Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
SixFive

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Oily film on engine???

Hi all. Maybe I am being overly cautious about my baby but......

I got myLS3 about a week ago it has about 230 miles on it. Tonight I went to install my cai and noticed an oil type spray pattern over the front part of the engine. Fairly fine drops with a couple small puddles around the ridges in the air box.

I am curious if anyone else has seen this on their camaros? I am thinking it is just lube on the pilots and belts that is flying off in the first few miles but I want to be sure. I am hoping that Cecelia will be getting her Corsa cat back installed on friday rather than be in in for a warranty check up.

I have had many new cars but never paid such close attention to the engine bay so soon.

I ran the car and watched for 30 min but so no spray or leaks underneath. The air filter shows no signs of oil.

Am I worrying too much?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
SixFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
SixFive

Sorry. I probably should have posted in the warranty subject
Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
SixFive

Anyone?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Could it possibly be coolant (or some other fluid) that the dealer just made a mess with when they were topping the car off at some point?

If you leak checked it for 30 minutes and didn't see anything, I wouldn't worry about it. Just wipe it down really well (if you haven't already), check it for anyhting new occasionally until you're convinced it's nothing.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFive View Post
Hi all. Maybe I am being overly cautious about my baby but......

I got myLS3 about a week ago it has about 230 miles on it. Tonight I went to install my cai and noticed an oil type spray pattern over the front part of the engine. Fairly fine drops with a couple small puddles around the ridges in the air box.

I am curious if anyone else has seen this on their camaros? I am thinking it is just lube on the pilots and belts that is flying off in the first few miles but I want to be sure. I am hoping that Cecelia will be getting her Corsa cat back installed on friday rather than be in in for a warranty check up.

I have had many new cars but never paid such close attention to the engine bay so soon.

I ran the car and watched for 30 min but so no spray or leaks underneath. The air filter shows no signs of oil.

Am I worrying too much?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hello!!

I might of interest to you to type the words "oil catch can" in the search engine on this forum.

This topic has received a lot of attention and discussion.

Basically it seems there is a tendency of the LS3 engines to accumulate oil around the front of the intake manifold on both sides of the MAF sensor (before and after)

There are several threads on the subject inclusive of docuemnted photo evidence and ... well, lest say I got so convinced I'm ordering one myself next week even if I have not found this issue yet in my own CAMARO.

I don't recall if anyone mentioned the oil fil leaking outside of the intake tract bu I think it is conceivable that a large acummulation of oil canf ind its way out.

It is worth checking any way.

Happy trails, Kemosabe

The Flash
Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
SixFive

Despite my best efforts to recreate the potential issues I could not. I'm very happy about this and am going to chock it up to sloppy dealer prep. Thanks much for the responses fellas.