Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
kuehjo

Drives: 88 IROC, 68 Firebird, 04 Escal
New member, chiming in. (I hope I don't offend anyone with an opinionated first post!)

I have to agree with diarmadhi on pricing guesses. Besides - they're just guesses, in any case. We would ALL love to own a 400 hp car for under 30K, but I just don't think I see it happening. I think that the pony has ALWAYS been the Camaro competition, and to expect much different from GM at this point is wishful thinking - so expect the Mustang in it's various trim levels to largely st the tone for what you can expect to be paying. Wishful thinking, btw, is perfectly fine. Just don't be surprised to find diarmadhi's not far from the mark. I equally don't think they're going to offer the high end car as a significant competitor to the basic Corvette - that has ALWAYS been GM's corporate favorite child, and it's not likely to change either. If they offer a Camaro that approaches Corvette performance, expect premium pricing to keep munbers to a minimum, and some other Corvette bling to keep those guys happy that theirs is still the cream of the crop.

I'm very fortunate - I make enough money that i COULD buy a Vette - but I love the Camaro, and God bless GM for finally doing one right. The trailer for Transformers for me was just a SPECTACULAR ad for the Camaro - it can't come out soon enough. Now I have to go watch the movie just to see the car!!! (Ahh heck - my nine year old would have made me go anyways...)

So. I want the supercharged version, convertible, yellow with black stripes, 6-speed short-throw shifter with manual transmission. 3.42 gears in the rear. Guess I ought to go cast some ballots...

BTW - will these be collectible? Maybe. But I'm certainly not gonna go put a 40K car in the garage HOPING for a 400% 30 year increase in value.

By the same token - I appreciate what some of you guys have noted as your price limits, and I COMPLETELY hear where you're coming from - i sure didn't grow up rich. I've got an 88 IROC with a 350 TPI in it that I bought a few years ago and have been slowly nursing back to health. The problem with buying a top-end PERFORMANCE oriented car is that someone else will beat the p*ss out of it before they put that "For Sale" sign in the window.

Looking forward to following the release of this potentially spectacular car with you all!!

Jonathan

kuehjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #16
cantseeme
fireman

Drives: 2002 monte carlo SS
just think about it base v6 20's base v8 mid to high 20's v8 ss 30's to mid 30's and finaly v8 ss supercharger somwhere in the 40's it only makes since. I would guess a special addition somwhere after a year or two in 2010 or 2011.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantseeme View Post
just think about it base v6 20's base v8 mid to high 20's v8 ss 30's to mid 30's and finaly v8 ss supercharger somwhere in the 40's it only makes since. I would guess a special addition somwhere after a year or two in 2010 or 2011.
No, there is no way that the Camaro will EVER be priced in the 40's, it's way to close to the Vette...
You see, Ford has no "Corvette"...the GT is too expensive(so to speak). So the GT500 is the in place of a Vette.
The Camaro will NOT be priced that high - it would be a stupid choice on GM's part. Maybe a limited production - very special edition one...? But not your Camaros from V6 to Z28 SS (or Top Dog). Under 34,000 all of them....
Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #18
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Dragon Im sure theres gonna be camaro in the low 40s range.. the vette is a completely different monster than the mustang as you have pointed out and for many a vette is too impractical (no trunk, no backseat, too much power). There are people out there that will buy a high hp 4 seater (look at beamers and the like), and want the styling plus USA brand. Yes those of us here would end up getting a vette instead .. but thats all the better for GM. That being said, you or I wont be paying that much or likely won't even get a shot at one unless we win an ebay bid or pay markups for the special edition..

basicaly yea it wont be the ss/z28/base regular production models, but there will be one as a special edition at some point and time (oh and no I don't think it will get the ls7, most likely a blown ls2 see thread Link)
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No, there is no way that the Camaro will EVER be priced in the 40's, it's way to close to the Vette...
You see, Ford has no "Corvette"...the GT is too expensive(so to speak). So the GT500 is the in place of a Vette.
The Camaro will NOT be priced that high - it would be a stupid choice on GM's part. Maybe a limited production - very special edition one...? But not your Camaros from V6 to Z28 SS (or Top Dog). Under 34,000 all of them....
I'm with Dragon on this one, guys. The only difference is this...there will be a 40+ Camaro, but it will be built by GMMG and will be a special edition (just like they have done before being sold by Tom Henry, Dick Herrell, Berger, etc.). But, I feel that the Camaros built by GM and sold in dealers won't push past the $40K mark.

I can see the GT500 being priced that high to compare with the Corvette...becuase they don't have any other muscle cars in that price range that could compete.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #20
kuehjo

With the BASE price of the 2007 Corvette at $44,000 in 2007, I think a TOP model Camaro at $40-$42 in 2008 is a VERY real possibility. Let's see - we'll need to add at least ONE year of inflation, if not two (depending on when the car is actually released) which will take the base Corvette price up to $45,320 or 46,680. This is the BASE model, and prior to any incentives (or yeah - like when do THOSE apply to a new Corvette?) delivery charges, or dealer markups. And of course, no options.

So I can easily see see a fully optioned Camaro at just under that.

In 2004 I bought an Escalade EXT, but priced out the Avalanche with the full options package before i made my choice. Even with ALL the options, the Avalanche is NOT the Escalade, and you'd cry to see how close the price for a fully optioned Avalanche versus a base Escalade were. As I remember it ended up only being some $3 or $4k difference (sorry - it was three years ago, and I haven't regretted my decision at all).

I'm not saying that I WANT the car to be priced there, and I would LOVE to think that we might get it for $36 or so, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I also believe that it is not likely to be the first model released, and will likely be sold in limited numbers when it is released. I also hate to think what the dealer markup might be like... Ouch!!

But in the meantime, it IS fun to speculate...

Old 06-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

A decently-optioned Z28 SS in 2002, the last model year and top dog Camaro MSRP'd around 26,000. That was 325 or so Horses. Apply inflation, and the proper Hp rises espected over the years of hiatus, and you get the 5th gen top dog for around 30,000, again decently optioned...
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #22
kuehjo

I really hope you're right. Truly!!

:-)

Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #23
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
If the car passes 40k then bad news for me, I am not going into the 4 figure mark on a camaro. Sorry GM :(

It never makes sense to me, not even in the mustang thing. You can buy a Cobra for around 46k and get 500HP or buy a GT for 26k and procharge it for 6k and get 500hp for around 32-35k.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #24
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Guys guys guys, we are talking the top end 500+ hp version.. a limited quantity vehicle.. NOT the top dog reg production model(whatever they call it).. the mustang GT equivalent wont pass 35k.. becuase it has to be competitive with it. A loaded Mustang (non- limited production, special edition, whatever) will run you low 30's loaded with leather and such..

Again I go back to my statement eariler in the thread.. If you can afford what you want in a mustang right now you will be able to afford the camaro equivilent.

Edit - Realize also that the mustang gt is scheduled to get a boost to 350 HP in 09 Model Year, and GM has stated it will beat the mustang at the same trim levels.
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Edit - Realize also that the mustang gt is scheduled to get a boost to 350 HP in 09 Model Year, and GM has stated it will beat the mustang at the same trim levels.
Absolutely! More Hp, and beauty for the same price!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #26
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
A decently-optioned Z28 SS in 2002, the last model year and top dog Camaro MSRP'd around 26,000.
That just doesn't sound right to me. Not that I don't believe you.

But my V6 2002 Camaro loaded (minus leather) MSRP'd for approx. $26,000 I remember. Though I only actually paid just over $20,000.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
That just doesn't sound right to me. Not that I don't believe you.

But my V6 2002 Camaro loaded (minus leather) MSRP'd for approx. $26,000 I remember. Though I only actually paid just over $20,000.
I hate to say it, but that price isn't right. First, the Z28 and SS differ. SS model is a 3K+ option in and of itself over the Z28. My 02 Z28 cost me 23K. But, that was 2K off and $200 over cost. So, sticker was something like $26+ already. Now, add the SS option and the first thing you need to do is tack on a 3K option....29K for an SS. Add a few more SS options you can't get on a Z28 and you are well into the 30K range.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #28
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
I'd say top of the line camaro will be competitive with the GT500... or should i say kick it's ass. just to make sure no mustang has anything on any a camaro.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote