Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #43
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Todd, Ive had them..look at how they work, laser is pin point, radar gets the 1st guy and thats what I said…Im glad you think your radar detector has saved you money, but its Valentine thats laughing all the way to the bank..

By
the way, I have a marble that when dropped in your gas tank will double your milage and increase your horsepower…want one??
Wow,rude and condisending all in one. I won't get down to your level but I will tell you a couple weeks ago my V1 freaked out and informed me there was a cop with laser ahead so I slowed down and minute or so later there was a cop hiding behind a sign on the highway. No ticket for me. But, a friend of mine was behind me 2-3 minutes and he got caught. I'm $200 up and as I stated It has saved me numerous times. Not much else I can say.

But you being an expert and knowing everything there is to know, just keep going through life with your attitiude. Thats why whenever radar detectors come up here on C5 that so many of us on her have V1's. For everyone else here is a brief explanation on how laser radar works.

http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/laserdefense.asp

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #44
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
I drive between 80,000 and 100,000 miles per year, and never got a ticket. No radar detector either. Not driving like a fool is the best way to avoid tickets.
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #45
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I've had 2 speeding tickets in 45 years and none since 1977. First was in 74 Vega Estate wagon. The second was a 76 Malibu. Both times I was just not paying attention to what the speed limit was. I threw away my radar detector I bought in 1978 4 years later because I never needed it, and haven't had one since.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 AM   #46
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
this car has too much power to drive fast around town theres not enough room on the road once you shift up once.
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #47
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
this car has too much power to drive fast around town theres not enough room on the road once you shift up once.
According to the SAE J1439 chart I have seen, The LS3 doesn't make peak HP until very close to redline. Between 2000-4000 rpm, we're making about 175 to 300 hp

At that same 175 hp, we're only making about 350 lb/ft and we're trying to motivate a car weighing close to two tons.

Peak torque is at 4600 rpm, and it is, to be frank, fairly low at merely 420 lb/ft while rpm needs to be fairly high to achieve it.

Once you learn where to be 'on the cam' in the LS3, it's adequately powered and a lot of fun to drive. But a V8 engine that makes less than 400 lb/ft at 3000 rpm, and is being asked to move over 3900 lbs will feel lethargic at times. And our LS3 powered Camaros do. "Feels heavy" is a comment often read here. My own first impression is that I'd like to see another 50/lb ft from the engine. I've been driving big V8s- which the LS3 is not- for a long time, and I miss having more torque lower in the rpm range when driving my Camaro SS.

Now add that to our poor throttle response in stock form, and I have to respectfully disagree with any 'stock Camaro SS makes too much power' statement. I'd say that the Camaro SS is fairly well balanced for the type of car it is, without any standout reserves of power.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #48
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Not very well.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine a low 13-second car being that much harder to keep somewhere near the speed limit than a high 13-second car.
Your car wouldn't happen to have an aftermarket "race" tune now, would it?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #50
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
get a 6.2l Silverado better milage and alot more power
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #51
c-57d

Drives: 14 2SS/RS Triple Black Ragtop LS3
Put the top down and smile at all the people driving econoboxes. Drive slow enough so they get a really good look at your beautiful shiny Camaro.
They usually look pretty miserable once they figure out that you're living a life that they wish they had.
(it's my story and I'm sticking to it)
c-57d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #52
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-57d View Post
Put the top down and smile at all the people driving econoboxes. Drive slow enough so they get a really good look at your beautiful shiny Camaro.
They usually look pretty miserable once they figure out that you're living a life that they wish they had.
(it's my story and I'm sticking to it)

They're cool cars... but at the end of the day it is just a Camaro. The average Joe doesn't understand what is or is not under the hood (remember that today's car commercials stress how many tweeters are in the woofer of the bluetooth... not the performance of the engine). The Camaro, while not a cheap economy car, is not priced all that far out from a good percentage of the other cars out on the road today.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #53
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
They're cool cars... but at the end of the day it is just a Camaro. The average Joe doesn't understand what is or is not under the hood (remember that today's car commercials stress how many tweeters are in the woofer of the bluetooth... not the performance of the engine). The Camaro, while not a cheap economy car, is not priced all that far out from a good percentage of the other cars out on the road today.
With the amount of good comments a stares I get when driving...I think they are a step up from the average car on the road.......but the IMO with white stripes pops wherever I am.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #54
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
The Camaro is not a practical car. It's a car you buy because it's more fun to drive than an Impala.

Sluggish? I guess it's all compared to what you are used to.
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #55
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post

I guess you have never gone to WOT at 14mph in 4th.
lol!

What does that type of question do other than start a confrontation? You're a crusty ol bird sometimes. You feel WOT in 4th at 14 mph is an orgasmic experience. Good news, I guess.

If you don't like the numbers I cited, just post up the SAE J1439 chart and look for yourself. Heavy car+poor throttle response+low torque down low+peak hp up high does not equal a car that is too powerful, in any circumstance.

Will you deny that the car is heavy or that the throttle response is not great?

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 11-23-2014 at 12:13 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #56
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I take my truck and leave the Camaro and bikes in the garage.

Otherwise I'm breaking traffic laws constantly.