Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #57
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
You lose little HP with the dry filter. Oiled filter messing up the MAF only happens IF upon cleaning your oiled filter, you spray too much oil and overly saturate the filter, the excess oil gets sucked in, coats the MAF sensor, problem. I have the RF CAI with the oiled filter. I don't plan on cleaning it when it gets too dirty in a few years (I don't drive in dusty roads), I will just buy a new one.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #58
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I have a question on the Roto-Fab unit and I think this was answered once before but I can't find it.

I know your system comes with an oiled filter but you also offer a dry filter. I've heard where some people say the oiled filter can mess up the MAF (?) or something like that. Have you seen this issue with your unit on cars over the long term. Is it better to go with the dry filter? Are they any performance gains one way or the other? If I went with a dry filter, how long do they typically last before needing to be replaced (I know different driving conditions and different parts of the US make a difference on longevity)?
The dry filter will yield 1-2 HP less than the oil type. You won't have any issues with an oil filter if it isn't over oiled during servicing. You should service the filter every 15-20K depending on driving conditions. Some prefer to service more frequently. If you drive in a dusty climate, definitely service more frequently. Either version has a lifetime warranty and is manufactured in the USA.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #59
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Patrick,
Although we did make minor changes, I wouldn't consider the changes to be enough to warrant replacing your existing piece. We didn't make a drastic change-just a slight increase of the radius and a little smoother transition. The test plug was going overboard the other way. When testing, it's sometimes best to make a more drastic change in a given direction because it becomes easier to test the concept and recognize the differences between the original and the prototype.
Do I get a FREE or DRASTICALLY discounted CAI for bringing it to your attention. .

Can't blame a guy for trying.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #60
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Do I get a FREE or DRASTICALLY discounted CAI for bringing it to your attention. .

Can't blame a guy for trying.
Dang, I had a free one for you, but I cut it in half so I could post a picture of the radius!
Seriously, all suggestions are appreciated. BTW, much of my automotive experience is in designing and fabrication of turbo packages on LS motors. As you mentioned, the radius on the entry is very critical.
One of the advantages to molding our entry to the MAF sensor is we can incorporate a nice radius in the design.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #61
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Dang, I had a free one for you, but I cut it in half so I could post a picture of the radius!
Nothing a little Super Glue and Duct Tape couldn't take care of.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 11-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #62
Roto-fab 1

Here is the link to the video of the LS3 Camaro with the Roto-fab intake installed. It has a nice, throaty sound which can be heard over the whine of the dyno. We have video of the stock intake with the camera in the same location, but it needs to be posted again...a little lack of communication between my teenage son and I. Imagine that! We will get it posted soon.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #63
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
very easy to install, great product...
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #64
MaddogZ28

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28, 2011 SS/RS
Couple questions about the "knock" issue discussed earlier.

I live in Nebraska, home of 91 octane fuel. Will this be a problem with this intake? I dont want to sacrafice streetability, reliability, or my warranty by getting this intake.

From reading this thread it seems like at first the car develops a knock when the intake is first installed, after a short drive, the computer "learns" the intake, adjusts itself accordingly, and then you are good to go for the life of the car?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #65
MaddogZ28

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28, 2011 SS/RS
Also, whats the word on the power differences between the metal intake and the plastic one?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #66
black11

Drives: 2011 Black SS LS3
Has anyone ran a ported TB with the Roto-Fab? if so what kind of gains are you seeing? I heard the ported TB alone with the stock intake is worth like 8hp at the wheels.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #67
tomanji

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS
I just ordered a rotofab it has not come in yet... I was also wanting to order the adm race scoop... I dont know if this scoop is just for the adm intakes or if it will be a help to all intakes?? just wondering before I spend money on a scoop that wont help me...

thank.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #68
Jason@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Phastek
You will see the care and quality that Roto-Fab puts into their Product as soon as you open the box.They offer not only great power increase and throttle response, but let you make the choice on what color options you prefer. Hey and if you decide to add a Supercharger they have you covered on that as well. You will not find another company that spends the extra money to professionally package their product like Roto-Fab. All I have to say is Thanks To Mike at Roto-Fab for letting us sell your products.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #69
tomanji

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS
anyone want to chime in on what the ported TB's are making with the rotofab and adm race scoop?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #70
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanji View Post
anyone want to chime in on what the ported TB's are making with the rotofab and adm race scoop?
I would like to know this as well.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune

Closed Thread