Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
cris

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
first gear in sport mode????

Hello

I see the my car start at 2 gear when I put the car in Sport Automatic mode..... the only way to start in first year is using the paddle shift and put first gear...

I have the HP Tuner so I need to know if I can modify this and get the car start at first gear in sport mode but in automatic??????

thanks for the help.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
cris

nobody??? I will like to start in First year in Sport mode in automatic.....

thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
nobody??? I will like to start in First year in Sport mode in automatic.....

thanks
This is how my 2010 SS works:

So you got three modes
D Drive is normal
S Sport when shifter is in M until you touch a shift paddle.
M Manual when shifter in M and once you touch a shift paddle.

Put it from D to M but dont touch the paddles. It's in Sports mode and an S appears in the center screen. Car shifts automatically but uses more aggressive shift program, and uses all gears including first.

Put it from D to M and touch a paddle and now your in Manual mode and M1-M6 appear according to your shift paddling.

M wont let you do stupid stuff like I have tried to paddle down to low gears while going highway speeds. I think it says Shift Denied. Also will automatically shift down to M2 (not M1, not M3) when you stop in case you forget to paddle down when you stop on those railroad tracks

Hope this helps!
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
In Sport mode it does start in 1st gear if you havent touched the paddles. If you use the paddles it will only go down to 2 unless you downshift. I'm not sure why, except that maybe due to how quickly you have to upshift out of 1st gear they decided its easier for most driving to just skip that gear.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
cris

Thanks for the replys, But I just want to start in First in Sport mode, when I stop at the light and go...... allways the car start in 2nd gear when is in Sport mode without touch any paddle shift......

I will like to have my car start at fisrt gear in sport mode without touch the paddle shift.

thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
What i do to put in first at a light is put it in M and then tap down to M1 put it back up to D and back to M Bam it will stays in 1ST. Have fun with your burnout
Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Thanks for the replys, But I just want to start in First in Sport mode, when I stop at the light and go...... allways the car start in 2nd gear when is in Sport mode without touch any paddle shift......

I will like to have my car start at fisrt gear in sport mode without touch the paddle shift.

thanks
Earlier you wrote that it was in M2.
The way mine behaves, if the dash says M2 the car is in Manual mode, and NOT Sport mode.
What kind of car do you have?
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS King View Post
What i do to put in first at a light is put it in M and then tap down to M1 put it back up to D and back to M Bam it will stays in 1ST. Have fun with your burnout

I'm slightly confused.

When the computer is shifting the car (D - Drive or M - Sport) you will always start in 1st gear from a stop.

If you talking about M - Manual (Tap shift mode) the tranmission only drops to 2nd gear at a stop. You must tap down to 1st gear to start in 1st. That can be changed if you get your car tuned. You can tune the tranmission to drop automatically to 1st gear (tap shift mode) when slowing down or stopping.

But again, if the computer is doing the shifting (D- Drive or M - Sport) the transmission always starts in 1st gear when you come to a stop.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS King View Post

So if I put Sport Mode and hit the paddle shift in first, then I go to D and go back to M sport automatic mode the car will start in that case in Fisrt??????

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just put the shifter in the "M" position (it will say "S" on your DIC) and DON"T touch the paddles. The car will do all the shifting, and when you stop, it will be in 1st gear.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Just put the shifter in the "M" position (it will say "S" on your DIC) and DON"T touch the paddles. The car will do all the shifting, and when you stop, it will be in 1st gear.

But if I do that the car dont start agressive..... its look like the car start in 2 gear..... thats the filling and the car not start hard if I DONT TOUCH THE PADDLE AND GO TO 1 gear.....

Thatīs why I think the in Sport mode the car start in 2 gear.

PD: AND ALLWAYS DRIVE MY CAR WITHOUT THE T/C and Stability mode OFF to.....
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
But if I do that the car dont start agressive..... its look like the car start in 2 gear..... thats the filling and the car not start hard if I DONT TOUCH THE PADDLE AND GO TO 1 gear.....

Thatīs why I think the in Sport mode the car start in 2 gear.

PD: AND ALLWAYS DRIVE MY CAR WITHOUT THE T/C and Stability mode OFF to.....
If you don't touch the paddles, the car should ALWAYS start from 1st once you come to a complete stop.

Maybe try this to test it. Put the car in M, drive down the street and come to a complete stop. Now tap the right paddle once. If you were in 1st, it should now say "M2" on your screen. If you were in 2nd when you did this, it'd say "M3." Although, I'm not sure you can even shift into 3rd when stopped?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
If you have HPT, just modify the shift tables. Here's the Normal and TUTD (tap up, tap down) shift points. It's based on speed and throttle position, and you'll notice in the TUTD table that the points for 2 > 1 are set to 0, so in HPT you'll need to move them up to a value higher than zero for them to actually do anything.

The tables will also put to rest any thoughts that you're starting in 2 when in an Auto mode. Unless your trans has been tuned otherwise, the stock points move you down to 1st at under 6 mph when not on the gas. And at WOT, you'll downshift 2 > 1 if you start at 27mph or less.

Last edited by AiRDawG; 04-19-2012 at 01:20 PM.
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Suggest leaving TUTD mode as is. An automatic downshift to M1 can be commanded in TUTD with HPT. But the first time you forget you are in 'M' mode at a stop the engine will overrev before you can get to the TU button. Then you will realize why GM chose to limit automatic downshift to M2.

Use the 'S' mode 'Pattern B' tables to make the car more aggressive.