Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
JFWJR179

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise - 2014

For those planning to attend, it would be cool for ZL1 owners and
5th Gen Camaros to meet in a parking lot on Sat. 8/16/2014 at 9 or 10am
and then caravan along the official cruise route as a huge parade of
ZL1's and other 5th Gen Camaros

Anybody else interested in doing this ?

IF yes, then let's pick a gathering place and time.
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
I went when I lived up there. If you have not done the dream cruise and you're a car guy, you should make it a point to go.

As for the parking lot, nothing along the cruise corridor will be open. I suggest somewhere around Oakland Mall. Then just jog down 14 Mile to Woodward and do the loop. At 2mph.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quite a few of the members of the Detroit5thGen Camaro Club park in Memorial Park in Royal Oak at the corner of 13mile and Woodward. For $35 you get to park in the park itself which is right along Woodward both Friday and Saturday. During Friday, you can come and go all day long. On Saturday, Once you park and leave, there is no re-entry.
It's the perfect place to park as you have a guarantied spot, and the have bleachers set up right on Woodward for your use.
Plus, 13mile is right at the midpoint of the cruise down Woodward.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
That sounds way better than my suggestion.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
JFWJR179

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Quite a few of the members of the Detroit5thGen Camaro Club park in Memorial Park in Royal Oak at the corner of 13mile and Woodward. For $35 you get to park in the park itself which is right along Woodward both Friday and Saturday. During Friday, you can come and go all day long. On Saturday, Once you park and leave, there is no re-entry.
It's the perfect place to park as you have a guarantied spot, and the have bleachers set up right on Woodward for your use.
Plus, 13mile is right at the midpoint of the cruise down Woodward.
1. How do I pay my $35 now to reserve my parking in Memorial Park
for Fri 8/15/2014 and Sat 8/16/2014 ?

2. A group of ZL1's and 5th Gen Camaros can all leave the park together
on Sat morning at a pre-determined time to form a caravan/parade along the official route to Pontiac and then loop around and go back to the starting point in Ferndale.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I'd be interested in joining. I live in Rochester Hills and I have been to almost every cruise since 1997. The past couple years I've been limited on cruising because of some weddings and family parties. Hoping to be out there for the full event this year. I would love to caravan it up in the morning. It's my favorite time to drive because you can actually move at 10 mph for a long distance. Looks bad ass seeing wall of camaros rolling!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
JFWJR179

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCamaroZL1 View Post
I'd be interested in joining. I live in Rochester Hills and I have been to almost every cruise since 1997. The past couple years I've been limited on cruising because of some weddings and family parties. Hoping to be out there for the full event this year. I would love to caravan it up in the morning. It's my favorite time to drive because you can actually move at 10 mph for a long distance. Looks bad ass seeing wall of camaros rolling!
Sounds like a definite plan.
Tell all your Camaro and ZL1 friends,in the Detroit area so we can do this.
Sat. morning is ok with me. What time do you like ?

We can have a Camaro5 cruise within the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFWJR179 View Post

on Sat morning at a pre-determined time to form a caravan/parade along the official route to Pontiac and then loop around and go back to the starting point in Ferndale.
I will have to look and see If I can find the form you have to fill out and send in.

Since I notice you also have a convertible, let me mention something.

Last year, and I believe they're going to do it again this year, they were asking for volunteering with convertibles to help with a local charity for disabled people Called the D-man Foundation.
They use a small crane/lift to load the disabled people into your car (thus the need for a convertible) along with their handler.
These are people that are for the most part quadriplegic's that never get the chance to ride in a car at all, they're usually transported in high topped vans. This gives them a unique chance to not only ride in a car, but in a convertible, on a beautiful summer day ON WOODWARD in the DREAM CRUISE!!
This is done Friday afternoon, the day before the official Dream Cruise, but Woodward is packed with awesome rides the entire week leading up to that Saturday.
Last year I think we had about 14 convertibles that helped out, and let me tell you, the smiles you put on their faces are absolutely PRICELESS!

It will bring a warmth to your heart and joy like you never experienced before!

I have not gotten the details yet for this years event, but I've been assured they will do it again this year. Once I get the details, I'll pass them on.

Here is a clip of last year and I'm the grey haired guy in the black ZL1 Vert.

Before we even left the parking lot, I paused to turn all the nannies off and just lit up the tires for a second. The smile on my passengers face could light up a city block. In fact that's what I'm doing in the picture here of the clip. Look at the smile on his face.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
HDRDTD

Quote:

Hopefully I've attached the form you need to fill out.
Parking is limited, so send the form in ASAP for best results.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf City of Royal Oak Parking for Cruise.pdf (281.9 KB, 372 views)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #10
JFWJR179

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Hopefully I've attached the form you need to fill out.
Parking is limited, so send the form in ASAP for best results.
Thanks for posting the parking application form.
I mailed mine in with $35 yesterday to a man named Bob in TN who is
processing the applications for the city of Royal Oak

Hope to see you there on Friday and or Saturday
Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I am going to chime in as an enthusiast that has lived in Royal Oak for 14 years and has been to every Dream Cruise prior to living in the heart of the beast.

• You will not find a random spot on Woodward Saturday morning as most are claimed and pay to park.
  • As you are already doing, for a group you need to find parking before the event.
  • After about 10:00AM on Saturday traffic between 12 and 14 mile is pretty much a crawl. By late afternoon Woodward from Maple (aka 15) to 11 mile is crawling. It can be hour (s)+ to get a mile or two.
  • If you want to actually cruise, the week leading up to the cruise is the best time. It is still very busy and Woodward is are lined with people, but it is not official cruise time.
  • Most car clubs use a night during the week to make their "run" up or down Woodward....The Corvette club is usually the largest and most impressive on I believe Wednesday night before the cruise.
  • The week leading up to the cruise is heavily policed in all communities along the Woodward corridor. Most tickets are for careless.
Feel free to ask any general questions about the cruise or the area and I will try to keep and eye on this thread.

-Matt
Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I am going to chime in as an enthusiast that has lived in Royal Oak for 14 years and has been to every Dream Cruise prior to living in the heart of the beast.

• You will not find a random spot on Woodward Saturday morning as most are claimed and pay to park.
  • As you are already doing, for a group you need to find parking before the event.
  • After about 10:00AM on Saturday traffic between 12 and 14 mile is pretty much a crawl. By late afternoon Woodward from Maple (aka 15) to 11 mile is crawling. It can be hour (s)+ to get a mile or two.
  • If you want to actually cruise, the week leading up to the cruise is the best time. It is still very busy and Woodward is are lined with people, but it is not official cruise time.
  • Most car clubs use a night during the week to make their "run" up or down Woodward....The Corvette club is usually the largest and most impressive on I believe Wednesday night before the cruise.
  • The week leading up to the cruise is heavily policed in all communities along the Woodward corridor. Most tickets are for careless.
Feel free to ask any general questions about the cruise or the area and I will try to keep and eye on this thread.

-Matt
Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
JFWJR179

I am still interested in having a Camaro5 cruise next week on Friday 8/15/14

We can gather at Memorial Park near 31000 Woodward Ave. Royal Oak
and cruise the loop as a group, then return to the Park.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
I am still interested in having a Camaro5 cruise next week on Friday 8/15/14

We can gather at Memorial Park near 31000 Woodward Ave. Royal Oak
and cruise the loop as a group, then return to the Park.
You'd have to do it no later than Wednesday or else it's a parking lot.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote