Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #43
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
About every car that I was responsible for in my service at a bodyshop for several years (I'd gross almost a million dollars in sales a year, for referrence to how many I'd seen and looked over) had orange peel, just some worse than others. No matter how hard my painters would try, they would always get it - that's just reality. Lighting, like Moose already said, is going to set it off a lot more, with certain bulbs. You won't see some outside, but you'll see them inside, in the paint booth, under those lights. I'd be careful with polishing though, because as the word implies, you're removing material, and that material protects the basecoat. My understanding has been that the car manufacturers put as little paint on cars as they can (I've seen 'Vettes that had Tiger Stripes, or modelling, that was a PITA to paint and we'd have to paint whole sides of cars for a good color blend). With that said, just be careful with polishing the peel out. Have a professional like Moose handle it, because they'll know what to look out for. I had a customer come in once to polish his single-stage Lexus and I noticed, just before the painter started polishing, that half of the bodylines on the car had paint that was so thin the e-coat was showing through what was left of the paint. He wasn't happy with that.

I'm just suggesting orange peel is almost a guarantee with every car - to what degree is going to be what's different

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #44
phatman
Zedder of course...

Drives: 95 Monte Carlo Z34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead 28 View Post
My dealer received a Red Jewel Metallic camaro in this weekend. Wow, I hope all the colors do not look like this car does. It has "Orange Peel" from front to back. Please G.M. take note of this problem and fix it! Has anybody else noticed this problem first hand? I know at this dealership it was the topic for discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I've probably seen 10 show cars (which I suspect get the once over) and 10 production intent cars that have untouched factory paint jobs and they all looked great. Before you go slamming the paint, compare it to other factory paint jobs on the lot.
FWIW the West Paint facility is a brand new state-of-the-art paint shop that is just over a year old. It is highly automated and extreme measures are taken to insure the highest quality paint finish the first time.
I`m sure that other members of this forum could go into far more detail than I in describing the measures that GM goes to insure that the paint is perfect, but to be honest with you I am in mtl hdlg, and could not fully give this dept the credit it is due...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #45
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
Your neighbors are gonna think your crazy
LOL...yea they prolly will but f*ck it...i dont care