Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Oiled Intake filter question

Can i use just about any recharge kit for an oiled rotofab air intake filter? I don't want to spend almost double the price of one from the usual suppliers when i can get it for almost $10-15 on Amazon.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Pitboss

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS
I've used K&N recharge kit a few times, but I like the RotoFab kit a little better.... seems the cleaner is better and the oil wicks more even...
Old 10-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Can i use just about any recharge kit for an oiled rotofab air intake filter? I don't want to spend almost double the price of one from the usual suppliers when i can get it for almost $10-15 on Amazon.

I've been wondering this myself...
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Anyone else with some additional insight? Thanks Pitboss for the reply

Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
IOMss11

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange metallic 2SS
I ended up just buying a brand new.filter, mine lasted over 12k miles and the new filter was. $70. Not bad for a year and saves me the Hassel of ****ing up the MAF sensor
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Pitboss

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMss11 View Post
I ended up just buying a brand new.filter, mine lasted over 12k miles and the new filter was. $70. Not bad for a year and saves me the Hassel of ****ing up the MAF sensor
I also have a second oiled filter... keeps me from having a lot of down time, when it's time to change... take one off, put fresh filter on... have plenty of time to clean, dry and oil the spare...
Old 10-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
MYBADSS

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Convertible Automatic
I keep 2 filters also. Always use MAF spray cleaner 50 miles after clean install to take care of any excess oil blow by.
MYBADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Back to the original question. Does it matter which cleaner is used or will any cleaner work? Obviously having a second filter on hand is always nice but, in my eyes, not worth the extra cost since my filter works fine. Either way you need to clean and recharge them. My question on that to you guys is, why did you buy an oiled filter and not a paper one that you can buy a lot cheaper since you buy extra filters anyway?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Well I don't have a RotoFab. I have a CAI, Inc. intake, but I would think the answer to your question would be similar. It depends a lot on how you drive it, first of all. If you drive down a dirt road every day it will obviously need recharging/cleaning more often. Otherwise, with normal driving and periodic cleaning of the filter, it should be many thousands of miles between recharges.

I inquired about this to CAI and here is what I wrote: "I have had one of your cold air intakes on my 2013 Camaro SS for almost two years and am 100% satisfied with its performance and looks. I looked on your website and elsewhere but have not been able to find a reference to how often the air filter should be recharged. I'm know it would vary depending on conditions, but I'm talking for ordinary regular driving. I
have almost 18K miles on the original CAI filter and give it a low-pressure
vacuuming at each oil change (about every 5K miles), or when I see bugs or trash
on it - this is rare but I do have an Apex air scoop so I do get the occasional
dragonfly, bumblebee, etc. sucked into the airbox. Really though, I do mostly
normal highway driving (no racing) and keep the filter pretty clean. So - about how often do you think I should recharge the filter?"

And here is the response I received from CAI: "With the care you are giving your air filter, a "recharge" may not be needed for a very long time. I've seen our filters that were cared for with over 50k miles on them and not needing a recharge. The main thing is dirt and soiling of the filter pleating, once you can see that more than 50% of the filter pleating is completely clogged with dirt, then it may be advantageous to do a full recharge on it. If there is not extreme soiling to the pleating, the recharge is not
going to improve performance, an just keeping it dirt free and clean is all that
is needed. I hope that helps!"

I intend to continue taking care of my filter and doubt I will even consider a recharge until at least 40k-50k miles.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
I have almost 35,000 miles on my CAI filter and it doesn't look like it needs charging yet.
I bought a new CAI filter so I'm ready when the time comes. No matter how it looks I guess I'll change it at 50K and just order a new one, that was I don't have to worry about ruining another MAF like I did on a LS1
Old 10-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Yeah, if I can get 50K out of mine (and I think I can with regular attention) I'll probably just get a new filter.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
fradaj

Drives: RS
You can use any good cleanser type soap and quality light oil to "recharge" your filter. Dishwashing soap and 10W40 will work. I just use the K&N cleaner and oil since I have a K&N filter.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Funny I found this. I just cleaned and charged my ADM today. I decided to check it out and pulled the lid off there was a fair amount of dirt and crud in there I also have a scoop. I just used a K&N kit. ADM uses a Lingenfelter air filter but it just looks like a private label K&N to me. I'll pull it and clean the MAF this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
Dishwashing soap and 10W40 will work. I just use the K&N cleaner and oil since I have a K&N filter.
Wait - Dove and 10W40 is fine for others, but manufacturer's recommended stuff for you?

I would be very hesitant to do the former. In fact... I wouldn't. I can see the greasy bubbles coming out of the tailpipes now.