Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #29
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
Yeah 89 is cheaper than 87 here, and 91/93 is only 20 cents more than the 89. 89 is $3.49, 87 is $3.63, and I believe 91/93 is $3.69.

If I am not mistaken we get a break on using Ethanol blended fuels because it requires corn and that is the main crop that we farm here in Iowa.

EDIT: Fixed 91/93 price. I said it was $3.59.
this is all i use also in all my cars and not a bit of problems tried 93 for a couple of tankfuls to see any difference and did not notice any thing different other than the cost! wasn't expecting a whole lot because of the V6.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #30
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
My favorite myth is 10% ethanol equals 25% reduction in fuel mileage.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #31
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post

.30 between mid grade and premium……..ummm are you sure?
Yes its not a regular blend like the homeland Michigan. Basically to find it you usually have to go to a station that sells racing fuel and they ain't cheap.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #33
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe h View Post
My favorite myth is 10% ethanol equals 25% reduction in fuel mileage.
With the 89 (10% Ethanol) I am averaging 24.5mpg for daily use and I get 28.2 mpg on long trips. I highly doubt you lose any mileage at all.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #34
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #35
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Mostly here in Md is 93 octane fuel. Honestly doesnt matter what grade it is ever since they started putting ethenol in the fuel its been nothing but crap anyway.
PIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Yes its not a regular blend like the homeland Michigan. Basically to find it you usually have to go to a station that sells racing fuel and they ain't cheap.
I'd believe that. Hey, we don’t have that here so charge more…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #37
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

And for you History buffs...

Octane History

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

During WWI, it was discovered that you can add a chemical called tetraethyl lead (TEL) to gasoline and significantly improve its octane rating above the octane/heptane combination. Cheaper grades of gasoline could be made usable by adding TEL. This led to the widespread use of "ethyl" or "leaded" gasoline. Unfortunately, the side effects of adding lead to gasoline are:

Lead clogs a catalytic converter and renders it inoperable within minutes.
The Earth became covered in a thin layer of lead, and lead is toxic to many living things (including humans).
When lead was banned, gasoline got more expensive because refineries could not boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades any more. Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline (known as AvGas), and octane ratings of 100 or more are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines. In the case of AvGas, 100 is the gasoline's performance rating, not the percentage of actual octane in the gas. The addition of TEL boosts the compression level of the gasoline -- it doesn't add more octane.

Currently engineers are trying to develop airplane engines that can use unleaded gasoline. Jet engines burn kerosene, by the way.

Team LS3
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #38
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Learned that in High School Chemistry and it probably helped that I grew up in SETex.. PetroChem is a way of life there and my father was on a CatCracker unit as an operator for decades. I actually watched the world's largest (at the time) Steam Cat Cracking unit get built. I even knew one of the German Engrs responsible for it..
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #39
BATMANs

Drives: GTO & NSX
Can someone tell me why over the years the octane has been lowering and lowering?

When I was in high school I remember 108 octane for premium unleaded pump gas at $.98/gal.

Regular octane was 98 and at $.90/gal
2005 GTO Maggie, Forged engine, CAI, Kooks LTH, Magnaflow, Billet Pro shifter, LS7 clutch, 245/275 18" on Petrol Octane, Addco Sways, Koni Yellows, King Springs, Whiteline bushings, EBC Red, X-drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, 55w HID, PLX gauges

1993 NSX Kenne Bell 2.1, Laminova IC, sway bars, NSX-R chassis bars, and non-compliance toe links, Tien EDFC, STMPO exhaust & brake ducts, RM Racing headers, K&N/Cantrall intake, Enkei RP03 17"18", APR GTC-300
BATMANs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #40
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

Exactly!

And BTW here on Long Island, a significant number of stations only have 87, 89 and 93, there is no 91 in many places.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #41
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMANs View Post
Can someone tell me why over the years the octane has been lowering and lowering?

When I was in high school I remember 108 octane for premium unleaded pump gas at $.98/gal.

Regular octane was 98 and at $.90/gal
Crude oil prices increasing and environmentalists.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #42
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Crude oil prices increasing and environmentalists.
I'd say more greedy traders and oil speculators, that and Oil Execs loving their billions in profit.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote