Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Abdi
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LE
Oil consumption with GM oil separator (1LE)

My car has 3,100 miles on it. I just finished a two day event at NJMP and during the event I checked my oil level after the first 20 minute session and noticed it was right about the middle hole on the dip stick so I put in about 1/3 of a quart to top-it off. I would check the oil after every 20-30 minute session and I noticed that the oil was at the middle point on the dipstick every time after even though I was putting in about a 1/3 - 1/2 quart to top it off before each session. On the last session I did not add oil and I had no further oil consumption.

I never worried to much because I figured I was probably evaporating some due to the extremely high ambient temperature of 98-102F all day and the heavy use.

I did change the factory oil the night before the event; I used Mobil1 5W-30 and Mobil1 oil filter.

I have little to no experience maintaining the LS3 motor all of my experience is with BMW's and Subaru motors but I thought that maybe I was also pushing the oil out thru the oil separator.

What are your thoughts?

~Abdi
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I know if you had a BMW out on a track day you'd need far more than a quart of oil!
Same thing with a Subaru! haha

I've always had bad luck with Mobil 1 burning off in my cars--anything with a turbo especially.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
it will collect in the 1LE seperator than slowly drip back in. i run a catch can and a 1LE seperator works well.

also using not shit oil would help on a road course is recommended
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Last month I also did a 2 day HPDE at NJMP,I also use Mobil 1,do not have a catch can and used virtually no oil.My car has 18000mi.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Abdi
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I know if you had a BMW out on a track day you'd need far more than a quart of oil!
Same thing with a Subaru! haha

I've always had bad luck with Mobil 1 burning off in my cars--anything with a turbo especially.
My STi with 80,000 miles and well over two dozen track days didn't burn much oil. I did cook wheel bearings often. So much that I used to bring spares with me to the track.

The BMW was a whole different story. That thing burned oil, leaked oil out of the valve cover, oil pan and filter housing. And that's not even the worst of it.
I wouldn't recommend a BMW to anyone. Ever!

Mobil is not my first choice. I've barely had the car two months and this track day happened sooner than expected. I have traditionally used Motul or Redline for motor, tranny, diffs, etc... if I have a hard time finding Motul I look for Redline.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Abdi
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
it will collect in the 1LE seperator than slowly drip back in. i run a catch can and a 1LE seperator works well.

also using not shit oil would help on a road course is recommended
Catch can is on the shopping list.

See my post above about the oil I use. What oil do you use? Do you use a different weight?

Good to know that the oil drips back in.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
amsoil z rod 10 30...sorry for late reply

catch can and 1LE seperator have worked for me....dont use any oil at the track my intake tube, throttle body and intake mani are clean as a whistle
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
freedomintheskies

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post
My car has 3,100 miles on it. I just finished a two day event at NJMP and during the event I checked my oil level after the first 20 minute session and noticed it was right about the middle hole on the dip stick so I put in about 1/3 of a quart to top-it off. I would check the oil after every 20-30 minute session and I noticed that the oil was at the middle point on the dipstick every time after even though I was putting in about a 1/3 - 1/2 quart to top it off before each session. On the last session I did not add oil and I had no further oil consumption.

I never worried to much because I figured I was probably evaporating some due to the extremely high ambient temperature of 98-102F all day and the heavy use.

I did change the factory oil the night before the event; I used Mobil1 5W-30 and Mobil1 oil filter.

I have little to no experience maintaining the LS3 motor all of my experience is with BMW's and Subaru motors but I thought that maybe I was also pushing the oil out thru the oil separator.

What are your thoughts?

~Abdi
Sounds like you may be experiencing some crankshaft windage issues. If you leave the level at the mid point on the dipstick do you continue to lose oil or does it maintain its point on the dipstick? If so, then I think you have your answer...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
checking oil on a hot recent running engine you should always know a lot of oil will be trapped in the upper valve train and not running down ...and this is good and means the oil is thick and coats well, continue adding oil til it flows out exhaust is the way to go.....................lol The only real good way to check the oil is with the engine cold on level ground