Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Time to leave the dark side?

I've driven a Toyota Corolla for about a year and a half now (first an '03, now an '07) and I've never like the F-eign thing. I only got the car because I know it gets good gas milage and that Toyota's are known for keeping their value fairly well. As it's always been my intention to trade it in when/before the warranty runs out, this latter issue is key. After reading all the posts here about how American cars are now just as good as foreign ones, I've decided to put a question to all you GM enthusiasts. What is GM's version of the Corolla?

Meaning, if I were to trade in my Corolla for a GM car, what would be the closest match. Important factors are: fuel efficiency, dependability, low depreciation, and ease of maintenance.

As I mentioned before, I don't like my Corolla. I don't like the style, exterior or interior, so I'm not looking for something that looks similar.

My girlfriend does like this car, so I need a good case in order to convince her that we should trade in the car we just got 8 months ago and have had no problems with. Other than the missing hubcap which Toyota wants $90 to replace (yes 90 freaking dollars for one hub cap!).

P.S. I just bought a Chevy "Built for performance, Engineered for Excitement" shirt, and I don't even own a Chevy! Help me out here guys.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I dont know how close these cars are to size of the corolla but they're pretty close.
First idea is a 4 door cobalt. That is the closest in size and price. Then if you want extreme economy there is the aveo that would also be the cheapest. My friend has a pontiac G6 and i like it a lot. It has more interior space than you would expect, and you can get a 2.4 Liter 4 banger if you want fuel economy. This is also bigger than the corolla but the new malibu looks beautiful and you should definitly look at when it comes out.

P.S.
where did you get that shirt?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
How about a 69' Chevelle?

I can guarantee it won't depreciate at all. Dependability, if it has been restored and has a nice crate motor you should be all set. As for fuel mileage, well 2 out of 3 ain’t bad
Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
I've driven a Toyota Corolla for about a year and a half now (first an '03, now an '07) and I've never like the F-eign thing. I only got the car because I know it gets good gas milage and that Toyota's are known for keeping their value fairly well. As it's always been my intention to trade it in when/before the warranty runs out, this latter issue is key. After reading all the posts here about how American cars are now just as good as foreign ones, I've decided to put a question to all you GM enthusiasts. What is GM's version of the Corolla?

Meaning, if I were to trade in my Corolla for a GM car, what would be the closest match. Important factors are: fuel efficiency, dependability, low depreciation, and ease of maintenance.

As I mentioned before, I don't like my Corolla. I don't like the style, exterior or interior, so I'm not looking for something that looks similar.

My girlfriend does like this car, so I need a good case in order to convince her that we should trade in the car we just got 8 months ago and have had no problems with. Other than the missing hubcap which Toyota wants $90 to replace (yes 90 freaking dollars for one hub cap!).

P.S. I just bought a Chevy "Built for performance, Engineered for Excitement" shirt, and I don't even own a Chevy! Help me out here guys.

Your best bet is to look at a Saturn ION. Guy at work just baught one and they are very nice and well done. Even some gimicks like MP3 player jack on the radio and such. Other choice is the Pontiac G6, Ford Fusion, uhh low end Chrysler 300, Dodge avenger.. Thats pretty much all I can think of under the low 20k's and 4 door with decent gas mileage.. low depriciation all depends on the market so that changes monthly.. even with your corrola.

Dependablility all depends on the maintenance you perform (with a few exceptions.. like any daewoo for example). If your the type that just wants to change the oil and air filter for the life of the car.. well thats not maintenance so now your testing certain aspects of the vehicle and thats another topic. ANY CAR and I repeat ANY CAR(except daewoo) will last 150k miles + with proper maintenance.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
I'm not worried about the size or number of doors of the car. All I'm looking for is a car that will get me from point A to point B without my having to worry about it breaking down and costing me extra money. This car is my "economy" car, the Camaro will be my fun car. As such, I'm not looking specifically for any performance features in this car. They would be an added bonus, but overall cost is the overriding factor.

I figure cost with these items: The cost of the car (obviously), fuel efficiency, cost to insure, short-term risk of maintenance issues in the first 45-60,000 miles (reliability), and the amount I can trade it in for 3-5 years down the line (depreciation). If all those are as good or better than my current Corolla, the only other things it needs are 4 wheels and an engine. I would prefer a Chevy or Pontiac, but it's not a deal-breaker.

AirGoya: I got the shirt at a place called Steve and Barry's at an outlet mall in Auburn, WA(SuperMall my ass!). Their shirts were 2 for $15, so I also got a "Viva La Camaro" shirt.

Kyle: I would LOVE to have that car, or even better, a '69 Camaro. Once I get my 5th Gen, I'm going to start working on the rest of the collection: One Z28 from each generation.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Best bet then would be the Cobalt, or if you can spring for a little extra, the Saturn Astra is superb. They sell like hotcakes in Europe. Very fuel efficient and well put together. Since it is new in the U.S. I can't say with certainty what reliability and resale value will be, but it is the nicest compact GM makes, and I think it will suit your needs well. Also, being a hatchback it is very practical as well. Insurance costs should be minimal, especially since pretty much every safety feature you want is standard. The base XE 5 door model starts at about the same price as a nicely equipped Cobalt, and has most of the features you'll really want as standard. I'd give it a look.

Avoid the Ion at all costs. It is one of the worst cars GM has made, and it is being discontinued after 2007 due to its replacement by the Astra. Resale value is non-existent. Nearly all cars have an MP3 jack on the radio now, so that's not really a feature worth mentioning.

If you don't mind going with a Honda, the Fit would be an excellent choice. It has very good fuel economy and by reputation I would imagine good resale value and reliability. Just beware that it is smaller than a Corolla, but it is packaged very efficiently so interior space is still pretty good. It can also be pretty hard to come by. It is being redesigned next year and should be even better, so if you can hold off until then and you can manage to find one, it could be a good choice too.

Hope that helps!
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
Subaru..... look into a lagacy,forrester ,or impreza. very reliable, AWD, and great mpg.
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Oh yeah! Gotta love my Corolla!
jus kiddin'!!!

Quote:
What is GM's version of the Corolla?
Umm, probably their Saturn line. I think that's the American equivalent to most of the Asian counterparts.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
stovt001

In reference to Subaru, I think that might be a bit too pricey, and the AWD hurts mileage. Reliability is superb though.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
69copo
Sorry officer

Drives: CTS/V 2SS/RS Collector
Send a message via Yahoo to 69copo
If you are looking for a reliable and fun car from the Genaral I have always liked the HHR. It has a 4 banger is FWD and will hold 4 full size adults and the best part it a GM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69copo View Post
If you are looking for a reliable and fun car from the Genaral I have always liked the HHR. It has a 4 banger is FWD and will hold 4 full size adults and the best part it a GM.
I think the HHR is the nicest looking one out of what I'd consider GM's Corolla competitors-

Chevy HHR
Chevy Cobalt
Pontiac G5
Saturn Astra (Forthcoming)

The Aveo is a bit smaller than the Corolla, and I doubt you'll like it any more than the Corolla. The Aveo is a Yaris competitor...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
GM has tons of cars to choose from. The interiors are become far more impressive and up to date. We drove something like 8-10 GM (Chevy) vehicles at the state fair. They all blew me away...very nice interiors. Here's my picks.

1. Malibu. Look at it. The d@mn thing looks great. And the price? Starting at $19,950...not bad.

2. Cobalt. Probably less expensive. Very nice drive and handling.

3. Aveo. Small. Compact. Small. Less expensive of the line. ECONOMY.

4. Pontiac G6. You want to step up? Go for the G6 GXP. Look through my pictures in the Dallas state fair thread. It's the black one w/ the wing on the back. THAT was a sweet G6. Very well done.

Stay w/ one of the big three...preferably GM if you can. Chevys are so much nicer now and are a lot more reliabe. Just check out the warranty. They are willing to back up those cars. Poniac has some nice ones. Saturn has also come a long way. But, of all these, I love that Malibu.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Definitely time to leave the dark side And you shan't be dissapointed!

If you can swing it - Go with the new Malibu. It's a beaut, and a sure winner

If you can't, or don't want to (you mentioned the Camaro). Then you can't lose with the Cobalt. If you can get past the plastic (which really isn't bad at all), that little bugger is quick, even in base trim. It's got the Ecotec 2.2, which yields both 34mpg, and 150,000+ miles of enjoyment. Afterall, it's designed, to not have to change your coolant untill then, and plugs are good for 100,000 miles, though I wouldn't risk it.().
Trunk room is generous. I can easily fit 3 adult bodies, er, people in there.

If you want a purely economy car, you can try the Aveo...but, well - I didn't fit in it comfortably. I'm about 6'...so Cobalt it was.

The G5 is basically pontiac's Cobalt, rebadged. and more expensive. Saturn has the ION...I almost nabbed one of those, but no-go. they "sold out" .
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
stovt001

I have a Cobalt, and it is indeed quick. The plastic is pretty cheap, but the engine is powerful for the class and has a nice power curve. I seldom have to take the thing about 4000 RPM unless I really want some fun, but otherwise around town it is really easy to drive smooth and steady. Good passing power. My commute is fuel efficiency hell. It is half going up and down hills at 80mph, and half bumper to bumper traffic. Even after all that (and with my lead foot) it averages 26 mpg. When my fiancee drives, it averages 30 no problem, even in mixed driving.

The trunk is huge, but a caveat is that the trunk opening itself is rather small, especially on the coupe, so filling that huge cavern is a bit difficult Rear seats split 60/40 and fold down.

Maintenance costs are very low. Due to an improved oil filter design, you can go 7000 miles between changes. Its scary at first, but then once you realize the car can do it, it is very nice. Chevy dealers tend to have low service rates also, if you're into services at the dealership. It is also insurance friendly, especially if you get one with ABS and side curtain airbags, which I highly recommend (when I got mine it was optional on the bottom trim and standard on all others. I don't know what it is now, but either way they are very affordable options).

Depreciation hasn't been too bad so far, and with further reductions to fleet sales it should be even better as time goes on.

So I can vouch for the Cobalt by personal experience. I'm affording it without a sweat on a college budget, and I commute an hour each way to work every day, so I drive it a LOT. I hear very good things about the HHR and the new Saturn Astra, so by all means check those out as well, but I can personally verify that the Cobalt is a very solid choice.