Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Gilmour's 30x60x28 Loft/Garage - Home of Detroit Muscle

HAHAHA...
just joking Chris!

Hey Guys... time to start another build thread! I am building a Pole Barn back in Northern Michigan. I didnt even realize we had a garage section until I ran across Chris's build thread. I know a few of us Camaro5 guys have threads over at GarageJournal.com as well.. since a few of you have found me.

But thought I should run dual threads here so I can share my progress with my family here. So some of this will be a copy and paste from my other thread.

So here are a few of my posts to get you all caught up on my progres so far.

A thread for a 30x60 Pole Barn with upstairs loft

Quick run down on me and where I come from.
I am 27 years old, car nut, outdoorsman, techie (this will play into the design), I grew up in Northern Michigan, near Traverse City, Fife Lake to be exact. After college I moved to Austin Texas where I lived in all sorts of modern downtown condos (also playing into the design) and started work for an IT Consulting firm, with this career I travel a lot. Usually 46 weeks a year I spend 4 days a week at the client site. Meaning that I travel to my client, currently in NYC and am only home on the weekends. (also playing into the design)

After 4 years in Austin I have decided that it was time to move back home, I missed my family, the nature, the bearable temperatures (i dont mind winter, but Texas summers are a.... )
It was my Dad that got me going on this more than 6 months ago. I think his exact words were.... "You have too much shit in my garage and barn, you should build one of your own".... to my response... "ok sure, if I had a house, or property"..... to his suprising response... "I am going to give you a 50x150 Lot on the other side of the road".......... me: "thank you"

So fast forward a few months, I moved home the May 22nd 2011, and here I am starting my build thread on May 31st with progress underway.
It will not be a fast project, I just want to keep making progress and be able to have the loft livable before the temps start to drop. I have a pretty decent Motley Crew of helpers that should make this project go by fairly smoothly… ooops, did I just jinx myself. I hope to learn a lot during the project, that is my main goal.

So without further ado, my mild mannered team of misfits…

Dick, my dad is quite the handy man and as long back as I can remember he has done all the work on our house, ranging from plumbing to electrical to adding on decks and bedrooms
Tom, my uncle, another jack of all trades, plus his love for heavy equipment always comes in handy
Tyler, my cousin, heir to his family construction empire from a few cities away, he is the key… he can run the bobcat with finesse and hang trusses with the best of them…. Not to mention… family discount ;-)
Cheyne, my sister’s boyfriend, a licensed Heating and Cooling guy,
Nick, my childhood friend, who is there too… well, drink beer and pick stuff up I guess,
Moose, another friend that happens to be a master electrician who works for beer and gas money.

So with this group I hope to move my project along at a decent pace and hopefully pick up some skills that will help me later on in life.

So here I will list out a few of the points of interest in my build, this will grow, expand and change as time goes on. Most of this is only in my head and not thought out yet.

30x60 Pole Barn with Gambrel Roof and Upstairs Loft
Garage characteristics

Stainless washtub
Bendpak 4 post lift
Storage and organization
Infrared ceiling heat
Big overhead front garage door (10x10?)
Smaller overhead back garage door
More to come

Loft characteristics

Nice looking wood floors
Mix between modern/urban and outdoors themes
Wood walls with stainless appliances
All electronics/thermostat controlled by Iphone
Biometric thumbprint door locks
Full kitchen
Full bath
Lots of storage
Fold up bunk beds
Slider for deck access
More to come
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Below are some sketches I made with my lot size, building placement and loft design.

again, most of this is all in my head, so who knows what will work and what won't... until we try, or until you more expert users inform me

Here are some inspirational pics I have found on this website and on the internet in general.

I really want this building to fit into the neighborhood and blend with the trees.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
You ****ers.

I want a knew house too.

Dude. I LOVE exposed rafters and beams. Lots of wood and overhead is my dream. I may never have it but can't wait to see what you end up with.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

TIIIIMBBER

The is 50x150 and has quite a few trees in it, with the 20ft setback from the front property line, only 3 Maples were really an issue for the garage, but the property line had 7 white pines that we really wanted to take out. They are messy trees, they make having grass impossible and were 60ft tall, I know they would be dropping needles all over my new roof.

We ended up pulling out... I mean pushing down 10 trees in all, with 1 or 2 more still up for debate.
We know we are not professionals, but we were pretty proud of our accomplishments... 11hrs, 10 trees, 6 guys, 2 chainsaws, 1 backhoe, 4 pizzas, and 60 Strohs later we were a tired group of guys
(*note, the Strohs drinkers were not operating machinery, just hauling out brush)

Here are some pics from the begining of Phase 1, Phase 1 will end when we get the fill sand brought in, compacted and leveled.

lots of you know my buddy Nick... he thought that log looked like a naked guy... so he wanted a picture of it. hahaha
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
You ****ers.

I want a knew house too.

Dude. I LOVE exposed rafters and beams. Lots of wood and overhead is my dream. I may never have it but can't wait to see what you end up with.

hahahaha...

its not so much a house... an awesome garage with an attic to keep my stuff, with sweet wood floors and stainless appliances. hahaha.

I am only home a few weekends a month, so this will be perfect for now, and later on when I buy a place, i can rent this out to vacationers and snowmobilers. haha

i can imagine
Quote:
Lots of wood is my dream.
you fool
Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
you fool
OMFG..........

Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

here are some videos that I have been putting together as we go.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

You greedy bastard.

You'll have another one and you already had one?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

2 months after knocking down trees! finally... a building permit

took two months to get BLUEPRINTs and our permit ready... really.. blueprints... for a garage. haha. long story here, i will spare you.

here are some pics of the sand pad we put in and the wood splitting activities we had to do to get the lot cleaned up for poles and concrete footings.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Dayummm you've come a long way already on this project... and some serious firewood stored up too. Hope there's room for a Camaro this Winter with all your stuff in there..
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
You greedy bastard.

You'll have another one and you already had one?

say what?

i didnt have one.... well... technically i own the house next door to this barn,... but I do not handle that rental.. thats all dads doing.

but yes.. after this gets built and should be paid off semi quickly, i can start looking for a beach house!

on the Peninsulas

Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
say what?

i didnt have one.... well... technically i own the house next door to this barn,... but I do not handle that rental.. thats all dads doing.

No..... On the video you told the lady you wanted another one, and she said "You already had one?"
Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Dayummm you've come a long way already on this project... and some serious firewood stored up too. Hope there's room for a Camaro this Winter with all your stuff in there..
I hope it will be ready to store anything this winter. haha.

it already has 3 maybe 4 cars that will be in it this winter... depending if my uncle steals a spot for his vette like he is saying. haha

more pics coming in a few minutes
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:

No..... On the video you told the lady you wanted another one, and she said "You already had one?"
oh.. haha.. didnt re-listen to it before i posted it... probably talking about a Strohs. hahaha

Tags
bend pak, concrete, detroit muscle, garage