Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #71
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
That being said, it is much easier to deal with now that I know that I can just hit the "cancel" button on the cruise control/windshield wiper control arm whenever I see it pop-up on the dic.
Really? I'll have to try this.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #72
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I'm glad my car doesn't have hill assist. It sounds like it would annoy me.
Off topic....I can't believe how many people use the e-brake method. To me, this is a dumb way to hold your car on a hill.
The best method is to hold the brake like normal on a hill. While holding the brake, slowly release the clutch until you feel a slight load on the engine. You should see a slight drop on the tach too. Now you can release the brake because the engine load will keep the car from rolling backwards. All you have to do now is leave normally.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #73
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
we don't have much in the way of hills here in Florida BUT recently I had the misfortune to experience that *hill start assist* ( I think - ) on a upward incline/offramp from the interstate ( stoplight )

my windows were down and that putrid burning odor from this stupid feature was far and away the most unpleasant experience I have had with my new 1LE

memo to chevy: the emergency brake is a hill stop assist
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #74
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I hate it..... I wish they had give a way to disable it. I will say this. I know it clicks off after about 3 seconds. So I have learned to time the light changes and car movement to coincide with it turning itself off. It scared me to death the first time I drove my car and went to hold the car on the hill. I though I had broke something. lol
Coop1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #75
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop1701 View Post
I hate it..... I wish they had give a way to disable it. I will say this. I know it clicks off after about 3 seconds. So I have learned to time the light changes and car movement to coincide with it turning itself off. It scared me to death the first time I drove my car and went to hold the car on the hill. I though I had broke something. lol
Just don't push the clutch all the way down, then it won't engage. If you need it, then push clutch all the way. Works great.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #76
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Replace your car's yaw sensor with the yaw sensor part number for a 2014 SS with automatic transmission (AT cars do not have HSA). This work-around is detailed in at least one Camaro5.com thread.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #77
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
I hate it for the reasons already stated, it is not consistent so I can't count on it (every day I come to a stop on an incline before pulling out of work and it comes on maybe 30% of the time) and it "holds" the car for seconds after you release the brake and step on the gas instead of releasing immediately.

That being said, it is much easier to deal with now that I know that I can just hit the "cancel" button on the cruise control/windshield wiper control arm whenever I see it pop-up on the dic.
Pressing the button on the end of the directional stalk only makes the message go away, it doesn't actually turn off HSA. Which means it is all in your head and if you just drive normally it won't bother you.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #78
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
if you just drive normally it won't bother you.
I agree. I do not mean to be rude, but I know this is going to come off that way. Do I think that Hill Start Assist should be an option that can be turned off...yes I do, but it isn't. That being said, I am concerned with anyones driving skill set that can not work with this feature. It really is not any where near the big deal it is made out to be here. In the worst case scenario, if you feel it engage, just wait it out, and don't burn the clutch up while its there. It is incredibly obvious that it has engaged. Just my $.02.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #79
RockerBox

Drives: 2010 Silverado. Stock height now
Anyone have a link for swapping out the yaw sensor? The search comes up with nothing.
RockerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #80
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
That being said, I am concerned with anyones driving skill set that can not work with this feature. It really is not any where near the big deal it is made out to be here. In the worst case scenario, if you feel it engage, just wait it out, and don't burn the clutch up while its there. It is incredibly obvious that it has engaged. Just my $.02.
I understand what you're saying. But there's a difference between "can not" and "should not have to".

I am more concerned with having the decision whether to use it or not taken away and potentially force people to suddenly drive their MT cars differently than they always have driven them (50+ years in my own case). In a way, it's like having no choice but to accept that all future bicycles regardless of wheel size when purchased new must come equipped like this.

Norm
Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #81
hzl6cm

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS 6-speed manual
I don't get what the big deal is with having it. I've driven manual transmission cars for 40 years now and this is the first car that I have had with hill start assist. I've never had a problems stalling the car with it, it seems to release easily with a gentle pop. Normally I will use my emergency brake on any steeper hills with the Camaro and any other car with the e-brake handle on the console, which seems to disable the HSA since it never comes on then. My wife likes HSA and thinks that it is a great idea since she has never mastered the coordination required to release the e-brake just as the clutch is released.
1970 Corvette Convertible, 350 Hp 350, 4-speed
hzl6cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #82
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerBox View Post
Anyone have a link for swapping out the yaw sensor? The search comes up with nothing.
Try this one. Sometimes giving the search feature too much information just gets in its way.

Norm
Old 12-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #83
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I understand what you're saying. But there's a difference between "can not" and "should not have to".

I am more concerned with having the decision whether to use it or not taken away and potentially force people to suddenly drive their MT cars differently than they always have driven them (50+ years in my own case). In a way, it's like having no choice but to accept that all future bicycles regardless of wheel size when purchased new must come equipped like this.

Norm
And its why I said I think it should be an option, possibly selected in the DIC. It should not be mandatory...I agree. I'm not quite as old as you, but far from a spring chicken myself!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #84
GMfan454

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6spd manual
I have a M6 SS and I dont believe I have that. I can see where a new manual driver would like it but once you get use to it, probably not needed.
GMfan454 is offline   Reply With Quote