Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
jsherm007
Always drop the top
 
jsherm007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Vert 2LT z51
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 158
That vinyl in the trunk, that's tied up is to block off the top area, right? Is only way to undo it is by cutting them? They don't have a snap or anything???
jsherm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #30
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherm007 View Post
That vinyl in the trunk, that's tied up is to block off the top area, right? Is only way to undo it is by cutting them? They don't have a snap or anything???
If you are talking about what I think you are talking about DO NOT TOUCH THAT!
That is part of the water management system. It collects water when it rains and funnels it out under your car.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
OrangeVert
"Catharine"
 
OrangeVert's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 2,133
[QUOTE=MLL67RSSS;4417411]I believe the issue is with the glass window, NOT the top. If you lower the top with something too tall in the trunk it can break/shatter the glass rear window. Don't know on the new Camaro, but in some cars if you break the convertible glass rear window it requires the entire top to be replaced. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Knew someone (not in a Camaro) who put their top down while out and forgot they had stuff in the trunk. Powered the top down, almost down, motor strains/slows, POP!!!!!! Followed by the sound of the bits of shattered glass flying around in the trunk. ]

+1 Bingo. I don't trust myself.
__________________
OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #32
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,826
I have actually put my top down with something too big ion my trunk a few times now. With the way our tops fold it is next to impossible to break the rear glass like this.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #33
AuburnGrad93
 
AuburnGrad93's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Summit White Vert 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chattanooga, TN & McDonough, GA
Posts: 313
I know this is an old thread now, but thanks for the information! I was able to remove the "Nanny Net" without any problems! Thanks!!!
__________________
1999 30th Anniversary Convertible Trans Am
2001 SOM Convertible Trans AM
2012 2SS/RS Summit White Convertible



My Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224339
AuburnGrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #34
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker
 
AbsoluteMayheM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Napanee, Ontario
Posts: 434
I don't mind the net nanny.

However, I was caught in a freak sunny day rain shower, I pulled over to put the top up and totally forgot about the tounel cover!! It heard the POP of the tounel cover popping loose. Man I so wish he vert was like the C6/7 vet!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
2011 2SS/RS

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #35
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies
 
classicrockr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2LT/RS Hyper Blue Vert Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Havelock NC
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayheM View Post
I don't mind the net nanny.

However, I was caught in a freak sunny day rain shower, I pulled over to put the top up and totally forgot about the tounel cover!! It heard the POP of the tounel cover popping loose. Man I so wish he vert was like the C6/7 vet!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Don't remember where it was at ( I think it was on an interview for the Stingray) but it's been said that 6th Gen will have the roof system like the Stingray - roof goes OUTSIDE the car so no need for drainage bag. And the back deck will serve as the cover when it's retracted.

I noticed that you can get the Stingray with an option to remove the roof for about 5k. There are clips inside the trunk to hold the roof when it's off. Would you rather have a removable hardtop like this or the regular vert?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #36
babaron
Totally into it
 
babaron's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 654
Retractable folding hardtop would be nice.
__________________
____________________________________THERE MUST BE A SUPPORT GROUP FOR THIS ADDICTION. AM I IN THE RIGHT PLACE?
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #37
sledgehammer
 
Drives: 2014 Convertible LS3
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Woodside, NY
Posts: 37
So the other day I wanted to put the top down. I pulled over and popped the latch hit the button and nothing happens. I get the notice on the dash about the safety net, so I open my door hit the trunk button and walk around back. Trunk still closed because I did not relatch the roof. Duh! Latch the roof pop trunk walk back and open the trunk and holy crap the trunk is full of stuff that I totally forgot about... I think I'll leave my safety net hooked up.
sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:05 AM   #38
OrangeVert
"Catharine"
 
OrangeVert's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
So the other day I wanted to put the top down. I pulled over and popped the latch hit the button and nothing happens. I get the notice on the dash about the safety net, so I open my door hit the trunk button and walk around back. Trunk still closed because I did not relatch the roof. Duh! Latch the roof pop trunk walk back and open the trunk and holy crap the trunk is full of stuff that I totally forgot about... I think I'll leave my safety net hooked up.
Cool! This is why I left mine connected.
__________________
OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #39
linc400
 
linc400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 252
Mine is a daily driver, and I leave the net out all the time just in case I decide to put the top down whenever I feel like it. The net itself doesn't bother me too much. It is the fact that the damn thing snaps shut anytime you hit a pothole, turn a corner, etc. It scares the hell out of me for a fraction of a second, and then I have to pull over and pull the damn thing out again.

I thought unplugging it might not be a bad idea at first, but then it is always possible I might forget that I put something in the trunk.

I notice the plastic rod is now bowed and the thing snaps closed more than before. Has anybody tried replacing with a metal rod, or done something so that it is not constantly snapping shut?
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #40
SomeGeoffGuy
 
SomeGeoffGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 505
Sounds like you might have a broken rod. I drive my car through the streets of Detroit - which are pot hole and rising expansion joint ridden - and I have never had it pop off on a bump.

-Geoff
__________________
'12 2SS RS Convertible - Traded in.
'16 2SS Convertible - White on white, mag-ride, NPP, nav.
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #41
linc400
 
linc400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 252
It is not broken. It is in one piece. It has done it since new. Although now the plastic rod is a little bowed from having things in the trunk bang up against it when driving. So now it does it even more frequently with the bowed rod. That is why I was wondering if anyone had tried to replace it with a metal rod instead of the cheap plastic one it came with. Because I'm sure that even if they replaced the plastic rod under warranty, it would do the same thing eventually.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #42
Baba

 
Baba's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USAREUR, CONUS/DOD-A, VA
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
I believe the issue is with the glass window, NOT the top. If you lower the top with something too tall in the trunk it can break/shatter the glass rear window. Don't know on the new Camaro, but in some cars if you break the convertible glass rear window it requires the entire top to be replaced. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Knew someone (not in a Camaro) who put their top down while out and forgot they had stuff in the trunk. Powered the top down, almost down, motor strains/slows, POP!!!!!! Followed by the sound of the bits of shattered glass flying around in the trunk.
+1 Bingo. I don't trust myself.
Add me to that list, as well! Life experience has taught me "sh*t happens." I just don't want it happening to me (anymore) if I can avoid it.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Summit White
Black Leather
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.