Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
blubandit!

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1ss
Where should I start?

Hi guys! I sold my mustang last week and am picking up a 15 1ss with an LS3 tomorrow. I have always played with modular fords and am excited to be trying something different. I have been looking at performance packs from JRE, and will probably be planning on doing LT's, a CAI, a tune, and then who knows what down the road.

Who has the best custom tunes for one of these cars?

Which headers and CAI seem to get the best gains? Seems like after some reading I have noticed that 410-420 rwhp is likely with these mods. What else can be done without breaking into the engine to hit say 450? Any help appreciated.
blubandit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
congrats on the new car! do some searches and you'll find all your answers. I went with boost to get over 450whp. Cold Air Inductions makes an awesome CAI, but there are other brands, too.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
shiznight

Drives: 2010 camaro ss l99
yeah that's about the average. intakes i've noticed with the three brands i've seen dyno'd locally made basically the same hp. tunes i'm not sure since my friend has always been my go to guy here locally. headers i would day avoid pacesetter, i use them now and it's been a year of daily driving everyday to work and car being parked in the driveway with 0 garage type covering and they are already starting to junk out, plus they dont have a true bung, just basically a threaded hole in the collector. ahr or if money is a tad tight you can grab jba's. most seem to have the best luck with these and i'm putting them on my car as soon as i have the time. best to look on facebook for a reputable tuner in your area since this would be the most effective and easiest to contact tuner. here in oklahoma there are three guys that everyone will rave about, and i know in arkansas rhino79 is the man as well as one of the most respected tuners on this forum. welcome to the world of not being in a tuna can ford and enjoy. as far as budget testing and cutting corners i've done the cheapest mods and tested most of it.

intake is more or less what you like to see when you pop the hood unless you are concerned with the .0000000001% of a gain. but do not skimp too cheaply on headers

TSP vvt-1 cam, Headers-catless xpipe, Knn intake 417/422
Nitrous 100 wet shot 520/585
Racestar super 94 17x4.5/17x9.5
highest trap to date 120.6mph
12.0@spinfest. rage
shiznight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
blubandit!

I know that a dyno tune is the best, but I only have one guy in my area and I had him tune my mustang once. I'm not exactly thrilled with letting him tune my junk again. That said I have had real good luck with sct custom tunes for my current F150 as well as a 6.0 diesel I use to have. Just seems to me that the custom tune idea isn't as big with these ls motors as it is with diesel or modular fords
Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i would do a lot of research before you do anything.this site can answer all your questions.just don't jump into a bunch of mods and then find out you like something else better.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
CamaroSS sleeper

Drives: Sleeper_NOT
One Call to JRE and you'll have all the answares.

He has a great write up posted on the forum about actual intake gain results.
CamaroSS sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
blubandit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS sleeper View Post
One Call to JRE and you'll have all the answares.

He has a great write up posted on the forum about actual intake gain results.
I was looking at that earlier. Looks like the cold air inductions with their scoop had the best gains. I will probably give them a call to see what they recommend.