Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #29
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
the coilover springs are linear, the drop springs are progressive.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #30
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post

Rob, please provide a link to or documentation that states this.

The drop springs were presented to many people on here as being linear in multiple conversations...(not by you).

Thank you,
Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; 03-11-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #31
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Rob, please provide a link to or documentation that states this.

The drop springs were presented to many people on here as being linear in multiple conversations...(not by you).

Thank you,
Matt
Pictures of the Pedders springs show the fronts looking like linear rate springs and the rears looking like progressive. Notice the spring wrap is not uniform but closer together at one end. I did read that they were a dual rate spring. The wrap does look like it confirms that.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #32
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

And here we have confirmation:

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The answer to your questions are as follows:

Front coil 220032, Linear Rate, 130Lb/inch or 2.3Kg/mm
Rear Coil 220033, Linear Rate, 433Lb/inch or 7.8Kg/mm

I hope this is of some assistance to you.

Regards,

Pedders Expert | Pedders Suspension

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\c lip_image001.jpg[/IMG]
CONFIDENTIALITY/LIMITED LIABILITY STATEMENT
This e-mail (and any files transmitted with it) is confidential and intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, then you have received this e-mail by mistake and any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail and its file attachments is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately either by telephone or by reply e-mail, delete the misdirected e-mail from your system and destroy any copies you have made of it. Please scan any attachments for viruses and defects; whilst we take extensive precautions to protect our emails from the possibility of viruses we do not accept any liability for any loss or damage which may arise from your receipt of this e-mail. Our

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, 10 March 2014 12:25 AM
To: Ask an Expert
Subject: Form (Ask an expert) has been submitted on 09-03-2014

Form (Ask an expert) has been submitted on 09-03-2014 Their details are as follows:

-------------------------------
formId: 9
first name: Matt
last name:

phone mobile
email:
state: VIC
postcode:

comments questions: Hello,

Are your Sport Ryder springs for the 2010+ Camaro (220032/220033) Linear or Progressive. What are the springs rates?

Thank you,
Matt

subscribe to our newsletter:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #33
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
The springs are progressive, you can't really rate a progressive spring like that.
Quote:
or maybe he's just wrong.
Quote:
It's a progressive spring, the rate changes with compression, so to give you a rate will depend upon the compression.
Quote:
Rob,

As you can read in the above post I logged onto the Pedders.Au site and asked them directly about Sport Ryders and provided the parts number. The response is the same rates that the OP received from Pedders UK and they state they are linear rates.

From your quotes you seem very adamant that the springs are progressive....Can you provide any documentation to back this?

This is not to put you on the spot...I want to know what is on my car as they were present on the forums as being linear and the reason I used them.

Thank you,
Matt
Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #34
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
You are right, i am wrong.
The springs that i was using for reference were the prototype springs that i did the initial install of for Pedders back in 2010, those were progressive, but we were not happy with them and pulled them off in place of the other springs, i didn't notice the change myself, sorry about that.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #35
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
You are right, i am wrong.
The springs that i was using for reference were the prototype springs that i did the initial install of for Pedders back in 2010, those were progressive, but we were not happy with them and pulled them off in place of the other springs, i didn't notice the change myself, sorry about that.
Not a problem! I purposely sought out linear rate springs last year and that is why I went with the Pedders.....Had they not been linear it had me rethinking my set-up.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #36
chuckclanton

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2LT
Now that the Pedders spring rates have been confirmed, I like the idea of the soft springs up front! Ordered a pair from summit racing, be here tomorrow. Will remove front Hotchkis springs and install the Pedders. Rears are basically the same 440# vs 443#. Too bad I could never find the Pedders rates before putting in the Hotchkis.
chuckclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #37
Btrbimmer

Drives: 2SS 1LE Silver w/Recaro NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckclanton View Post
Now that the Pedders spring rates have been confirmed, I like the idea of the soft springs up front! Ordered a pair from summit racing, be here tomorrow. Will remove front Hotchkis springs and install the Pedders. Rears are basically the same 440# vs 443#. Too bad I could never find the Pedders rates before putting in the Hotchkis.
Why remove the Hotchkiss in the front? What issue are you trying to resolve?

Thanks!

Btrbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #38
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrbimmer View Post
Why remove the Hotchkiss in the front? What issue are you trying to resolve?

Thanks!
The OP can answer why He is doing it......

But in general one way to increase front grip and reduce understeer is to run a softer front springs. As he already has front and rear springs I assume that is his reasoning.

On your stock car you can accomplish a similar result by increasing the rear springs rate and leaving the front springs stock.

If you are lowering for looks only the above is not as important.

-Matt
Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #39
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Are Pedders rear 1" lowering springs still available? I thought they went out of business and, therefore, no longer available. I do see 1.5" rear drop springs for the SS on Summit Racing, but the only 1" rear drop springs are for convertibles only. I am not sure if they are selling whats left in stock, or if these are being produced by Pedders UK still.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #40
chuckclanton

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
The OP can answer why He is doing it......

But in general one way to increase front grip and reduce understeer is to run a softer front springs. As he already has front and rear springs I assume that is his reasoning.

On your stock car you can accomplish a similar result by increasing the rear springs rate and leaving the front springs stock.

If you are lowering for looks only the above is not as important.

-Matt
Exactly! I replaced the front hotchkis with the pedders to improve front grip as well as raise the front a 1/4 in to match the hotchkis rears in ride height. I like fixing the end that isn't working. Ran an autocross since with good results. No more turn in issues as the car rotates much better and exit well under power. Also the ride is better!
chuckclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #41
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Are Pedders rear 1" lowering springs still available? I thought they went out of business and, therefore, no longer available. I do see 1.5" rear drop springs for the SS on Summit Racing, but the only 1" rear drop springs are for convertibles only. I am not sure if they are selling whats left in stock, or if these are being produced by Pedders UK still.
"Pedders" did not go out of business. PeddersUSA the US distribution company is under a forced bankruptcy. Pedders.AU is the parent company (Australia not UK). What is not known at this time is what is going to happen once the court proceedings are over, will PeddersUSA come back, will Pedders stop suporting the US market, or some other distribution here. Last I checked, PeddersUSA was still listed as the US distributer on the pedders.com.au website. (Just checked, still is) My guess, and that is all it is, is Summit has left over parts. Rob@wretchedms (vendor on here) also had some Pedders parts left as well.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #42
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
"Pedders" did not go out of business. PeddersUSA the US distribution company is under a forced bankruptcy. Pedders.AU is the parent company (Australia not UK). What is not known at this time is what is going to happen once the court proceedings are over, will PeddersUSA come back, will Pedders stop suporting the US market, or some other distribution here. Last I checked, PeddersUSA was still listed as the US distributer on the pedders.com.au website. (Just checked, still is) My guess, and that is all it is, is Summit has left over parts. Rob@wretchedms (vendor on here) also had some Pedders parts left as well.
Thanks a lot for the info man, much appreciated.