Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
Yes, but did GM put it through the "kids with hoses" water torture test?
I think there is a little bit of 'kid' in every Chevy engineer that gets to play/work on this car.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODN13x View Post
if you payed attention you would notice the air intake is not even close to the hood vents....millions of dollars of R&D and "oh damn what if it rains"....really
Wow that's harsh...sorry my knowledge of all things camaro is not as extensive as yours...i thought it was a fair question
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
What he said!

I wish you could see what we do to our cars and trucks to ensure that they will not ingest water..........
i agree with Mr settlemire,
also... how many people are even going to think of taking there ZL-1 out of the garage without looking at 36 hour Weather forecast... if there is over a 30% chance of rain.. mmm nah... daily driver comes out... over half the people who drive there camaros now dont wanna take them out during winter.. I do not see a ZL-1 seeing some type of inclimate weather.. unless it rolls in at 550 HP
SteveRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
That would be real stupid if the GM engineers would have missed an important factor such as "would water in the hood vents create a problem?". They're all over it I'm pretty sure
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
I'm sure this has been well thought out by GM. When I toured the Corvette Assembly Plant at Bowling Green, KY I saw the water test they put every production Corvette through. A driver drives the car into the test chamber, and then the water is turned on. The spray is so intense, you can barely see the tail lights of the car, let alone what color it is! All the time the factory worker is inspecting the inside of the car for water leaks. Oh and engine is running too, I believe.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
As You can see from this picture how they designed it to scoop the water and channel it to the front and I'm sure as the hood closes, the channel matches a gateway for the water to get out without getting into engine bay.

actually, its made like that to vent the air out. and the reason one side of it is "blocked" is because the intake tube sits right where the "scoop" would be if it wasnt.

see my crappy MS Paint edit below. imagine the hood was closed. the green portion is where the intake tract would be with the hood closed.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
The auto show was a hood-shut show, so was unable to take any detail pics of the underside...

Some other car close-up pics here:

http://www.planetlsx.com/vehicles/20..._Auto_Show/157
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODN13x View Post
millions of dollars of R&D and "oh damn what if it rains"....really
Then how would you explain the 1982 Crossfire Injection water ingestion issues? I saw quite a few crossfire cars up on the lifts getting new engines put in under warranty back in those days. Some engineer wasn't thinking outside the box when they signed off on those flapper seals.

Although I do admit they're likely not to have those issues nowadays. I think GM learned a valuable lesson with those '82s.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
Tonyzblkmaro
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '10 Black Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
goto my pics under smokin bowties car show and you can see the full pic

RK Sport rear spoiler
BMR 1" lowering springs
15% Tint all around
CF front and rear bowties
Blacked out side marker and reverse lights
AAC Blue LED interior and trunk lighting
AAC high intensity headlights
Chevy bowtie anti-theft tire stem caps
Tonyzblkmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
The hood has been designed to not allow water into the engine compartment. I hope that answers your questions.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Then how would you explain the 1982 Crossfire Injection water ingestion issues? I saw quite a few crossfire cars up on the lifts getting new engines put in under warranty back in those days. Some engineer wasn't thinking outside the box when they signed off on those flapper seals.

Although I do admit they're likely not to have those issues nowadays. I think GM learned a valuable lesson with those '82s.
It looks to me like the actual air intake is in the SS/V6 location, which is far away from the extractors. If any water were to come in, it seems only the accessory drive would get any, and that would only be in a car wash or if the car was stationary; at speed, I'm sure no water comes into the extractor area.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #26
RS-ZL1

Drives: Silver RS & ZL1
ZL1 Hood Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Does anyone know if this car will be able to be driven in the rain without it flooding the engine compartment or even be kept outside ? Looks like it will funnel water right into the engine.
Thank you my friend for asking this question and to the rest for your response. I know the answer may be an obvious to a ZL1 owner but I'm a proud owner of a 2010 RS which as no vents and the ZL1 vents was an obstacle for me as I live in Canada. The other obstacle was of course the snow but then I discovered snow tires a few years back and never let winter get in between me and my Camaro. I'm super excited to receive my 2015 ZL1 to be delivered in June.
RS-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #27
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
The hood diverts any water onto a rain deflector that sits on the radiator. The rain deflector diverts any water to the left or right of the radiator.

Hope this helps.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #28
RS-ZL1

Drives: Silver RS & ZL1
Helps a Great deal and it would also help if I finally learned how to use this site. I was actually trying to reply to a threat...but looks like I started a new one. Hey how do I get a profile photo on here?
RS-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote