Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Bone Stock

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
Funny thing at the recycling center today...

In Bergen County, NJ...there is a hazard waste collection day usually once a month at Bergen Community College. It's your chance to bring cans of paint, propane tanks, batteries and the like. I've never been there before, but I had been planning on it to do my part in proper recycling.

Since my load was only 6 paint cans, I decided to take the ZL1. Why not? It's a beautiful day and it should be a quick dropoff. Little did I know...

When I followed the signs into the college, I was greeted by someone along the way who asked me the town I lived in (since this was for Bergen County people only). He pointed me forward and commented how nice the ZL1 was. Thanks, I said...and proceeded forward.

...to the next stop...where I met another person, who handed me a ticket, pointed me towards another line...commented what a nice car it was...and away I went.

There I sat...for about 15 minutes...crawling along...surrounded by Toyota Prius (front, back and the side)...I got a chance to play with the radio, Bluetooth and Nav while I waited.

I see a woman working her way down our lane, collecting tickets. She's actually pretty far from the front of the line...and apparently, came all the way back to me (about 15 cars back). She enthusiastically tells me that the Camaro is her favorite car...that she was born the year that the first Camaro was sold, and she wants to order one. We talk about the ZL1 and it's attributes and she says she's probably going to look at a 2014 SS. She steps back to snap a photo of the car with her phone.

FINALLY...I get to the area to get rid of the paint. However, instead of the workers grabbing the cans, they ask me to pop the trunk and hand the cans out because they don't want to scratch the car (now with 400 miles on it). There, 3-4 more of the workers comment with positive vibes. Even one person knows what a ZL1 is.

Never in the 26 years of car ownership has a car like this gotten the attention I have been getting. Does everybody have the same kind of reponse?
Bone Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Brownster

Drives: 1966 GTO Convertible/ZL1 Vert
No.Absolutly not!
The people in my area have no clue.
And that is fine with me.
Brownster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
I get that type of response often even though I do not have a ZL1, I have a HWSE 2SS. People take pictures of it all the time, want to sit in it, etc. The kids really like it because they can not believe that they are starting at a full size Hot Wheels!
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownster View Post
No.Absolutly not!
The people in my area have no clue.
And that is fine with me.
Same here. I really do not think people where I live even know what a ZL1 is. They just think it is another camaro! OK by me to!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stock View Post
In Bergen County, NJ...there is a hazard waste collection day usually once a month at Bergen Community College. It's your chance to bring cans of paint, propane tanks, batteries and the like. I've never been there before, but I had been planning on it to do my part in proper recycling.

Since my load was only 6 paint cans, I decided to take the ZL1. Why not? It's a beautiful day and it should be a quick dropoff. Little did I know...

When I followed the signs into the college, I was greeted by someone along the way who asked me the town I lived in (since this was for Bergen County people only). He pointed me forward and commented how nice the ZL1 was. Thanks, I said...and proceeded forward.

...to the next stop...where I met another person, who handed me a ticket, pointed me towards another line...commented what a nice car it was...and away I went.

There I sat...for about 15 minutes...crawling along...surrounded by Toyota Prius (front, back and the side)...I got a chance to play with the radio, Bluetooth and Nav while I waited.

I see a woman working her way down our lane, collecting tickets. She's actually pretty far from the front of the line...and apparently, came all the way back to me (about 15 cars back). She enthusiastically tells me that the Camaro is her favorite car...that she was born the year that the first Camaro was sold, and she wants to order one. We talk about the ZL1 and it's attributes and she says she's probably going to look at a 2014 SS. She steps back to snap a photo of the car with her phone.

FINALLY...I get to the area to get rid of the paint. However, instead of the workers grabbing the cans, they ask me to pop the trunk and hand the cans out because they don't want to scratch the car (now with 400 miles on it). There, 3-4 more of the workers comment with positive vibes. Even one person knows what a ZL1 is.

Never in the 26 years of car ownership has a car like this gotten the attention I have been getting. Does everybody have the same kind of reponse?

Hey Bone Stock,

I started a thread about "Attention getting stories with your ZL1". There are quite a few interesting stories in that thread.
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
qniknam
Account Suspended

Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Nobody has any idea what this is around where I live, until they try to race it and they lost by 3 car lengths
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
Around Houston the ZL1 definitely catches peoples' attention. Makes my daily commute a bit more interesting! For example, I was sitting in the traffic on the Sam Houston toll road heading home just last Friday, and I notice in the rear view mirror a big wrecker working his way through the traffic, running up the shoulders, jumping across into the on-ramps, etc. Finally, as he's getting close, he cuts across traffic and pulls in beside me, honks his horn and motions at me to roll the window down. I was thinking something must be wrong, but he was just wanting to tell me he loved my car, gave me a thumbs-up, and headed on his way.
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
I live in Suburban Detroit -- now, people in Suburban Detroit don't get all excited about most cars and trucks - I mean - a substantial amount of the population works in the industry-- either for an OEM or a supplier......not to mention that we tend to see the 'latest and greatest' long before the rest of the country..........Captive Test Fleets and such............

...Any Camaro in this area seems to get undue attention -
regardless of the model I'm driving, I get a lot of positive comments.
(...I also get a number of people who want to 'screw around' and try to get me to race on the streets - something that I won't do and constantly tell people NOT to do...)

The ZL1 takes peoples' interest to the next level. The ZL1s I've driven with painted wheels tend to get comments from muscle-car lovers --
......whereas the ones with the polished wheels tend to get more comments from luxury car owners - along with muscle-car lovers.

I must share a story:

Last summer (2012) I was in Pittsburgh on vacation -
--and I parked "Mr. Bond" -- a Black ZL1 Convert with polished wheels -- in a parking lot one evening at a shopping center....(I always park far away from the store to avoid damages)

--- I was just getting back into the car and was putting the top down when a Lexus Hybrid pulled in. The guy was middle-aged and the gal was just smokin' hot.

She turns to him as they walk past and says to him something along the lines of

"wow...what a beautiful car...." --

...to which he responds along the lines of...

"...big deal - it's probably a gas hog..."

..to which she retorted...

"Oh - GROW A PAIR......."

...........I know he heard me burst out laughing........
Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1

She said that because she had his in her purse! Thanks for sharing that Scott.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Everybody loves Camaros, look at all the non Camaro owners that hang on a Camaro forum, best cars ever
Old 10-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
Dirtyharry427

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I have the same thing happen to me all the time and it amazes me how many people know what a ZL1 is especially the young kids and teenagers.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
I couldn't even think about taking my Z to our recycling centers down here. they are a mess and you are sure to pick up at least 1 nail or screw in each tire
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stock View Post

I to to school in BMCC, and I get compliments on the daily. I live in Union city, where in Bergen do you live. Would love to check it out.