Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Anyone want to get rid of their stock ZL1 airbox?

There is no classified section that's ZL1 specific so I thought I'd put this here to see if anyone wants to get rid of their stock ZL1 airbox (w/ the scoop(s)/snorkle(s))? Don't need the tube. Shoot me a PM if you've got one you'd be willing to part with.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
TUCSONZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1-#132
Yes-make me a offer.
TUCSONZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONZL1 View Post
Yes-make me a offer.
They are like $385.00 from chevy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
They are like $385.00 from chevy
Odds are I won't be picking one up then LOL... SS box is about $90 from my dealer, see people selling them on here for $40-50 or even giving them away... Couldn't find part number, or price info on the ZL1 box. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Would someone be kind enough to post some good pics' of the OEM air box, please?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Would someone be kind enough to post some good pics' of the OEM air box, please?
I have these:

You can see there is a second scoop/snorkle hole... I doubt it would really make that much of a difference in flow, or if there is another opening for fresh air in the core support for it or not?

Stock SS airbox.

I really just wanted a ZL1 box to test it out on my flowbench.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I have these:

You can see there is a second scoop/snorkle hole... I doubt it would really make that much of a difference in flow, or if there is another opening for fresh air in the core support for it or not?

Stock SS airbox.

I really just wanted a ZL1 box to test it out on my flowbench.
Supposedly, GM gained the extra 24hp over the CTS-V through tinkering with the intake/airbox. Judging by the photo, there isn't much difference between the LS3 & ZL1 airbox (other than the 2nd small snorkle). On the other hand, the air filters are def different. Like mentioned in my ZL1 air filter thread, it doesnt look like you can use a ZL1 airbox with the stock LS3 intake piping (different lids). I'm still interested in your findings if you do test this out.
1LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEE View Post
Supposedly, GM gained the extra 24hp over the CTS-V through tinkering with the intake/airbox. Judging by the photo, there isn't much difference between the LS3 & ZL1 airbox (other than the 2nd small snorkle). On the other hand, the air filters are def different. Like mentioned in my ZL1 air filter thread, it doesnt look like you can use a ZL1 airbox with the stock LS3 intake piping (different lids). I'm still interested in your findings if you do test this out.
I don't know if anything else was changed on the inside of the box, aside from the "high flow" filter.

From looking at the diagrams, I suspect the ZL1 box lid would *fit* the SS box, however like you said, the ZL1 lid screws down, where is the SS box lid snaps on... I think a person with a little gumption could find a way to make the ZL1 lid work on the SS box, of course, IF there were any substancial gains to be had from doing so, otherwise it's just beating a dead horse.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The tinkering was a second opening for the airbox, a redesigned intercooler, and better upper plenum The pleats in the filter are also different for more flow.

Thanks for the illustrations!!! It would still be cool to see some pics'. After seeing this, I'm not surprised there are improvements that can be made.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
1LEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I don't know if anything else was changed on the inside of the box, aside from the "high flow" filter.

From looking at the diagrams, I suspect the ZL1 box lid would *fit* the SS box, however like you said, the ZL1 lid screws down, where is the SS box lid snaps on... I think a person with a little gumption could find a way to make the ZL1 lid work on the SS box, of course, IF there were any substancial gains to be had from doing so, otherwise it's just beating a dead horse.
I think when I purchase my 1LE I'm going to throw in a ZL1 air filter, and log my results. A higher flowing filter should help a bit regardless of the assumptions that it won't. I'm not looking for huge gains, and that's why I'm sticking with the stock setup instead of purchasing an aftermarket intake.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
1LEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
The tinkering was a second opening for the airbox, a redesigned intercooler, and better upper plenum The pleats in the filter are also different for more flow.

Thanks for the illustrations!!! It would still be cool to see some pics'. After seeing this, I'm not surprised there are improvements that can be made.
Thanks for the added info.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
see below. I replaced it with a RotoFab CAI - much better looking
Attached Images

Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEE View Post
i thought the extra HP came from the larger intercooler on top of the supercharger than the caddy has
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
1LEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
i thought the extra HP came from the larger intercooler on top of the supercharger than the caddy has
Yep, that and the intake sytem (airbox, inlet duct, plenum).

The CTS-V's box and plenum is a little more restrictive.