Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
autobotaz

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro LS
Barton Shifter Vibration Disappears w/ windows down

Sounds weird I know but it was repeatable several times this morning.

Installed my Barton shifter about two weeks ago and absolutely love it but it does tend to have some vibration feedback, at upper rpms (4k-5k), that I can hear and feel through the stick.

I am 100% sure it is installed correctly and yes the vibration is coming from the shifter as I can feel it and see it also. At least it is translating through the shifter.

Morning temps the last few days have been around 70 degrees here so I had the windows down driving to work. I noticed yesterday that I neither heard nor felt any of the vibrations through my shifter when accelerating hard. On the way home when it was close to 100 degrees I had the windows up and yep there was my shifter vibrating when briskly accelerating.

So this morning had the windows down again and same thing no vibrations. Put the windows up and accelerated hard and there it was again. Immediately put the windows down and accelerated hard, no audible vibration or vibrations felt through the shifter.

Now I would call myself crazy and this a fluke if I couldn't repeat it which I have been able to so far. I am going to test again this afternoon.

Curious to see if any Barton or Hurst owners having vibrations can test this as well.

I am wondering if by opening the windows the lack of pressure in the cabin is dissapating some overall vibrations that just happen to be translating through the shifter. If the tranny was the source of the vibrations, I don't see how the windows would make a difference.

Any ideas???
autobotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I am guessing you have the M6. From what I have heard some of the aftermarket shifters have had vibration issues, might want to check with Barton, and see if they have a quick fix solution for it.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
autobotaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I am guessing you have the M6. From what I have heard some of the aftermarket shifters have had vibration issues, might want to check with Barton, and see if they have a quick fix solution for it.
Yeah I talked with Dave already and he suggested some dynamat on the transmission link where it connects with the shifter.

Its not that bad but the fact that it goes away with the windows down is puzzling.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
lock

Drives: 11 2SS/RS E-Force Supercharged
I wrapped teflon tape on the shifter shaft and a nylon washer on the shift ball jam nut. Removed all my rattles. You will probably always feel it but hearing it can be fixed.

lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
autobotaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock View Post
I wrapped teflon tape on the shifter shaft and a nylon washer on the shift ball jam nut. Removed all my rattles. You will probably always feel it but hearing it can be fixed.
Like I said the weirdest thing was the affect the the windows being down had. There was no noise or vibration from the shifter at all. I just want to know why that would happen.

Mine vibrates even without the shifter ball installed.

Not saying that the teflon or washer wouldn't help though.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Check the dust boot under the shift. If is not attached correctly it can give the effect of a shaking shifter.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
autobotaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
Check the dust boot under the shift. If is not attached correctly it can give the effect of a shaking shifter.
Thanks, I'll double check it but I know it was on correctly last time I was underneath the car.

Baffled by the windows being up or down having an affect on it.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Are the centering springs installed correctly?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by lock View Post
Really I'm going to try this.......mine is not bad at all but just a little.Doesnt brother me but some others hear it...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobotaz View Post
Thanks, I'll double check it but I know it was on correctly last time I was underneath the car.

Baffled by the windows being up or down having an affect on it.
Windows down I'm sure you cant hear it with the exhaust and wind make more noise than the shifter
Old 09-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
autobotaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Windows down I'm sure you cant hear it with the exhaust and wind make more noise than the shifter
Nope I have excellent hearing but I can't feel any vibes through the stick at all. Did it on the way home too.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've done the dynomat and teflon tape and still have vibration at higher RPMs - not bad, but its there.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobotaz View Post
Nope I have excellent hearing but I can't feel any vibes through the stick at all. Did it on the way home too.
shifter noise and window being up/down...I can't imagine a connection. Like someone said, road and wind noise will drown out faint rattles/vibrations in the cabin. If the rattle noise comes on with window up, and goes away with window down...maybe the noise is not from the shifter, maybe it is from the window or door panel and your left ear is no workie workie very well.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
The windows down might change the resonant frequency of the body enough for the particular problem not to vibrate. The frequencies the body exhibits will change based on temperature, windows up, windows down, loading (people in car, objects in car), etc.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote