Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
BC Coilovers or Pedders Xa - what are your settings

Since coilovers are about to be on my car I was curious to see what those of you with BC Coilovers or Pedders Xa have your settings at. Maybe this will be a good thread for everyone to start posting you settings for others to try.

Personally I'm looking for a smoother than OEM ride for daily usage. I feel like even OEM is a little on the bouncy side for me. Then I would like to stiffen everything up for AutoX events and/or drag racing.

What settings have you tried for your different driving situations and what is your feedback for those settings?

Example: For daily street driving it seems like 15/15 (15 front / 15 rear) makes it feel like OEM and going 12/15 might make the ride even smoother.

Then, what settings are you using when you do an AutoX event?

How about drag racing? Any suggestions on what seems to work good there?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 09-15-2011 at 10:15 PM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
My settings are still in the box. Hopefully get some work done this weekend and get them and some other parts on.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It will ultimately be up to you, and what feels right to you. I went to 16/14 and It looks like that is where it will stay for now. Untill you crank it up over 20 you will not have any ride harshness, and even then only on bad roads.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
It will be up to you and how you want it to feel. Also has alot to do with your local roads. I have Pedders Xa's set at i believe 7 and 10 front/rear from soft and it feels very good as a daily driver imo
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Thanks for asking this question. I'm curious to know what others are running as well.

I'm still set at 15/15 since the install. I will be doing an autox this weekend so I am planning on doing 21f/24r to see how that goes. I really have no clue about what do with it for an Autox. I just "think" stiffer should be better. Right?

:cheers:
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I tried these below settings.

15/15 - very stock like ride
20/20 - noticeable stiffer but not that bad, but weight transfer was bad
15/10 - weight transfer when launching the car is MUCH better

Still running 15/10 right now for the past 500 miles and I'll be keeping it here as a DD.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
The setting will be based on your preferences but we start a lot of customers at the following:

Street: 10-12 Front and 10-12 Rear

Autocross: It is really dependent on the surface and what else is done to your suspension?

Drag: 0-3 Front and 20-28 Rear depending on track conditions

I've been playing with these at a lot of venues and with more information or with a description of what's happening once you actually start doing these activities I can give you better information.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
the biggest thing with the pedders is its design there made to be comfortable and the best thing is they retain your factory warranty
This is a little misleading.. If GM or GMPP offers a product such as coilovers they can not void your warranty if you choose a competitive aftermarket equivalent. We offer both Pedders and Pfadt along with Hotchkis and BMR.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Im at 14-10 with Pedders right now... Ride is good until speeds are up (over 50mph) and you hit dips. Then you "feel" it. Will play with it Oct 1st at my Autox but I will def be in the high 20's. Like a 27-20 or 24-20 something like that.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
With my street 2 kit with coils from Mike (bushings, sway bars & coils), I have kept mine at 12F/6R and it rides like OEM without the under steer and no back end wobbling in a hard turn. Planning to crank that up to 24/12 and tweaking with these # in Nov on a road course.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
Drag: 0-3 Front and 20-28 Rear depending on track conditions
this surprises me, i figured you would want a stiffer setting in front and a lighter setting in the rear to allow for the weight transfer to get over the rear wheels?

not questioning you just learning...
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Im at 14-10 with Pedders right now... Ride is good until speeds are up (over 50mph) and you hit dips. Then you "feel" it. Will play with it Oct 1st at my Autox but I will def be in the high 20's. Like a 27-20 or 24-20 something like that.
I would suggest going with 20F 22-24R to start depending on the surface. These cars tend to understeer and by having stiffer damping in the front you're basically making it worse. From there you can adjust the damping along with air pressure to help dial it in to your driving style. Sway bars are the best tool to control chassis balance however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
With my street 2 kit with coils from Mike (bushings, sway bars & coils), I have kept mine at 12F/6R and it rides like OEM without the under steer and no back end wobbling in a hard turn. Planning to crank that up to 24/12 and tweaking with these # in Nov on a road course.
I would suggest a square damping set up to start for the track and then adjust from there. I would go with 18-22 Front and Rear. What else do you have done to your suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin the BlueSS View Post
this surprises me, i figured you would want a stiffer setting in front and a lighter setting in the rear to allow for the weight transfer to get over the rear wheels?

not questioning you just learning...
With an IRS car if you set the rear soft for squat you get a huge camber and toe change; this causes you to have less tire contact patch and more toe-in which doesn't help with traction. When you set the rear up stiff it maintains your camber and toe (you will still get some toe-in) but it keeps more contact patch on the track. The front is set soft so it lifts easier when you're launching promoting the weight transfer.

I also recommend trailing arms/toe-links and sub-frame mounts along with a STIFF rear sway. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
With an IRS car if you set the rear soft for squat you get a huge camber and toe change; this causes you to have less tire contact patch and more toe-in which doesn't help with traction. When you set the rear up stiff it maintains your camber and toe (you will still get some toe-in) but it keeps more contact patch on the track. The front is set soft so it lifts easier when you're launching promoting the weight transfer.
cool makes sense
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
i have xa's...and 22's...mine is 7 fr 4 back,,,,its very smooth
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Hey everyone,

I went with 20F/24R today at my first Autox event...

I finished 8th in the novice class out of 24 drivers!

I finished 64th over all out of 83 in the PAX overall.

I think it worked.

here's a vid of my run final run.

I've posted this all over the place tonight. It was a BLAST.

If you have never done an Autox event. DO IT!!!! It was 10x more fun than a drag race.

The suspension, wheels, and tires worked great together. I was very surprised at how well I was able to do. I can't wait for the next one.

Thanks for all who posted info in here.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote