Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
what is going to make this car a success is going to be the v-6's and (dare I say it) the possible turbo i-4.

they can call it whatever they want, its a Camaro regardless, its a vicious little animal that eats mustangs.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
MarkLS2
Administrator

Drives: 2009 Camaro
GM is really on its game and I wouldn't worry too much about how the car is marketed and all that stuff. As long as you are happy with the version you get for yourself then all is good
Old 03-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5FTW View Post
Hey guys. I've been following the site for quite some time and you guys really know your stuff. I thank you all for keeping the rest of the following up to date. But this morning i stumbled across this on autoblog. Just wondering what you guys thought. I could have misinterpreted what he's saying. I just hope everyone that wants a V-8 will be able to get one. Sorry if this is a repost.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/22/m...-a-muscle-car/
Welcome to the site and thanks for keeping up with the latest info! Thread merged as someone just beat ya to it, but again, thanks for watching out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Firebird View Post
GM clearly wont be able to sell enough Camaros if they position it as a Gas Guzzling "Muscle Car". So they are going to sell it as a performance coupe.

Really who cares what they decide to market it as just as long as we get a 400+ Horsepower V8 at a reasonable price...
X 1,000,000

And welcome to the site to you too!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #18
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
People who know and want the Camaro know what the car is all about. It's the press and the treehuggers that GM is talking to, well about it not being a muscle car. The V6 (turbo 4 too if they produce it) will sell the most because of its price. I know I see a lot more V6 Mustangs and Chargers than V8 models. It will perform well too even if it's only 260hp. That's only 15 less hp than the 93 Camaro had with a 5.7 V8, and that's with the new SAE rating.

I just hope GM does its homework on safety. No new car from a major manufacturer should get anything less than a top score in all safety tests. I'll be looking at the ratings for this and the G8.
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
People who know and want the Camaro know what the car is all about. It's the press and the treehuggers that GM is talking to, well about it not being a muscle car. .
Some of you guys have got to dump the V6 Stang mentality, it will NOT be the same kind of V6 "pony" car. It will actually be a more than decent performance car and not some Budget rent-a-car. And who are the tree huggers? I'm certainly not and I'm strongly considering the V6 because I don't want to make best friends with the clerk at my local gas station, and I know I'm not getting just any ol' V6 but a V6 that was especially developed for a Caddy (for crying out loud). And have you guys heard the 3.6 DI V6 in the CTS??? It sounds pretty darn decent to me.

Last edited by Scotsman; 03-22-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
munkee drummer

Drives: 2010 convertible
Hey if having v-6's and i-4 turbo helps them sell enough to keep the car on the lot and at the same time being able to sell a v-8 to anyone wanting it then I'm all for it. I do think the author was kinda jabbing at GM about the green sh!t. I think all the greenhouse/green cars, and carbon credits are anyway but I dont want to get that going again.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #21
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
How it is marketed has little bearing on what the car really is. If they want to market it as fuel efficient and stylish, great. It won't change the fact that it will be available with a powerful V8. This is nothing to get worked up over. The V6 has ALWAYS been the volume seller. We've long expected the 5th gen would be the same way. As long as the V8 doesn't become too exclusive, I'm not bothered one bit.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
How it is marketed has little bearing on what the car really is. If they want to market it as fuel efficient and stylish, great. It won't change the fact that it will be available with a powerful V8. This is nothing to get worked up over. The V6 has ALWAYS been the volume seller. We've long expected the 5th gen would be the same way. As long as the V8 doesn't become too exclusive, I'm not bothered one bit.
What really excites me, is that although this is true: this will be unlike ANY V6 Camaro...ever. People won't have to 'settle' for a V6 Camaro this time around.

Judging from what we've heard from Lutz, Scott, and Ed....I mean, Hell, this 6'er should put many cars to bed. Maybe not in the straight - but in every other way.

I'm seriously considering a V6 Camaro now. I hadn't thought I would...but it's definitely not on my "stay away from" list anymore. (Still getting the V8.)
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
Bart

Drives: 1997 Trans Am
Also consider how many times we have talked about how poorly the last generation was marketed and blamed that for the poor sales. I'm glad to see that they are already looking at this before the car hits the market. Like its been said before, the V-6 and I-4 models make the beefy V-8 options possible.
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
What really excites me, is that although this is true: this will be unlike ANY V6 Camaro...ever. People won't have to 'settle' for a V6 Camaro this time around.

Judging from what we've heard from Lutz, Scott, and Ed....I mean, Hell, this 6'er should put many cars to bed. Maybe not in the straight - but in every other way.

I'm seriously considering a V6 Camaro now. I hadn't thought I would...but it's definitely not on my "stay away from" list anymore. (Still getting the V8.)
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #25
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Fbodfather cleared up the madness at CamaroZ28.com with these words:

Quote:
Ok -- Calm down.......

..........if it has a big honkin' V8 that gets good gas mileage -- and blows every other car in its class away on the drag strip -- and it is best-in-class on a road course........

..............do you REALLY care how we market it? (I keep getting emails talking about commercials with wall -to - wall burnouts -- so you want us to preach to the choir????)

The bottom line is that we have to get people to consider a Camaro that may have never considered one before. (...unfortunately there IS some baggage that goes with Camaro/Mustang/Challenger...and that baggage isn't always good......)

There is a lot at stake with this car -- a LOT at stake.

Please -- calm down -- please don't jump to conclusions every time someone makes a statement that's taken out of context -- or every time a photo appears with something amiss.......

Keep the faith I will.

Last edited by Scotsman; 03-22-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #26
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The man speaks the truth. Marketing it as a pure tire shredding drag machine would only appeal to those looking at it anyway. The marketing has to reach the people who want a nice commuter car, a good road racer/auto-crosser, or just a stylish ride. GM can take care of that. We'll take care of the wall-to-wall burnouts!
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #27
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
OMFG!!!!!! i'm almost wetting my pants here!!!! i want it right now damn it!!!! the way everyone is comming around to the V6 camaro is exciting. that id definately what i'm going with. mated to a sweet manual tranny will make this the best V6 pony car/ any V6 on the market. what was said about the 350Z before is totally on point. if GM can take the Z off of its pedistal with the Camaro V6 and still get 22 average MPG expect these babys to fly off the lot!!! i can't wait i'm almost here i'm so excited!!! sorry for the off topic, but this is a gret way to market the camaro... especially the V6 camaro... go to the track with a full tank beat it to death and still have enough left for the rest of the week. that would be sick. if it is about 22k (+/- 2K) i'm getting one!
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #28
50SBLOW
Ex Mustang Owner

Drives: 88 Z28, 05 Durango
It is going to be awesome to see the magazine comparos between the v6 5th Gen, the 350z and maybe even the g35 just a few pages away from the v8 5th Gen, Mustang and Challenger comparo. If what Chevy says is true, it will dominate both classes.