Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Drag radial, tire sensor needed for PTM 5?

I have a set of 18" rims with 305/45/18s mounted. When I picked up the combo they did not have the tire sensor installed. I'm wondering if I should have the sensors installed if I plan to use PTM 5 at the drag strip.
I thought I read somewhere that one of the readings the software algorithm used was tire pressure and temp.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm getting ready to mount new rubber on the rims and would like to instal the tire sensors if needed.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would think yes but dont' have my car yet to know for sue. I know on my corvette if the TPMS is showing an error I can't override it.

another trick is too put sendors in a presurized container of some kind ha ha. I have never done that though only read about it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
jaggedx

Drives: Lots of stuff plus a 2012 Black ZL1
You may want to shoot an Email off to one of these High po companies that have been running their ZL's at the track with different combos. like lingenfelter or redline.
jaggedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Why not just have them installed and not have to worry if they're needed or not.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Why not just have them installed and not have to worry if they're needed or not.

True, I was planning to do that anyways. I was just thinking of the person that might have a set of tires and rims already to go with out that sensor. Who knows, maybe it would throw a code if you didn't have all the items needed for launch control to work correctly.

I looked in my owners manual and I didn't see anything there for it.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
atintpro
tintpro

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE , '69 454 camaro,
Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggedx View Post
You may want to shoot an Email off to one of these High po companies that have been running their ZL's at the track with different combos. like lingenfelter or redline.
Redline says he wants to help ZL1 owners but has yet to answer any of my questions with a straight answer. He just wants to put a package together and sell it. Good luck getting anything out of him, he acts like its all top secret and your trying to steal his spotlight. Lingenfelter just wants to sell you parts or a package as well. Believe me I've tried to get info...like pulling teeth with these guys.
atintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
atintpro
tintpro

I am quite surte it will throw a code as all 4 wheels have speed sensors as well. So, if the car sees the front wheels moving without the rears you will set the speed sensor and a check engine light. This also happens when you put a line lock in and do big burnouts like I do. So, unless you want to run with the check engine light on I would put them in.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Does the sensor just read air pressure only?...if so it won't affect performance on the drag strip if you don't have it installed...use a traditional tire pressure gauge to set air pressure. Let the DR's fly...if you get a code it can be easily be reset once you put the stock tires back on. It should not have any affect on the performance of the car I would imagine.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Does the sensor just read air pressure only?...if so it won't affect performance on the drag strip if you don't have it installed...use a traditional tire pressure gauge to set air pressure. Let the DR's fly...if you get a code it can be easily be reset once you put the stock tires back on. It should not have any affect on the performance of the car I would imagine.
on the corvettes you can't dissable the traction contol if there is a TPMS error so it affect you perfromance drastically depending on your setup.

it is not a code really it is just an active system that monitors your tire pressure. and easy way to test it is let a little air out down to 24psi. you will see the littel icon on the dash light up. then system will active then see if all the modes are availible.

on my Corvette you are sol. your below 24psi you can't defeat traction control.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned

Last edited by hognutz; 06-26-2012 at 11:05 PM.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
atintpro
tintpro

It is not the same as the corvette, it will not effect the performace right away. After the code is on for a while it will put it in to a mode you will not like. I have many passes on car #261 and I have learned a lot. The code is can be cleared easily with a code reader/clearer. I found a way to do a burn out without throwing it imediately, but still will after about the 3rd one. Have a reader on hand if you are going to race. You can even throw the code without a line lock...mine just got more evident afterwords.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Z69

Drives: ZL1 ,TT 03 cobra,69 camaro
If you put the sensors in and lower the air pressure your going to get a low tire pressure alarm anyways!!! I say run without the sensors. If you have issues with the PTM's I would use PVC container with the sensors inside pressurized to the right PSI
Z69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by atintpro View Post
I am quite surte it will throw a code as all 4 wheels have speed sensors as well. So, if the car sees the front wheels moving without the rears you will set the speed sensor and a check engine light. This also happens when you put a line lock in and do big burnouts like I do. So, unless you want to run with the check engine light on I would put them in.
Speed sensors and tpms sensors are different. Speed sensors are not in the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z69 View Post
If you put the sensors in and lower the air pressure your going to get a low tire pressure alarm anyways!!! I say run without the sensors. If you have issues with the PTM's I would use PVC container with the sensors inside pressurized to the right PSI
It's funny you say that. In my truck with new wheels I just put all 4 sensors inside my spare tire lol.

Also if you have extra wheels with sensors on them you have to reprogram TPMS every time you swap wheels so it will see the new sensors.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote