Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
I carry a gun in the backwoods. Usually it's a territory thing for animals and you have a surprising amount of time to prepare yourself as animals will flash displays at you as long as you don't surprise them. Most of the time you can make yourself big and back away. Sometimes they keep coming though, and if nothing else having a gun in your hand keeps you from turning and running (where you will find yourself on the menu for sure).

The only N. American wild animals that I know of that actually hunt people are mountain lions and alligators, and alligators is a stretch- they just get lucky sometimes. Out of all the animals in the areas I go to, the one that makes me the most cautious is Moose. Those bastards will just go straight at you with no warning. I never even thought twice about Coyotes though.
But thats sorta the thing, if they're trying to attack you odds are you won't see it coming. And if there is something wrong with an animal (of if its defending its young), its not likely to be scared away.

If its just a random encounter, then the 'big and scary' technique works sometimes. If you can convince an animal you are bigger than he is, it usually works. But if he knows hes bigger than you ... you're screwed. You're essentially challenging him to a fight, and you ain't got a hope. Best option in that scenario is back away slowly, maybe hunch down a little, and try to be as non threatening as possible. Its also a good idea to say things like 'nice bear' 'good grizzly bear' 'please don't kill me' etc. This means nothing to the bear (or what ever it may be) but it does calm you down so you're less likely to do something stupid and incite an attack.

Mountain lions (aka cougars, or pumas) have been known to actively hunt humans but this is typically an individual 'trying something new' thats roughly the same size as their normal prey. The general population still stays away from people. Aligators, they just eat anything they can once they're hungry. They're too stupid to know what you are besides a large meal. As for the moose, I'm with ya. Durring mating season a bull moose is probably the most dangerous animal in the world.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #30
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Bears and Mountain lions scare the hell out of me... I have had my fair share of run in's with them hunting in Az. Every time though they were the one that left.....after scaring the crap out of me of course lol
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #31
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
Always travel with a buddy in the wilderness. A fat, slower buddy.
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #32
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
I've never, ever heard of a coyote attacking, much less killing anyone before. I'm sure attacks have happened at some point...law of averages...but this seems downright weird.
Captain Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #33
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
Quote:
Out of all the animals in the areas I go to, the one that makes me the most cautious is Moose. Those bastards will just go straight at you with no warning.
Moose ? I grew up in Maine and would see them on the logging roads and back woods. That is one very large and very stupid animal. But yeah, best to keep a distance from a bull during rutting season. Otherwise they would just stand there and watch me walk or drive by. No threat at all.
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #34
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Odds are you won't have time to grab your gun if you are attacked. Going to be too busy protecting your face and neck.
Maybe maybe not. Depends on how well I keep my situational awareness up which I'm typically good at. I grew up roaming the woods and swamps of south MS. You learn to keep your "ear to the ground" to keep clear of of the wild hogs and the panthers that the MS Dept. Wildlife and Fisheries say don't exist in the state.

Whether they get the drop or not I like my odds better armed than unarmed. Call me crazy but I have this insane fear of being turned into animal poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Hell, I don't travel the FRONT woods unarmed. City, County, Countryside, Woods...... I'm packin'
Well yeah same here. I carry everywhere except to work and thats only because the Uncle Sam gets really bent outta shape when you try and bring a weapon on a military base.

Other than that, wherever I go, the S&W M&P9C goes...

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #35
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
I carry a gun in the backwoods. Usually it's a territory thing for animals and you have a surprising amount of time to prepare yourself as animals will flash displays at you as long as you don't surprise them. Most of the time you can make yourself big and back away. Sometimes they keep coming though, and if nothing else having a gun in your hand keeps you from turning and running (where you will find yourself on the menu for sure).

The only N. American wild animals that I know of that actually hunt people are mountain lions and alligators, and alligators is a stretch- they just get lucky sometimes. Out of all the animals in the areas I go to, the one that makes me the most cautious is Moose. Those bastards will just go straight at you with no warning. I never even thought twice about Coyotes though.
I agree with everything in this post.

I am a big time fly fisherman, and spend a lot of time out in the middle of no where at dusk/dawn by myself. I've had run in's with all kinds of animals. Bear... Coyotes... Even a Mountain Lion. The worst though? Bull Moose. You run, they'll chase you, you stand your ground, they see you as a challenge and charge you. No easy way out if its a big bull who is looking to be a problem.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #36
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Bull Moose. You run, they'll chase you, you stand your ground, they see you as a challenge and charge you. No easy way out if its a big bull who is looking to be a problem.
Exactly the kind of situation this was designed for...

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #37
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Holy crap I looked out my window yesterday morning and there was a coyote strolling through the field behind my house. I live in Southern California, less than 1 mile from the ocean. But there's a field and canyon behind my house. I've never heard coyotes (they have an unmistakable howl) here, but apparently they are around.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #38
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post
Exactly the kind of situation this was designed for...

I have one of these but it doesn't really work for concealed carry.

- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #39
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I've been away for awhile, that's why I haven't responded quicker than this. You have a beautiful female there!!! I love the photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
You mentioned the Coyote you saw was a female. Usually when the females see Males they lay down to Show who is Alfa Dog. They do this to people as well.

I own a 4.5 year old Timberwolf .
106lbs clubed feet , Ears facial hair , eyes and omfg the Teeth.

To people she is SCARED to death she will make her noise kind of a half bark and circle you. Not because she is going to hurt you but because she is scare and not sure.

I named her wolfie. She has a distinctive smell you can bath her 2 days later its back. Every animal around her knows what she is. Neighbors cats stay in there own yard.
Last year she was outside and 3 coyotes attacked her however she held her ground and killed the 3 of them. The neighbors saw the whole thing and told me. She had bite marks to the neck and back but thats it. Probably the sweetest animal I have ever owned you just got to have patience to own an animal like this.

Why these animals attacked this girl I dont know normally they are more scare of you than you are of them. However I have been told Coyotes get in packs and get fearless when they know they can gang up on you.

I hate this for the Family of the girl.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #40
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
And when I go in the woods
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #41
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
You mentioned the Coyote you saw was a female. Usually when the females see Males they lay down to Show who is Alfa Dog. They do this to people as well.

I own a 4.5 year old Timberwolf .
106lbs clubed feet , Ears facial hair , eyes and omfg the Teeth.

To people she is SCARED to death she will make her noise kind of a half bark and circle you. Not because she is going to hurt you but because she is scare and not sure.

I named her wolfie. She has a distinctive smell you can bath her 2 days later its back. Every animal around her knows what she is. Neighbors cats stay in there own yard.
Last year she was outside and 3 coyotes attacked her however she held her ground and killed the 3 of them. The neighbors saw the whole thing and told me. She had bite marks to the neck and back but thats it. Probably the sweetest animal I have ever owned you just got to have patience to own an animal like this.

Why these animals attacked this girl I dont know normally they are more scare of you than you are of them. However I have been told Coyotes get in packs and get fearless when they know they can gang up on you.

I hate this for the Family of the girl.
Yea I totally missed this one. That's a badass pet man.

How big is she? I've got two 3 year old shepard's and each are right at a lean mean 140-160lbs....
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote