Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
Clutch and Shifting new 1LE

So I picked up my 1LE yesterday. When driving normal I am able to shift the clutch smoothly. However, if I accelerate fast and shift from 1 to 2 it jerks a bit. Am I just not releasing the clutch fast enough? This is the first car where the clutch to me feels like it has a harder spring on the last 1/3 of the way up than it does the first 1/3 of the way up. Thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe as I get used to it, the shifting will be smoother. Just curious what others think. All my other manuals were Hondas and not sports cars.
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Eric59

Drives: 2013 Summit White 1LE
I think you need to drive it more to get use to the clutch. I noticed its a different feel from my V6 I had. Took me some seat time too

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
So I picked up my 1LE yesterday. When driving normal I am able to shift the clutch smoothly. However, if I accelerate fast and shift from 1 to 2 it jerks a bit. Am I just not releasing the clutch fast enough? This is the first car where the clutch to me feels like it has a harder spring on the last 1/3 of the way up than it does the first 1/3 of the way up. Thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe as I get used to it, the shifting will be smoother. Just curious what others think. All my other manuals were Hondas and not sports cars.

Ive noticed the same thing but I am noticing it less and less the more I drive the car. Just a matter of seat time as stated previously.
canecorso69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
giant_g2

Drives: '13 1LE, '89 Caprice
It just takes some time. I was so much worse when I started, now I'm better. You may be pushing the clutch in too far. You only need to push it in about 1/3 of the way when moving. Also, you could be experiencing skip shift. When going 1-4 you have to wait longer or use more clutch for the rpms to drop. The trans gets smoother around 1200mi. I hear that changing the trans and diff fluids after 2000mi really helps.
giant_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
I don't have a 1le but 13'2ss m6 and when I first bought the car I thought the clutch was the same way almost kicking it out takes time to get use to or try letting clutch out slower
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
SS1LE
2013 Camaro SS 1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Yeah, I'm a great , manual driver but this clutch feels so much different. Almost harder to drive, but I haven't driver a manual in over 10 years lol. So I find that I have to ease of the clutch with more work in normal driving around town, but when I'm racing....no problems.
SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post

shaggy2002,

Glad to hear you went and picked up your 1LE! Please keep me updated on the concern with your clutch. We're here to help in case these matters worsen. We're a message away if you need us.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Wildcherry13

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS IOM 1LE
Well you can always let me borrow it. I'll be happy to break her in for ya! Then I'll be happy to teach you! Lol Congrats she's a beauty!
Wildcherry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Dillinger1LE

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS 1LE
I to was popping the clutch to fast but the more i drive the smoother it become, also at first the gears felt a little notchy but as the car broke in the gears started to shift smoother as well
Dillinger1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
I had the same concern at first too. And at low speed like parking it makes a lot of clunking and chattering noise. But after a while you'll get used to it.

As long as the noise doesn't worsen and the clutch doesn't fail it will be alright for me since I don't hear it as often any longer.

Compared to other manufacturers cars though it's not the same. Japanese clutches are too passive for me. I like German clutches like what was in my S4; super stuff pedal though the throw was too long but it made zero noise. It had a different problem which was driving it smoothly in 1st to 2nd so vs the 1LE the 1LE makes noise at times but is very precise.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
It really depends

First off don't depress clutch all the way. I found that experimenting with seat position(how much you extend your clutch leg) makes a difference. Compromise between comfort and leg extension for clutch. I found that moving the seat back as much as possible so that you can't or barely reach the floor helps. That way you will not be able to depress clutch in all the way. This car's clutch engages closer to the top of travel than most, so if you move the leg forward less because you can't it automatically helps your shifting.

Of course and you all know this, shifting with another person in the car often makes you want to shift smoother. The above suggestion still applies but you will find it easier to slip the clutch and match engine RPMS with less clutch travel available.

So I have three shifting methods:

1-By myself joy riding, and I want to feel shifts. Use above, move foot faster through upper part of travel, don't worry much about rpm matching (take foot off gas less.
2-Shifting with wife in car. Again using the above seating position move foot slower through upper travel match rpms and slip clutch for shifts that are barely felt.
3-Racing: Hell, you didn't need me to tell you how do drive a manual before, so just do what you always do.

Seriously: experimenting with seat position including how straight the back of seat is and how the bottom of seat is tilted can affect your clutch foot and how it moves throughout travel and its sensitivity to the feel.
Damn, I wish Camaro had adjustable pedals.

Just my 5.5 cents

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
shaggy2002

I appreciate all the feedback. Yes with my wife in the car when I accelerated fast she didn't like the jerkiness. However I am smooth just accelerating slowly. I tried the not fully push in the clutch technique while rolling shifts and that worked good. It has been 12-13 years, but it was no where near the same in a sentra or civic. My 62 bug has a 1600 lb clutch and that is all the way down shift and release. There is no push in a little bit to shift it. It is in or out and no in between. Thanks for the compliment wild cherry!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Let off the clutch slower.... try this. Start the car and take off in first WITHOUT giving it any gas.... try that a few times. You'll find you car's sweet spot. Congratz on the new ride!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
shaggy2002

Thanks tram2!