensive and can eat front end accessories too.

You'll pass a few more fuel stops with the higher cr too. An LS3 powered Camaro gets 5 more mpg than its ZL1 sibling. Almost the same 376 cubic inch engine. Before you mention that the supercharger is the reason for the lower mpg, know that the charger is just along for the ride during fuel eco tests. It consumes less power than your a/c compressor when not in boost. The reason for the lower mpg is the lower compression ratio plain and simple.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #48
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Fuel economy is for a prius, I didn't buy a 416 to worry about the price on the pump. As long as the octane is over 100 I could care less

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Started a PM conversation with Chris at Livernois about their short blocks. Looking at their web site, really like what they offer, mini 390 strokers, 404, 408, 416, 419, 429 combos.

His early recommendations (again, only off one PM I sent him so this may change) is that he recommends keeping the cubes in the 416 range but also to bump the compression up to match that of the LS3 or possibly slightly higher at around 11:1.

That way, with the larger cubes, my street car with have great out of boost performance thanks to the larger displacement and also, the higher compression will help out the Maggie and not require I spin the thing to its max limits just to get 6 lbs of boost.

Will be having many more conversations with Chris to figure out exactly what will be best for my application but so far, very impressed with his customer service as well as information.

Not saying anything bad about the other shops like Mast or Texas speed but I have sent both of them e-mails about getting information on a custom short block and have never gotten a reply.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #50
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Started a PM conversation with Chris at Livernois about their short blocks. Looking at their web site, really like what they offer, mini 390 strokers, 404, 408, 416, 419, 429 combos.

His early recommendations (again, only off one PM I sent him so this may change) is that he recommends keeping the cubes in the 416 range but also to bump the compression up to match that of the LS3 or possibly slightly higher at around 11:1.

That way, with the larger cubes, my street car with have great out of boost performance thanks to the larger displacement and also, the higher compression will help out the Maggie and not require I spin the thing to its max limits just to get 6 lbs of boost.

Will be having many more conversations with Chris to figure out exactly what will be best for my application but so far, very impressed with his customer service as well as information.

Not saying anything bad about the other shops like Mast or Texas speed but I have sent both of them e-mails about getting information on a custom short block and have never gotten a reply.
Atababy You're on the right track. That 3.8" stroke LS3 based motor has caught my eye before. If not stock cube, that's the one I'd go with. Again, realize that cubes aren't the limiting factor with a TVS2300. At some point, cubic inch wise, you don't make any more power, you just make it at a lower rpm.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #51
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Atababy You're on the right track. That 3.8" stroke LS3 based motor has caught my eye before. If not stock cube, that's the one I'd go with. Again, realize that cubes aren't the limiting factor with a TVS2300. At some point, cubic inch wise, you don't make any more power, you just make it at a lower rpm.
Sounds about perfect for a stout street car where she will be running at lower RPMs for most of its life on the street!!!

Now to get the fuel system upgraded and ready for that next step!! Just another mess to try to figure out. Thinking LPE dual pumps to feed the new engine.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #52
2SS45th

Depending on when you do the fuel system, let me know, I might be swapping for a triple pump instead.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #53
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Depending on when you do the fuel system, let me know, I might be swapping for a triple pump instead.
Running out of fuel at 606whp
Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #54
2SS45th

Quote:
Nope

Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #55
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Quote:
Nope
You two should grudge race at camaro fest!!

I haven't seen two 12 second cars go at it in a while!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #56
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Depending on when you do the fuel system, let me know, I might be swapping for the stock pump
Edited for your current power level!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote