Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #99
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
First: Thanks KMK454 for all the old 1LE/players challenge ads, they are great.

Second: There is a balance between appearance and performance for most new car buyers. I ordered a white 1LE partly because of how I think it will look with the black wheels, hood wrap, etc. If it had a body-color hood, I would still buy it. If it had a painted matte- black hood, I would still buy it. If the hood came with a pink-flower print, I would still buy it (though this crosses a line, I would have it repainted).

The reason: I believe this car represents the best value for the money for a dual purpose track/street Camaro. I would have it on the track every day if time/money allowed, but it doesn't and so I hope to make 6 or so track days/autocrosses per year, maybe a drag race or two and also enjoy it on the street. So, yes, it will get more street miles (by a lot), but I am buying it (over other options) solely for its track capabilities, not what it looks like.

Others may have different priorities, but I think this is what a few posters here are trying to get at.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #100
MarkSS

Oh, and be prepared for complaining about tire life and expense when these hit the streets (eventually).
Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #101
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
Oh, and be prepared for complaining about tire life and expense when these hit the streets (eventually).
Are there tires that will last longer that can be fit on those wheels when the car is doing more street time than track time?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #102
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
I figure this would be the thread to post this question....

Is there anyone on here experienced with vinyl wrap??

Hopefully, the vinyl wrap on the 1LE hood is UV resistant.

Can you put spritz wax on it?

When I spritz wax my current car, I always spray the black molding/trim, and it has kept it looking new for the 5 years I've owned it.
1LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #103
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEE View Post
I figure this would be the thread to post this question....

Is there anyone on here experienced with vinyl wrap??

Hopefully, the vinyl wrap on the 1LE hood is UV resistant.

Can you put spritz wax on it?

When I spritz wax my current car, I always spray the black molding/trim, and it has kept it looking new for the 5 years I've owned it.
Probably should start another thread for this?
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #104
MarkSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Are there tires that will last longer that can be fit on those wheels when the car is doing more street time than track time?
There are, but the factory tires may not make it to 15000 miles. I am curious if there are any ZL1 owners approaching that kind of mileage yet.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #105
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
No, the 5th gen isn't... and neither was the 3rd gen 1LE, but the 1LE and R7U package was made by GM to be a factory-ready track car for the Player's Challenge. Of course, 1LE triggered an AC delete on the 3rd gens. Also, you had to put a cage in and some other safety features before you could hit the track. Not all R7U Player's Challenge cars were 1LE, but after 1988, most had it because it was the "track ready" setup from GM... basically a Z28 with AC delete, larger front brakes, oil cooler, and either the LB9 305 or the L98 350 with a T5 or A4. There were a few more minor things but those are the highlights.

Beautiful:

Note the SUNOCO on the fender:

Also SUNOCO on the fender:

Great post. Reminds me of my days as a Marshall at Mosport and the debt a friend and I racked up trying to run in the "cheap" Honda Michelin Series. We dreamed about working our way up into a Players car.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote