Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
jordan 572

Drives: none
rev limiter question

i have watched youtube videos of a lot of cars doing burnouts and when they hit the rev limiter why does the rpm go down then up till it hits redline then backdown? i know this is what it is suppose to do but why dont doesnt the computer just stop the rpm at red line and hold it there.

jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
phatman
Zedder of course...

Drives: 95 Monte Carlo Z34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
i have watched youtube videos of a lot of cars doing burnouts and when they hit the rev limiter why does the rpm go down then up till it hits redline then backdown? i know this is what it is suppose to do but why dont doesnt the computer just stop the rpm at red line and hold it there.

The rev limiter accually cuts the ignition - at least it does on my bike.

A good driver doesn't hit the limiter because:
a) makes you slower
b) no torque up there anyway...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Nothing in the car will cut the ign, not even the onstar theft it slows it to idle but not off.

The limiter will just keep you from going over.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post

There are "hard" limiters and "soft" limiters that use various methods of control. Basically, don't ride the limiter. It is there as a protective device, not to support incorrect driving. Peak power on the LS3/L99 is at 5,000 so you will go slower banging the limiter. This is not like a step limiter on a drag car.