Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Any U.S. Marshals or U.S. Border Patrol

Is there any on this site? or if you know of any?
I am currently a senior in High School, and I am planning on going to a University for a 4 yr. degree, but I am not sure what degree to go for..
I know Criminal Justice, Criminology and things of this nature.. but what would be my best bet, should I also go for my Masters or just for Bachelors Degree?

I would also like to know the Pay Rolls for these jobs if anyone knows..
I would love to feed my addiction for fast/classic cars

also, if you like your job, and what do you love most and hate most about it..

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeSS View Post
Is there any on this site? or if you know of any?
I am currently a senior in High School, and I am planning on going to a University for a 4 yr. degree, but I am not sure what degree to go for..
I know Criminal Justice, Criminology and things of this nature.. but what would be my best bet, should I also go for my Masters or just for Bachelors Degree?

I would also like to know the Pay Rolls for these jobs if anyone knows..
I would love to feed my addiction for fast/classic cars

also, if you like your job, and what do you love most and hate most about it..
Marshalls would be awesome.

Skip the border patrol stuff. Ever tried to tie your shoes without using your hands?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
TJ's border patrol. Haven't seen him in a while though...
Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Jorge I got a fellow sales person who is joining border patrol, and he here from McAllen. I'll try to get him in contact with you.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Wileytrigger21

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT / RS, Blk 1SS/RS
I'm not fed but have a couple of buddies who recently went into the Marshalls. Masters degree helps but not required. Degree in Crim Just with Psychology minor. Pay starts between 45 to 50,000 and jumps drastically after 2 years. Like PQ said..ditch border patrol unless u want to be stuck working a checkpoint for 8-10 hours a day. Good Luck!!!
Wileytrigger21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Being someone who studied policy, I'd advise you to stay away from Border Patrol. They are one of the toughest agencies to serve since they do not have the personnel to cover America's vast borders. They have the money and the technology, but one guy in a Hummer is not enough to stop an armed caravan of drug-smuggling cartel cronies. Until priorities change in this regard, I would not eagerly enlist in this service. While you are probably more necessary in this service, you simply won't be able to serve your country on the same level as a lot of other agencies.

You're clearly looking at serving your country with a federal service. I would encourage you to consider ROTC in college so that you have some military experience. This sort of training would aptly prepare you to participate in armed alphabet agencies, including NSA, CIA, FBI, SS, and the Marshals. From what I hear, once you get into the government, you can serve for a few years in one agency and transfer to whatever you really want to do so long as you're a decent agent.

Pay is dependent on your education and qualifications. Learning a foreign language helps, and so does a clean record. Don't do drugs, and stay out of trouble. You will probably be interviewed more than once, and it is possible that at least one interview will be polygraphed if any federal agency is talking to you. The military is more lax when it comes to interviews, but the potential for upward mobility goes down with the military unless you manage to get into an elite unit, like the SEALS or Delta Force. Pay also coincides with risk, as is true in the financial markets. If you're willing to take on a lot of risk, there may be a reward for that, but you also may have a short life expectancy by taking those risks.

There isn't really a classic cars agency, so rely on your income for that. The government is not known to be the highest bidder when it comes to pay. Usually, the ones willing to pay the most are contracted by the government, meaning that the government is overpaying them to do government by enough for them to overpay you. Since I tend to view these organizations' employees as mercenaries, I will of course encourage you to serve your country, not your paycheck.

I want to wish you luck. There are a lot of ways to serve your country, from simply participating in democracy to winning office to fighting for its survival.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
I've got two friends that went Marshalls. They both worked with me for SDSO in San Diego and both went to USD with me. One got a psych major, the other criminal justice. I went the business/finance route. I figured it would keep my options open if Iveered away from law enforcement.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS

thanks for the input, I like BP because i own a ranch on the border, I see them daily,and I like what they do.. yes I know the risk is high, but I seem to like it for some reason..
i would love to jump straight into U.S. Marshall, but I talked an agent and he said I had to be in police/customs/BP or something of that nature for 3 yrs before I could become a U.S. Marshall... Also i would join the ROTC but since i didnt have any experience in high school with it, Im not sure if they would let me join.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrboyd_1980 View Post
Jorge I got a fellow sales person who is joining border patrol, and he here from McAllen. I'll try to get him in contact with you.
I would appreciate that...

Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Sounds like you want to do some type of Migrant or drug-related bust. Check into the USCG. I know they work with the U.S. Marshalls and Border Patrol. Also it helps getting into these jobs later if you really like them.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
Sounds like you're confusing "Top secret" with "secret". There is a huge difference.

Last edited by Sinergy; 01-01-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: deleted as a request for the poster.
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinergy View Post
Sounds like you're confusing "Top secret" with "secret". There is a huge difference.
There are 5 layers of security: unclassified, classified, confidential, secret, and top secret. Getting top secret clearance is extraordinarily difficult to attain and is limited to those who absolutely need to know this information. As someone in the Navy, you would not be privy to this sort of information unless required to participate in a specific top secret operation. For instance, if the US were to conduct a Navy operation to destroy Iran's newly disclosed nuclear reactor, you would only be aware of this operation if you were participating in it, even if it were occurring from your very ship. Top secret clearance may include such information as the location of safe houses for Congress and the Cabinet, nuclear weapon security codes, and misinformation campaigns that intelligence agencies may use to neutralize threats to the nation. If you have top secret clearance, you would also know not to let a public forum know that you have top secret clearance because foreign intelligence agencies might develop a sudden interest in you.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
There are 5 layers of security: unclassified, classified, confidential, secret, and top secret. Getting top secret clearance is extraordinarily difficult to attain and is limited to those who absolutely need to know this information. As someone in the Navy, you would not be privy to this sort of information unless required to participate in a specific top secret operation. For instance, if the US were to conduct a Navy operation to destroy Iran's newly disclosed nuclear reactor, you would only be aware of this operation if you were participating in it, even if it were occurring from your very ship. Top secret clearance may include such information as the location of safe houses for Congress and the Cabinet, nuclear weapon security codes, and misinformation campaigns that intelligence agencies may use to neutralize threats to the nation. If you have top secret clearance, you would also know not to let a public forum know that you have top secret clearance because foreign intelligence agencies might develop a sudden interest in you.

DITTO.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
If you have top secret clearance, you would also know not to let a public forum know that you have top secret clearance because foreign intelligence agencies might develop a sudden interest in you.
Join the Army...Be all you can. Join the intranets, be all you can imagine.
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote