Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #43
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Muscle cars are historicaly associated with 1/4 mile drag raceing, hence muscle cars are about straight line speed and not much else. Sports cars are about speed, handleing, brakeing etc... it is about the total package. The camaro is a modern 2+2 sports car with a nameplate that has a muscle car heritage.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #44
truth411

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfire350 View Post
The Porsche 911 has a v8, I did not know that
Ha, ha, funny. no the porsche does not have a v8. But having a V8 is not the determining factor on whether a car is a muscle car or a sports car. Hence the Vette, it has a V8 and is not a muscle car. Now before you say "yah but the vette is a 2 seater", very true, but the vette is a sports car because of its handleing. There are plenty of 2+2 sports car coupes. the 911 is a 2+2 sports car, the M3 Coupe is a 2+2 sports car, heck the GT-R is a 2+2 sports/Super car. The reason these cars are sports cars is because of their ability to corner and brake JUST as good as going fast in a straight line. Again muscle cars are about 1/4 mile drag raceing and hence muslce cars are about straight line speed and thats it. Sports cars are about total performance which includes cornering and brakeing. The camaro is a modern 2+2 sports car.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #45
enginjoe

Drives: 2002 SS + 2003 SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserayjames View Post
My opinion is that any car over 350 HP is a muscle car.
Then my neon SRT-4 is a muscle car? Not in my book.
enginjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #46
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Ok as someone who owns a muscle car they are full bodieed 64-74 Family type cas with a big flipping engine in them, GTO, Chevelle, NOVA, Charger & Challenger (old ones), ECT you can fit the whole family in the car plus food when we went to the store & Hull butt around afterwards. (5-6 seaters)

The Camaro is a Pony Car & thats what it is made for same with the Mustang. They are now classified as Sports COUPE because you can only fit 4 people in them (if they are small)

a sports car is a 2 seater that can scream down any track or road with out a problem, Corvette, GT500, Viper, Lambo.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #47
truth411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczlover View Post
Ok as someone who owns a muscle car they are full bodieed 64-74 Family type cas with a big flipping engine in them, GTO, Chevelle, NOVA, Charger & Challenger (old ones), ECT you can fit the whole family in the car plus food when we went to the store & Hull butt around afterwards. (5-6 seaters)

The Camaro is a Pony Car & thats what it is made for same with the Mustang. They are now classified as Sports COUPE because you can only fit 4 people in them (if they are small)

a sports car is a 2 seater that can scream down any track or road with out a problem, Corvette, GT500, Viper, Lambo.
Again, useing your logic would you say the Porsche 911 is a pony car, a M3 coupe a pony car etc... especially the M3 coupe. both the camaro and the M3 have a V8, IRS, LSD, 6spd transmissions, Brembo Brakes etc...
Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #48
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Again, useing your logic would you say the Porsche 911 is a pony car, a M3 coupe a pony car etc... especially the M3 coupe. both the camaro and the M3 have a V8, IRS, LSD, 6spd transmissions, Brembo Brakes etc...
If you re read what I posted I said that they are NOW classified as SPORTS COUPES.Not only that the Porsche You can not fit 4 people in, PONEY CAR 4 people big engine!!!!!!!

Porsche 2 People Small engine Sporty Car

Then you want to get in to the SPORTY cars are the MR2, the Fieros, (anything Honda or any Japanize type cars)

Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #49
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Sport cars have no back seats.for a very long time in america,the Corvette was the only american sports car.Then along came the viper ,now we have the solstice too.Muscle cars have back seats,and alot of HP .

And Foriegn cars do not qualify as muscle ,no matter what .When the last time you heard "German muscle" or "Japanese muscle" ?
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #50
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:

Ummm....the GT500 has four seats, dude.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #51
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

From the merriam-webster dictionary
Main Entry: muscle car
Pronunciation: \-ˌkär\
Function: noun
Date: 1969
: any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving

From the urban Dictionary
1. muscle car 340 up, 74 down
An automotive vehicle from the 40's, 50's, 60's, or 70's characterized by big displacement V-8s, big tires, chrome wheels, dual exhuast, racing stripes or flames, blowers, and speed.
"In a 15 year bloom, before tightening emission regulations and rocketing gas prices stamped extinct on an entire breed of cars in the '70s, America's automobile industry produced the most memorable cars built anywhere, anytime: "The American Muscle Car." While today's modern squeaky clean cars may approach the performance numbers put up 35 years ago, they will never duplicate the rush generated by 400-plus cubic inches fighting for tracion through period bias-ply tires. Pity today's car enthusiasts who think variable valve timing is the hot setup."
-Bruce Armstrong
by Wicked76 Sep 28, 2003 share this 2 comments
muscle car images
An Australian muscle car, a Holden Monaro 1968 HT GTS (350 Chev) For the Americans, think Chevy Camaro '69-'71
1of 2

2. muscle car 212 up, 44 down
An American performance car from the early 60's to the early 70's. They were generally an upgraded varient of a less powerful family car. Companies such as Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Dodge, and Plymouth joined the game. They all followed the same basic rules. 1.there is no replacement for displacement 2. there is no subsatute for cubic inches 3.horsepower sells motors, but torque wins races. The basic idea was to get the biggest engine and stick it in the smallest car avaliable at the time. The muscle car era was killed by inflating gas prices, emissions, and the cracking down of insurance companys.
Buick GSX, Olds 442, Chevy Nova, Plymouth Cuda, Dodge Charger etc.
by Derty Jul 12, 2004 share this add comment
3. muscle car 178 up, 75 down
Late model 2-door (usually) American car with a muscular appearance and more displacement, HP, and TORQUE than 3-5 rice motors (aka hamsters). Minimal cost/speed ratio; no JDM bling required for coolness. Destroys rice cars on impact. Large and comfortable, especially for those who aren't 5'5" and 120 lbs.

Occasionally seen sporting a slight lift in rear suspension. Internals are easy to access for maintenance/upgrade, unlike certain other vehicles (coff coff). Contrary to popular belief, will run until the apocalypse if the oil is changed every 3000 miles

Fast stock.
There's no replacement for displacement.

Muscle Car Driver: "Hey, how bout this: we race with 6 people in each car"
Ricer: "*GULP*"
Muscle Car Driver: "That's what I thought"

How many muscle era imports do you see driving around? Case-in-Point
by Big Tim Jul 9, 2004 share this add comment

4. muscle car 121 up, 26 down
American built car usually made from 1964 to 1974. These cars were typically low-cost, midsized family cars with larger engines taken from full size performance cars from 1960-1963. These cars are fast, durable, and easy to repair/modify. Typically seen winning drag races. Some cars that don't meet all these criteria can be considered muscle cars (such as the 1963 Ford Galaxie... expensive, full-size car, made before the "muscle car" era, but has a muscle engine and a long history of racing success)
Ford Fairlane, Ford Torino, Ford Mustang (only when equipped with 390+ cubic inch engines), Mercury Cyclone, Chevy II Nova, Chevy Chevelle, Pontiac GTO, Dodge Dart, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger
by Lee Mar 25, 2005 share this add comment
5. muscle car 118 up, 31 down
A mid-sized American performance car with a ground-pounding, 400-plus cubic inch, 400 plus horspower big-block with enough torque to sustain the earths rotation on the crankshaft. Usually seen stomping techno-wonder Imports and over-priced super cars. Can be fixed or modified by the average joe that doesnt have mommy\daddy to buy things for them for getting a good mark in school.Loud, proud, rude and crude, these are real mens cars.
Dodge Charger RT, Chevellle SS 454, Hemi 'Cuda, Camaro SS, Olds 442, 427 Corvette etc.Muscle car

So what if you have more horspower per liter, i have more horspower PERIOD.
a weak motor does not make up for a light car
my lug nuts require more torque than your engine makes
muscle-car hot rod musle car mucsle car yeah.
by Roseau Nov 29, 2005 share this 1 comment
6. muscle car 111 up, 38 down
1)A term usually assigned to mid-sizd, American cars produced in the mid 60's to mid 70's with oversized engines and light chassis.

2) Any rear-whel drive car made to go fast.
1) This hemi roadrunner is a classic example of a muscle car.

2) My big block Chevette can really **** up some import crap!!
by DoctorThrottle Apr 28, 2004 share this add comment
7. muscle car 107 up, 35 down
A car worthy of being called and not just a little piece of shit that was wound up at the fact 7-8 million times before being released into the American Market.
Muscle Car: 5.7L --- Sounds nice, is nice, is fast, bye bye rice.

Riceburner: 1.6L --- sounds like s, is t, is slow, s i lost.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #52
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Ummm....the GT500 has four seats, dude.
HUM NOT A DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUDE

Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #53
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
... It was Pontiac's John DeLorean that first did an end run around the engine size limit policy by installing the 389 from the full size Pontiac into the Tempest, thus creating the GTO. All the other GM divisions soon developed their own intermediates with engine from their full size models. Thus, a "muscle car" was an intermediate size body given additional "muscle" by installation of a large displacement engine previously offered only in full size models. Obviously, much has changed since then, and the Camaro doesn't fit that category, so call it what you will but it ain't a "mucle car" in the classic sense.

Bob
i think Bob explained it best.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #54
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
HUM NOT A DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUDE
Sorry, I was on my way out of work and made the quick reply without looking at the person who said it.

Last edited by garagelogic; 01-14-2009 at 07:14 AM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #55
SyN

Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Well my co-worker says my opinion is wrong because Car and Driver, Motortrend, and road and track don't list it the newer models to be Muscle Cars.. only 60s and 70s are listed as muscle cars..

I still disagree.. those are opinions of people who have the ability to put there opinions or what they say in a magazine.. because I don't means I'm wrong?

If Cheverolet itself says its not a muscle car whatsoever then I'll agree.. until then I'll still continue thinking that the New Camaro V8 SS is a muscle car.. just new and improved.
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #56
liquidfire350

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Ha, ha, funny. no the porsche does not have a v8. But having a V8 is not the determining factor on whether a car is a muscle car or a sports car. Hence the Vette, it has a V8 and is not a muscle car. Now before you say "yah but the vette is a 2 seater", very true, but the vette is a sports car because of its handleing. There are plenty of 2+2 sports car coupes. the 911 is a 2+2 sports car, the M3 Coupe is a 2+2 sports car, heck the GT-R is a 2+2 sports/Super car. The reason these cars are sports cars is because of their ability to corner and brake JUST as good as going fast in a straight line. Again muscle cars are about 1/4 mile drag raceing and hence muslce cars are about straight line speed and thats it. Sports cars are about total performance which includes cornering and brakeing. The camaro is a modern 2+2 sports car.
yah, but the vette is a 2 seater

couldnt help myself on that one

the reason behind me making a list was that every condition had to be met, you cant just look at it going it has rwd so it must be a muscle car even tho its a ford ranger. or it has only two seats so it must be a sports car even tho its, yet again, a ford ranger
liquidfire350 is offline   Reply With Quote