Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #29
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
So just because Ford's top dog is the GT500 it automatically has to compete with the top dog of Chevy? Or it has to compete with the 'top dog' of all American auto makers? Cause it's certainly not direct competition for all auto makers 'top dogs'. Ford has no direct competitor to the Corvette, they used to have something close, it was called a GT, a 2 seater sports car, that they couldn't even sell for more than a few years.

The pony wars, at least to me, have always been about the different models of the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. But maybe I'm just too hung up on the fact that the vette is and always has been a 2 seater for all models. It's not a stripped down version of a 2+2 like the Boss. It's been designed for 2 passengers from the start. I feel that the Corvette and other 2 seaters appeal to different people than the ZL1 and GT500. Personally, I want 1 car that I can take my wife and son to auto shows in, which I can't accomplish with a vette and is the reason that I'm going with a ZL1.
your applying logic. Poeple will always find a way to twist the agument. chevy guys are going to say well chevy makes a faster car than ford.

To me the GT500 competes with the vette becasue it costs as much. now it does not compete with the ZR1 but grand sport or striped down Z06 sure does. if you can build a 65k+ gt500 then you have to factor what other cars out there cost that in my mind.

In my mind the ZL-1 competes as well. if you are just looking for a fun drive you would be crazy not to drive a grand sport too IMO if you can live with the lack of practicality. grand sports are a blast to drive.

then again all of my car decisions are usually $$$ based. I did not buy my Z06 because I am corvette guy. it was the fastest car I could get at the time for my 50k budget. I would love to be the ferrari 458 guy or the MP4-12c guy but I have one eyebrow and am not very smart so I don't have that kind of $$$.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #30
ZL1 STEVE
Addicted to Stainless!

Drives: 2012 ZL1 "Knight Fire"
I don't want a 20-lucky-13. I have no fear in what 2013 brings to the table that my 2012 won't. I do, however, fear that robots are stealing my luggage!
#872 of 1885 2012 ZL1's -- Victory Red, Exposed CF, Manual-6, Black Wheels, Suede Interior.
ZL1 STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #31
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
dang robots again....last time it was the washing machine...
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #32
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Not exactly what you're referring to - but let me make a few comments....

Ford has one performance car -- the Mustang.

Chevrolet has two.

...meaning that there is substantially more 'investment' - not only in dollars, but manpower, supplier base, bricks and mortar, etc......

Engines are not 'plug and play' - remember that there are all sorts of algorithms that need to be developed and validated.....on top of that there is the ever-increasing CAFE standards to deal with.......
Thank you!!

Some seem to think it's easy for you guys (GM) to add ponies by simply doing a few "tweaks" to the car without a care in the world. But the fact is,you have more eyes watching your every move than Brittany Spears exiting a car sans underwear.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #33
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
. Ford has no direct competitor to the Corvette, they used to have something close, it was called a GT, a 2 seater sports car, that they couldn't even sell for more than a few years.
Ford stated before the first GT was ever built that it would only be a two year run of ~4500 units. Sales were strong for the entire run and the cars have appreciated around 15% to date.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Ford stated before the first GT was ever built that it would only be a two year run of ~4500 units. Sales were strong for the entire run and the cars have appreciated around 15% to date.
Thanks for the correction, I never saw anything stating they had only planned to build them for a few years.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #35
collins motorsport

Drives: 1967 SS 785hp pro touring, 2012 ZL1
Ever notice how the ford guys will only admit that a car is competition to the mustang when the mustang come out on top.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #36
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
IMHO....You will never have the fastest...quickest...best handling car, there will always be another one that will be better.
Sooooo....be happy with what you have and YOU make it better for YOU, or you'll be forever chasing the pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow...and never getting it.
True!!!

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins motorsport View Post
Ever notice how the ford guys will only admit that a car is competition to the mustang when the mustang come out on top.
And Not True...

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #38
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
your applying logic. Poeple will always find a way to twist the agument. chevy guys are going to say well chevy makes a faster car than ford.

To me the GT500 competes with the vette becasue it costs as much. now it does not compete with the ZR1 but grand sport or striped down Z06 sure does. if you can build a 65k+ gt500 then you have to factor what other cars out there cost that in my mind.

In my mind the ZL-1 competes as well. if you are just looking for a fun drive you would be crazy not to drive a grand sport too IMO if you can live with the lack of practicality. grand sports are a blast to drive.

then again all of my car decisions are usually $$$ based. I did not buy my Z06 because I am corvette guy. it was the fastest car I could get at the time for my 50k budget. I would love to be the ferrari 458 guy or the MP4-12c guy but I have one eyebrow and am not very smart so I don't have that kind of $$$.

Personally I believe all Camaros compete with all Mustangs and as such I was willing to concede top dog status to the ZL1 at least until the new Shelby proves what it can or cannot do. But based on your assessment, there is no competition for my Boss from GM until they produce a NA Z28?!?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #39
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
...and thats just plain 'ol horse sense....IE common sense..., good post....
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #40
collins motorsport

Drives: 1967 SS 785hp pro touring, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
And Not True...
Not all of you but a very large number. The day I bought my 01 Z28. I drove up to the local hangout spot and this guy was there with a little black fox body. Well this car had been bored and stroked and blah blah blah and I know this because its all he would talk about. About ten minutes after I showed up he started trying to get me to race him, keep in mind that I hadn't even made it home from buying it yet and even tho it had been modified I hadn't peronally got to tweak on it where he built his car. Finally after he bugged me for about half an hour I cracked and it just so happened at the time our company was building a road for a purposed industrial park, 1 1/2 mile long completely straight and no access to anyone that didn't have a key to the main gate ( me and the other foreman only) in other words a perfect temporary strip with no risk to any innocent drivers, I just wanted to clarify that because I don't want to be accused of street racing. He followed me there, we ran down stopped then ran back, both times I beat him by two car lengths. We get back to the hangout spot and he instantly goes on the defense saying his car only had a such and such gear ratio and my car had this or that advantage, and that it wasn't a fair race from the begining and so on. And he said all this after he practically begged for a race. So its nothing personal against you and im sure you have a similar example of a camaro owners Dbaggery but after several experiences like that I've come to hold a certain dislike for my local mustang crowd.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #41
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The only thing that would make me want to wait for a 2013, is a new color... like a Jetstream Blue...
Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #42
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
I doin't think HP.is what it's all about, Its the weight problem. And GM. knowes this. Thats why the mustang is quicker, The mustang has a solid rear end, the comaro has an independent. Lose the weight comaro is quicker, And better handeling on road course.