Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Dealer tweaked alignment, but wants it back?

My '12 Camaro 2LT was pulling slightly to the left when the steering wheel was straight, even when riding on a road that was slightly higher in the center than on the sides, as typically with many roads. The car only has 2400 miles. So the dealer took it in under warranty. GM will do an alignment under warranty up until 7,000mi I was told. So they found the rear was out slightly and adjusted it. However, they want it back for another technician to take a look at it (he wasn't in on Saturday) because the alignment tech thought it was still pulling when slight bumps were encountered. This is that I interpreted from my conversation with the service manager. I know, I should have spoken directly to the alignment tech. What troubles me is that the service management said something about his alignment tech that maybe he was just a little jittery today. Yes, I'm confused as well. LOL

So I just wanted to run this situation by our Camaro5 members before I decide to let them have it back. I will be able to drive it later on to see how the alignment is now. Yesterday when I picked it up, it was very windy.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
My '12 Camaro 2LT was pulling slightly to the left when the steering wheel was straight, even when riding on a road that was slightly higher in the center than on the sides, as typically with many roads. The car only has 2400 miles. So the dealer took it in under warranty. GM will do an alignment under warranty up until 7,000mi I was told. So they found the rear was out slightly and adjusted it. However, they want it back for another technician to take a look at it (he wasn't in on Saturday) because the alignment tech thought it was still pulling when slight bumps were encountered. This is that I interpreted from my conversation with the service manager. I know, I should have spoken directly to the alignment tech. What troubles me is that the service management said something about his alignment tech that maybe he was just a little jittery today. Yes, I'm confused as well. LOL

So I just wanted to run this situation by our Camaro5 members before I decide to let them have it back. I will be able to drive it later on to see how the alignment is now. Yesterday when I picked it up, it was very windy.
Any chance you can post your alignment sheet from Saturday?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Silent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Any chance you can post your alignment sheet from Saturday?
They did not have me sign or give me any paperwork since they considered that the job was not complete.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
JusticePete

Take it back and make certain you get a before and after wheel alignment print out. We'll be able to speak to the issue with a good degree of accuracy at that time.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
JusticePete

Bump for an update.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Sounds like dealerspeak for "We don't have anybody here on Sat that really knows how to use this thing."

Take it back for the 'Monday thru Friday guy' to make it right, and take Pete's Street/Performance alignment figures for him to go by!

I did mine and it really makes a difference.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Silent...

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I asked again about what they perceive the issue is. I was told that the alignment tech just thought that something with the suspension may need a look over because he thought is was veering off too much on small bumps/imperfections in the road. I drove it last night on a good highway 50-70 mph ranges and it felt good and steady, tracked straight w/ what I believe is reasonable corrections for the crown of the road whether it be the left or right of a 4 lane highway.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Maybe the tech thought he may have left something loose or missed something after it was out the door ,and they didn't want to alarm you to that fact. So, they made up some other BS story.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I asked again about what they perceive the issue is. I was told that the alignment tech just thought that something with the suspension may need a look over because he thought is was veering off too much on small bumps/imperfections in the road. I drove it last night on a good highway 50-70 mph ranges and it felt good and steady, tracked straight w/ what I believe is reasonable corrections for the crown of the road whether it be the left or right of a 4 lane highway.
Don't forget to get and post the before and after alignment specs.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Silent...

Spec Sheet
Attached Images
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (35.8 KB, 78 views)

Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Spec Sheet
Does your car feel any different? Better? Worse? The same?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Silent...

I drove it one time after the Saturday alighment, that was Tuesday evening, and it felt good and tracked straight. On Wednesday, the suspension tech basically just checked torques etc on the suspension and underbody and all was ok.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
JusticePete

The specs on your alignment sheet are all within the GM specs. At Pedders we would consider your alignment sloppy. There is a much better driving car hiding behind your green range close enough for government work close enough alignment . If you are willing to pay for an alignment I would say it would be worth every dollar spent. This is how I think your Camaro should be aligned.

Front Caster: No adjustment from the factory
Front Camber: -.75
Front Toe: ZERO
Rear Camber: ZERO
Rear Toe: IN .10

Your steering will be more on center and feel more precise. We will have reduced some of the factory understeer and have a Camaro that drives as good as yours looks.