Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
mtvcamaro

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel Camaro
Female Owner Needs Help!!

I've got a 2011 RS Camaro, manual transmission. When letting the clutch out in first gear, the car sometimes stalls out like the clutch has been popped. It's worse when a man drives it (my husband, brother, son, guy who pulled it onto bay to change oil. And yes, they all know how to drive a stick.) Anyone else have this problem or know what is wrong? I don't have any trouble with it, but every man who has driven it does.

Also, when I shift into sixth gear, it's like there is no power. It won't pick up speed and seems to bog down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mtvcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Unless you have a tune take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. Could be a hydraulics issue. Could be the synchros, shifter forks, etc are dorked up if its popping out of gear. Tough to diagnose over the internet without feeling it for yourself.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
As far as the 1st Gear and Clutch release: HEAVY FOOT + QUICK CLUTCH RELEASE + Traction Control = A stalling Feeling because TC is cutting Power.

As far as 6th goes, How fast are you going when you shift into 6th?

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
mtvcamaro

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel Camaro
Thanks to both of you for replying!

I'm going between 45 and 50 when shifting into 6th gear. Is that the problem? Drive locally and speed limit is 55--don't get much above that unless on a trip on the Interstate. (I know--a waste of the Camaro, but I've never had a speeding ticket and am not going to start now

Yes, I think a trip to the dealer is in my near future. The clutch just doesn't do like it does in other car that we've had when letting it out in first gear. The car really does die, and it's not from popping the clutch. It's almost like the car is in 3rd gear.
mtvcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Thats WAY low for 6th gear. I don't use it ever at those speeds. You're lugging the engine. 5th gear around down tops. I only use 6th on the highway at 65+.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I do use 6th gear when doing 45-50, but mostly to keep speed and save gas, if i want to pass, i drop it to 4th or 5th.
As far as the Clutch, ive only stalled it like 2 times. when im backing off my parking spot i dont even have to give it gas.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I too shift into 6th doing 45-50 frequently. Figured if skip shift has me shifting into 4th gear doing 18 MPH, that it was part of the gas savings..

No problem with the clutch or stalling though (male or female drivers).

I'd get it serviced ASAP though. Good Luck. Lori
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
6th can only accelerate you at about 54 mph and up, anything lower is too low unless you are on completely flat road.

The clutch catches very high up on these cars and 1st gear is very short on this car, combined with the car's heavy weight, you need to give it a decent amount of gas to get it moving.

If you still think there is a problem have a tech at the dealer drive it.

My pops has been driving stick for almost his entire life and he had a little bit of trouble with it at first as well. So just because other people who have driven it know how to drive stick and couldnt do it doesnt mean there is a problem with the car.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
I do use 6th gear when doing 45-50, but mostly to keep speed and save gas, if i want to pass, i drop it to 4th or 5th.
As far as the Clutch, ive only stalled it like 2 times. when im backing off my parking spot i dont even have to give it gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
I too shift into 6th doing 45-50 frequently. Figured if skip shift has me shifting into 4th gear doing 18 MPH, that it was part of the gas savings..

No problem with the clutch or stalling though (male or female drivers).

I'd get it serviced ASAP though. Good Luck. Lori
The OP's Camaro is an RS not an SS. For an RS 6th @ 45-50 is way too low.

christianmotox,
I'm guess your pic is more up to date than the wording under your Avatar.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I would agree with most everyone here. Have it checked by the dealer just to make sure it's not the vehicle. If you have any issues while at the dealer let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvcamaro View Post
I'm going between 45 and 50 when shifting into 6th gear. Is that the problem? Drive locally and speed limit is 55--don't get much above that unless on a trip on the Interstate. (I know--a waste of the Camaro, but I've never had a speeding ticket and am not going to start now
I drive 70 and never get into 6th gear. My car starts "lugging" when I shift into 6th at any speed under 65.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
EsteSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
I drive 70 and never get into 6th gear. My car starts "lugging" when I shift into 6th at any speed under 65.
Right there with ya. I have to be doing at least 80 to cruise in 6th. Of course I never worry about gas prices. Honestly I couldn't even tell you how much a gallon is. I figure if I look I'll just get pissed. But yea....drive around @ no lower than 2k. Helps when you need to pass someone too. Don't have to downshift, just go.

But all in all to the OP, Ditto on the getting it checked out. I do know these clutches are different. My cousin got in and stalled about 4 times before he could get it going. He drives a M6 4th Gen TA like a NASCAR driver, but had trouble with mine. It's all what your use too. I got in my dad's Cummins... That was a funny sight.
EsteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
sxty9GTO
VEGAS 11

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
6th gear is only for just that, highway speeds, flat driving. Trying to take a hill of any size bogs the car down and you start chasing the gears backwards to bring the rpm's back up to climb the hill. Your best gas milage will appear at 6th gear only if the hills are minimal. Again trying to pull a hill in the wrg gear will lessen your mileage also

Keep On Trucking
sxty9GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy View Post
The OP's Camaro is an RS not an SS. For an RS 6th @ 45-50 is way too low.

christianmotox,
I'm guess your pic is more up to date than the wording under your Avatar.
Nope, Still an LS .