Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
So far I've been called not very smart, ignorant and said to be whining. The ownership of this car is full of win. Way to represent guys! As soon as someone gives factual information you don't agree with they are the moron. Pull your heads out your ass long enough to at least provide some semblance of a point.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #16
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
So far I've been called not very smart, ignorant and said to be whining. The ownership of this car is full of win. Way to represent guys! As soon as someone gives factual information you don't agree with they are the moron. Pull your heads out your ass long enough to at least provide some semblance of a point.
ok i lets have a respectful debate then. no more name calling.

but you must understand why you were called not smart, ignorant, and whiny. a lot of people saw getting cats a logical thing to do. and you come off and say there is no logical reason behind it. thats like calling me dumb, because i wasted my money on something that has zero logical reasons behind it. look around, a lot of people seem to like running cats.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
For what it's worth, I gutted my rattling high flow cats a few months ago and have had no issues at all with odor or burning eyes. Car sounds a lot better too. The system only had about 1k miles and the passenger cat started rattling. They were out of warranty and I didn't want to have the car down for for long, so I did what I did. No regrets here.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #18
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Anyone that is building a car or motor will go no cats ... Talk to any builders they will go no cats... If YOU want to waste the money on HFC then go for it , But it is really useless ...
I agree with you Black 5th Gen.. We also did some testing with no cats and HFC and did see a little Horsepower drop with the HFC not anything to worry about but just a 1.4 rwhp of a drop. So if you want to waste 300 dollars and lose a hair bit of power then knock yourself out and go get some HFC....IF not and want to cry about smell then Keep your car stock!
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Chill with the name calling and disrespectful posts. If you can't debate a topic in an objective and respectful manner, then don't post it. Or else risk an infraction.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #20
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Advantages to no cats
1. Less expensive
2. Increased exhaust sound
3. Less weight
4. Possible +(2-3) hp or so (reported by Kooks you should see slight HP improvement running no cats, yet some say dyno show no improvement).

Disadvantages to running cats
1. less exhaust sound (could be advantage or disadvantage depending on your sound requirements).
2. More expensive
3. Increased weight compared to race pipe.

Main advantage to running cats.
1. Less smell, better for the environment

So take your pick
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Advantages to no cats
1. Less expensive
3. Less weight
4. Possible +(2-3) hp or so (reported by Kooks you should see slight HP improvement running no cats, yet some say dyno show no improvement).

1. less exhaust sound (could be advantage or disadvantage depending on your sound requirements).
2. More expensive

So take your pick
Logic, who would have knew
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100385

Version II
416ci stroker/4L80e
701rwhp 750rwtq
build and tuned by
SPI-Performance
69 Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Advantages to no cats
1. Less expensive
3. Less weight

2. More expensive

So take your pick
+1 it's nice when people take the time to break things down like this. It helps out those of us who have no idea what some of this stuff does. Thank you!
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #23
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Facts:

Advantages catalytic converters:

1. No Bad Smells (Once they light off)
2. Better for the environment
3. Less raspy exhaust note
4. Emissions legal

Disadvantages of cats:

1. More expensive to buy
2. Cheaper ones can fail
3. Exhaust is slightly quieter
4. Slightly less HP (less than 2HP loss)

Advantages of catless exhaust:

1. No restrictions in exhaust system
2. Less expensive to buy
3. Louder (subjective)
4. Exhaust can shoot flames with 2 step/No-lift-shift

Disadvantages of catless exhaust:

1. Smells horrible in city driving
2. Its illegal. Fine in most states is $2,000-$3,000 if you are caught.
3. Exhaust note is more raspy
4. Won't pass emissions
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #24
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
I ran catless for a few weeks, I hated the smell. After puting on the high flows it sounds alot smoother and smells alot better, glad I did it, not a waste of money imho.
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
So wait, at the risk of being called an idiot, High flow cats will NOT pass inspection? I just ordered a Kooks set up with cats under the assumption I needed them to Pass NC's emissions...

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
So wait, at the risk of being called an idiot, High flow cats will NOT pass inspection? I just ordered a Kooks set up with cats under the assumption I needed them to Pass NC's emissions...
Depends entirely on the state.

Where I am, for OBDII they plug into the PCM and check for codes and readiness monitors. If all is good, off you go.

Other states have a physical inspection of the exhaust, and federal law technically prohibits moving the catalytic converters from their stock location.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #27
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Depends on your county and possibly even city. Some counties just check for codes while others do the sniffer test and few don't even have an emission test, either way if you don't get a tune for the headers you won't pass either one. In Charlotte I'm not sure if they have their own inspection laws or if you have to go by Mecklenburg county's laws so you'll need to ask someone who does them in your area which test is required.

Now with a tune, hi flows will pass the code test and can pass the sniffer test IF you get them hot first. Take the car out for a drive, like ten miles or so first and they'll pass. Don't take it in cold and don't wait in line. Try to be the first person or the next person in line. If you have to wait just come back. I recently had a friend pass the sniffer test with hi flows on her car, however it did take her 3-4 days of her going back and forth for it to finally go in hot enough to pass.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote